And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

Nobody went into a season with Pope or Pickford as first choice when they'd never had a top flight game. Pope came in when Heaton got injured 3 games into the season. Pickford was third choice at Sunderland when they had an injury crisis to their 1st and 2nd choice keepers towards the end of a season. To go into a season with a guy with no top flight experience as your first choice is nothing short of lunacy.

That said, he cannot be worse than Karius.

You don’t even know who Ward is and yet decided not good enough and it doesn’t matter when they started they both showed that if a keeper is given a chance they may actually show themselves them good enough

Ward has been patient and waited for his chance - he has shown on loan he is a very good keeper and even to the point he is very close to being Wales number one - this is his chance to shown he can do it - but because he isn’t a flashy name with millions paid for he is dismissed immediately. Sometimes players just need a chance

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The obsession with Liverpool has started early this year. I’m gonna dust off my crown paints strip & get back on the bandwagon.
This kind of siege mentality is right up my street

There was a West Ham day yesterday or the day before. All is quiet on the whole club wise so the slightest bit of club info is getting a bite. The keeper issue at Liverpool is a hot one anyway for obvious reasons. To ignore it seems crazy and is bound to be a topic of conversation.

My worry about that Crown strip you are dusting off is that was the era of the short shorts :eek:. I'm hoping they have been eaten by the mice :D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a West Ham day yesterday or the day before. All is quiet on the whole club wise so the slightest bit of club info is getting a bite. The keeper issue at Liverpool is a hot one anyway for obvious reasons. To ignore it seems crazy and is bound to be a topic of conversation.

My worry about that Crown strip you are dusting off is that was the era of the short shorts :eek:. I'm hoping they have been eaten by the mice :D

Short shorts yep!!! I’m gonna look like Jan Molbys dad. Bring back grobballar (?) that’s what I say!! I’m looking forward to the arsenal gang bang, when does that start ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don’t even know who Ward is and yet decided not good enough and it doesn’t matter when they started they both showed that if a keeper is given a chance they may actually show themselves them good enough

Ward has been patient and waited for his chance - he has shown on loan he is a very good keeper and even to the point he is very close to being Wales number one - this is his chance to shown he can do it - but because he isn’t a flashy name with millions paid for he is dismissed immediately. Sometimes players just need a chance
Stop being belligerent. It is clear to anyone that leaving yourself with a first choice keeper who has zero top level experience is nothing short of negligence. You are talking about competing for the title here. Even Arsenal just secured a quality keeper. I have not said Ward is not good enough, I'm just saying it's a ridiculous unnecessary gamble, and not one that any team seriously expecting to challenge for trophies would make.

D

Deleted member 16999

:rofl: Brilliant, Klopp prefers to give youth a chance :rofl:
He’s spent £313 million since he arrived at LPool :rofl:
And before we get the nett spend argument, he hasn’t bought youth and sold old men.
There’s only Trent A-A and Gomez who’s actually established themselves through the system.
Prefers youth :rofl:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stop being belligerent. It is clear to anyone that leaving yourself with a first choice keeper who has zero top level experience is nothing short of negligence. You are talking about competing for the title here. Even Arsenal just secured a quality keeper. I have not said Ward is not good enough, I'm just saying it's a ridiculous unnecessary gamble, and not one that any team seriously expecting to challenge for trophies would make.

Arsenal bought a quality keeper and they've already got Cech, a guy that would walk into Liverpool's team. That's a real sign of progress for Arsenal. They've bought a better and younger keeper, a quality centre half and an impressive defensive midfielder, they've addressed the obvious gaps in their squad. Klopp seems to be going full-Wenger by ignoring the obvious gap in his squad.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arsenal bought a quality keeper and they've already got Cech, a guy that would walk into Liverpool's team. That's a real sign of progress for Arsenal. They've bought a better and younger keeper, a quality centre half and an impressive defensive midfielder, they've addressed the obvious gaps in their squad. Klopp seems to be going full-Wenger by ignoring the obvious gap in his squad.
It’s a control thing. Top managers in any sport don’t like being seen to be influenced by the press, it would be deemed a sign of weakness, it may even be an ego thing. It seems daft to me when he could pick up Joe Hart or jack butland for next to nothing, both would do a job IMO

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arsenal have had an amazing transfer window, which obviously makes me sad and apprehensive as a Spurs fan. But they've had their best window in ten years. They needed a good keeper, centre back and holding midfielder, and they've got all three before August.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Short shorts yep!!! I’m gonna look like Jan Molbys dad. Bring back grobballar (?) that’s what I say!! I’m looking forward to the arsenal gang bang, when does that start ?

Ha ha, that is an image to conjure.

Arsenal will be a different discussion on here this year. I have no idea how they will do but at least the new manager has started to address the obvious problems. Anything this year for Arsenal is a bonus, they have a rebuild on their hands to get them back to the very top table but at least the blindly stubborn approach of the previous manager has ended. Most of last years Arsenal chat was Groundhog Day.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a control thing. Top managers in any sport don’t like being seen to be influenced by the press, it would be deemed a sign of weakness, it may even be an ego thing. It seems daft to me when he could pick up Joe Hart or jack butland for next to nothing, both would do a job IMO

Butland would be the smart choice,throwing in a keeper who no one has ever heard of seems a hell of a gamble 😂

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
:rofl: Brilliant, Klopp prefers to give youth a chance :rofl:
He’s spent £313 million since he arrived at LPool :rofl:
And before we get the nett spend argument, he hasn’t bought youth and sold old men.
There’s only Trent A-A and Gomez who’s actually established themselves through the system.
Prefers youth :rofl:

hang on didnt gomez come from charlton? ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you part of some sort of amateur dramatics society or something - negligence, reacting a touch too much. You would think Klopp had done the worst thing in the world - he is taking a chance on a young promising keeper who has all the attributes to become our number one keeper - it’s his chance to take and it’s something the Klopp has done before with players. I have a feeling he is going to surprise a few

D

Deleted member 16999

hang on didnt gomez come from charlton? ;)
Let’s hope he finds a young keeper as we were categorically told on here after the CL final that was the last time we’d see Karius in a Lpool shirt. :rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you part of some sort of amateur dramatics society or something - negligence, reacting a touch too much. You would think Klopp had done the worst thing in the world - he is taking a chance on a young promising keeper who has all the attributes to become our number one keeper - it’s his chance to take and it’s something the Klopp has done before with players. I have a feeling he is going to surprise a few
If I was a Liverpool fan, after that excellent season you had that was derailed by having a comedian instead of a goalkeeper, and Klopp said he wasn't going all out to buy a top class keeper, I would be absolutely furious.

D

Deleted member 16999

As Karius was concussed and it was all sergios fault why the need for another GK ANYWAY?
Only once Franz Ferdinand phoned Klopp, who knew a band would have such a good knowledge of football ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

If I was a Liverpool fan, after that excellent season you had that was derailed by having a comedian instead of a goalkeeper, and Klopp said he wasn't going all out to buy a top class keeper, I would be absolutely furious.

Why be furious ? What’s the point - Klopp seems to know what he is doing , most of his signings seem to have worked out very well and he seems to know a good player when he sees one - at times players make mistakes that a manager can’t help or predict.

He will trust his scouts , he will no doubt have looked at other players and weighed up the costs and will go with what he thinks is best for the club - over the last 3 years many people have been asking for Ward to be given a chance - now he has other clubs fans seem to be up in arms because an expensive “name” hasn’t been bought. People said he was made when he spent a lot of Gini and then on Mane and then on Salah so I think it’s only right that he is allowed the grace to make his own mind up in regards the GK. I’m actually looking forward to the season with the signings made and will hoping that the Coutinho replacement comes in

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I remember Phil slagging off Sawtooth about his love for Wenger,now he has such a love for Klopp he can't do no wrong.
At least Wenger won something.
I do suspect Liverpool will actually buy a decent keeper soon,IMO they have to if they want success.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading about the stick that Liverpool, Klopp and Liverpool phil are getting re Ward possibly being Liverpools No1. Think people have short memories. Very short. When Pep got rid of Hart he got ripped to bits. It was the right decision but he got ripped to bits. Hart has been played in average teams since and has shown that he is simply not good enough. Roll on England, Southgate dropped him and Pickford has took his chance with both hands. Claudio Bravo came in and was worse than Hart. Pep brought in ederson and was fantastic.
Klopp sees summat in Ward, that quite frankly 99% of us have never even seen play never mind heard of him. And he is slagged off for it coz they should of gone for an experienced keeper. Like City did when we bought Bravo from Barcelona. We all know how that ended up.
Another thing, after England's exit from the World Cup, most pundits and ex players were saying that "WE NEED TO GIVE THE YOUNG ENGLISH PLAYERS A CHANCE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE" to help England to the next level. First time it has happened and a manager is getting slagged off for it. For those that don't know I don't support Liverpool. I support the champions, the Centurions. But I have to applaud Klopp on this one. Just hope that Phil Foden gets a chance in City's midfield alongside some of City's " superstars" to help push into the England squad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just reading about the stick that Liverpool, Klopp and Liverpool phil are getting re Ward possibly being Liverpools No1. Think people have short memories. Very short. When Pep got rid of Hart he got ripped to bits. It was the right decision but he got ripped to bits. Hart has been played in average teams since and has shown that he is simply not good enough. Roll on England, Southgate dropped him and Pickford has took his chance with both hands. Claudio Bravo came in and was worse than Hart. Pep brought in ederson and was fantastic.
Klopp sees summat in Ward, that quite frankly 99% of us have never even seen play never mind heard of him. And he is slagged off for it coz they should of gone for an experienced keeper. Like City did when we bought Bravo from Barcelona. We all know how that ended up.
Another thing, after England's exit from the World Cup, most pundits and ex players were saying that "WE NEED TO GIVE THE YOUNG ENGLISH PLAYERS A CHANCE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE" to help England to the next level. First time it has happened and a manager is getting slagged off for it. For those that don't know I don't support Liverpool. I support the champions, the Centurions. But I have to applaud Klopp on this one. Just hope that Phil Foden gets a chance in City's midfield alongside some of City's " superstars" to help push into the England squad.
How is the Hart situation even remotely similar? Hart was poor and needed to be gotten rid of. All that happened is you bought an overrated keeper in Bravo. Then you spent huge money on Ederson and he was excellent. There was never any suggestion of a young keeper with no top flight experience coming in and being number 1 was there?? Completely pointless analogy. :rofl:

Also, Ward isn't English he's Welsh.