And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They'll walk away with the Masters Football trophy though :D

Not sure how they stand on FFP but this could be a good time to pick up some players from Juve. Surely they will have to unload some players from the wage bill.
I think Higuain will be joining Sarri at Chelsea for one. Another rumour is them picking up Godin so maybe another centre back on the move. Cuadrado might be on the way out - I wonder how he feels about losing his number 7 shirt. :D

Fish

Banned
Visit site
This years worst kept secret..... Conte sacked.... why 4 days into pre-season? It seems like it was always going to happen but why not back in may.

I think talks have possibly gone on with players, I'm confident if Conte had stayed at least 2 high profile players, possibly more would have wanted a move and would have triggered interest and definitely gone. However, with a new manager coming in I now think that will stem the flow of any decent players (Hazard/Willian etc) leaving, which has to be a very good thing for us.

There will be some movements now at the Bridge, some deadwood shifted and like when all new managers who arrive, they will have a few followers come with them, along with a shopping list which would have been agreed already in principle, in relation to taking the job, if the prices are right for those players though.

Its going to be interesting to watch what happens now and see a new upbeat Chelsea as Conte lost the dressing room towards the end I felt and his choices in the last few matches were very questionable.

The futures Blue :cool:

D

Deleted member 15344

Going to cost more money to get rid of another manager and then more compensation to pay off another club

Not sure if it’s going to keep players at the club due to the club not having CL - still think Willian is looking to leave and Hazard got to be in the mix to replace Ronaldo at Madrid

It’s going to be hard to get continuity at a club that sacks managers every 2 years - also not sure what players will arrive as well as a manager who I don’t think has actually won anything - can see him lasting 6 months ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems like we are in the process of buying Shaqiri for about £13mil - I guess to bolster the strength in depth - the normal sources say they is going to be one more marquee signing arriving possibly still Fekir plus another youngster

It seems also Ward is going to be given a go at being the number GK - he was superb for Huddersfield will be interesting to see if he can step up

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems like we are in the process of buying Shaqiri for about £13mil - I guess to bolster the strength in depth - the normal sources say they is going to be one more marquee signing arriving possibly still Fekir plus another youngster

It seems also Ward is going to be given a go at being the number GK - he was superb for Huddersfield will be interesting to see if he can step up

I saw reports this morning that Klopp wasn't planning on getting in another keeper. Are you happy with that? What about Shaquiri? For £13 million I suppose that it isn't too much of a gamble but with Fekir possibly coming and already having Keita I'm not sure why you'd need him, as you seem to have a decent enough midfield and attack. Would that money have been better spent on a goalkeeper or defender (obviously not for £13 million but put towards the cost of a top class player in those positions)?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe Klopp isn't buying a new keeper. There were reports yesterday that Liverpool had made a £58m bid for Alisson Becker so I'm not entirely convinced that they're going to stick with what they've got. If they're going to make a serious challenge for the title - Karius, Mignolet and Ward aren't going to cut it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I saw reports this morning that Klopp wasn't planning on getting in another keeper. Are you happy with that? What about Shaquiri? For £13 million I suppose that it isn't too much of a gamble but with Fekir possibly coming and already having Keita I'm not sure why you'd need him, as you seem to have a decent enough midfield and attack. Would that money have been better spent on a goalkeeper or defender (obviously not for £13 million but put towards the cost of a top class player in those positions)?

Not sure about the keeper - I think Ward does deserve his chance and with Karius as back up at the moment it’s a risk - I think Klopp just never wants to spend over the odds for a player and he never wants to settle for a second choice. I would have loved Oblak - I think he is the real deal keeper out there but it’s a lot of money

Shaqiri is a cheap squad player who will fill in for a number of roles - we struggled towards the end with a lack of depth and he adds that

That gives us a lot of options and depth for a big season

At the back the one area we are not sure about is a left back behind Robertson , but I think Klopp is happy with the back line and when VVD arrived it improved massively to the point I think going by the stats it was the best in the Prem from when VVD

The goalkeeper is the risk - Ward has a massive chance to step into it , any time he has gone on loan the reports have been nothing but superb for him - this is the season for him to be the number one keeper for both club and country - his potential has been talked about for years - time to show it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ward?? Who the hell is Ward? Surely you'll be going out and buying a top keeper if you want to compete for the league?

I also don't think Shaqiri is good enough for the level Liverpool are at. Maybe as a back-up but surely he wouldn't be happy with that himself? He's one of those players who's only good one in three games and anonymous in the other two. Could see him being a better fit at West Ham, if they hadn't already bought a hundred players.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't believe Klopp isn't buying a new keeper. There were reports yesterday that Liverpool had made a £58m bid for Alisson Becker so I'm not entirely convinced that they're going to stick with what they've got. If they're going to make a serious challenge for the title - Karius, Mignolet and Ward aren't going to cut it.

Which reports are they because all the reports I have seen for the last week is no keeper and Ward being given a chance to be number one - Mignolet is leaving and suspect Karius will be given time to get over what happened

As for Ward - no one knows fully if he can “cut it “ or not until he is given the chance

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which reports are they because all the reports I have seen for the last week is no keeper and Ward being given a chance to be number one - Mignolet is leaving and suspect Karius will be given time to get over what happened

As for Ward - no one knows fully if he can “cut it “ or not until he is given the chance

Gazzetta dello Sport were reporting that yesterday, how true it is I don't know.

I can't see Ward or Karius being good enough options for a team that are wanting to challenge for the title. They need a world class keeper if they're going compete - not convinced Ward or Karius are that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shaqiri hasn't pulled up trees in his time so far in the PL, odd choice.

If Liverpool go with the keepers they have then Liverpool fans should get their tin hats on because every time a soft goal goes in, every spill etc will bring grief. Your keeper weakness has been highlighted by pretty much everyone, ignore us armchair / pub football watchers listen to ex players, managers writers etc. It is clear. If Klopp ignores that then he going Wenger on the subject and that is not good for you. Liverpool are so close to challenging for the title but without a top keeper, see those teams around you and in the top clubs around Europe, then you will fall short again. Very, very strange if that position is not addressed.

As for Ward - no one knows fully if he can “cut it “ or not until he is given the chance - Quite right. Do you reckon City, Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Barcelona, Real, Bayern etc would take that gamble in such a key position though? Okiroku has it right, send Ward on loan for a year and see if he is the real deal. In the meantime get yourselves a genuine top keeper

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chucking Ward in would be an insane gamble. He's only played at Championship level. The smart play is to loan him out to a Prem team this season, with a view to making him first choice the following season if he does well. But then you need a stop-gap for this season.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chucking Ward in would be an insane gamble. He's only played at Championship level. The smart play is to loan him out to a Prem team this season, with a view to making him first choice the following season if he does well. But then you need a stop-gap for this season.

Nah, he's played Premier League before. He played two games for Liverpool last season and did well, he only conceded 4 goals :whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

How did Pope do when he was chucked in , also Pickford as well when he was chucked in

The guy not even started a game yet and been written off by people who not even seen him play I suspect

People talk about Allison yet he didn’t exactly impress in the CL or the World Cup - the could spend £60 on him and he has a mare - why not give a young patient lad a chance , Klopp seems to prefer to do that and it’s paid dividends before , Ward has had his loan periods and it’s now time for him to be given a shot - yep it’s a risk but it’s one Klopp is happy to take and live by - there is no guarantee bringing in someone like Allison will work and the manager isn’t going to spend £100 mil on Oblak

Pope and Pickford are two perfect examples of two young guys given a chance and showing they can do the business- maybe if more top clubs gave young ones a chance more gems will be found

D

Deleted member 15344

Nah, he's played Premier League before. He played two games for Liverpool last season and did well, he only conceded 4 goals :whistle:

In his debut we won 2-1 and Ward made three blinding saves in a space of ten minutes towards the end to help win the match - but then stats wouldn’t tell you that would they

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
In his debut we won 2-1 and Ward made three blinding saves in a space of ten minutes towards the end to help win the match - but then stats wouldn’t tell you that would they

I mean, I was definitely joking, but okay.

Ward might be good, but is he likely to be Alisson Becker, Daniel Subasic, Jan Oblak level good right now? I doubt it but happy to be proven wrong.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did Pope do when he was chucked in , also Pickford as well when he was chucked in

The guy not even started a game yet and been written off by people who not even seen him play I suspect

People talk about Allison yet he didn’t exactly impress in the CL or the World Cup - the could spend £60 on him and he has a mare - why not give a young patient lad a chance , Klopp seems to prefer to do that and it’s paid dividends before , Ward has had his loan periods and it’s now time for him to be given a shot - yep it’s a risk but it’s one Klopp is happy to take and live by - there is no guarantee bringing in someone like Allison will work and the manager isn’t going to spend £100 mil on Oblak

Pope and Pickford are two perfect examples of two young guys given a chance and showing they can do the business- maybe if more top clubs gave young ones a chance more gems will be found
Nobody went into a season with Pope or Pickford as first choice when they'd never had a top flight game. Pope came in when Heaton got injured 3 games into the season. Pickford was third choice at Sunderland when they had an injury crisis to their 1st and 2nd choice keepers towards the end of a season. To go into a season with a guy with no top flight experience as your first choice is nothing short of lunacy.

That said, he cannot be worse than Karius.

D

Deleted member 15344

I mean, I was definitely joking, but okay.

Ward might be good, but is he likely to be Alisson Becker, Daniel Subasic, Jan Oblak level good right now? I doubt it but happy to be proven wrong.
He has all the physical attributes so who knows - got a great chance - but who knows if Allison etc would do well in the Prem - Oblak yes as he is the best keeper in the world

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pickford was thrown in by Sunderland, not a top 4 team. When Everton paid big money for him we already knew he was a reliable keeper, no gamble to take. Liverpool need to be buying that keeper, the one already known. You will happily spend £50-60m on outfield players but not £25-40 on a keeper that could stay with you for the next 10 years, keepers don't seem to move around as much as outfield players. To be a top team you need a top keeper.

Ask yourself this, how far would you have to go down the league before a team would be better off with one of the Liverpool keepers? You are looking at the bottom 1/4 and even then I doubt they would be interested. Would you accept that same situation with any other position?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The obsession with Liverpool has started early this year. I’m gonna dust off my crown paints strip & get back on the bandwagon.
This kind of siege mentality is right up my street