And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

But how many have been Foster's responsibility and how many have been Pickford's?
Don’t know Mickie, but how many has he won compared to Foster?
As much as I brought the stat up, saying he’s behind someone who has played zero games and 10 games is a bit daft, He’s definitely had more than 10 decent games.
Foster was the keeper, then retired, then came back in 2014 and hasn’t played since, as agreed Pickford has been inconsistent this season, but he also gets scrutinised far more than others because he is No1.
Heaton’s been back 10 games and Burnley have won 4, the games Stu_C highlighted previous to that, Hart was in goal.

D

Deleted member 18588

Don’t know Mickie, but how many has he won compared to Foster?
As much as I brought the stat up, saying he’s behind someone who has played zero games and 10 games is a bit daft, He’s definitely had more than 10 decent games.
Foster was the keeper, then retired, then came back in 2014 and hasn’t played since, as agreed Pickford has been inconsistent this season, but he also gets scrutinised far more than others because he is No1.
Heaton’s been back 10 games and Burnley have won 4, the games Stu_C highlighted previous to that, Hart was in goal.

It hasn't helped Pickford that, at £30 m, he was hopelessly over valued an thus attracted a high level of scrutiny.

Couple this with his apparent over confidence and, fair or not, he becomes a target.

D

Deleted member 16999

It hasn't helped Pickford that, at £30 m, he was hopelessly over valued an thus attracted a high level of scrutiny.

Couple this with his apparent over confidence and, fair or not, he becomes a target.
He’s 25 and the stick he took yesterday being a Mackem was 2nd to none.

To be honest he should of been sent off, but Silva not Pickford should be questioned today, Pickford at one point kept us in the game, 3rd goal offside, we should’ve had a pen and our forwards miss chances.....
Pickford is highlighted in a sh!t team, I’d rather over confidence than little, plus, aren’t all the best keepers a bit perculiar.

But let’s remember Nick Pope had a decent season last year!

D

Deleted member 16999

My only post on “ over rated” keepers having seen to much of joe Hart. Pickford reminds me to much of Joe Hart. But does have better distribution. But so does Bravo at City. However, in his first season at City he faced 10 shots and let in 12 goals he was that bad. For me Heaton Pope and Foster are better. Trouble is. They all have there faults. Some age. Some re keeping itself.
As has been said. What has Puckford done wrong standing between the sticks for England. He ups his game for England. But does Stirling. 🤔
Who is top of the league.
Picking on you Tashy me man, are you basing your opinion of Pope on what you saw last season? Or what you read in the media? Sterling is a perfect example of our media bias.;)

D

Deleted member 18588

He’s 25 and the stick he took yesterday being a Mackem was 2nd to none.

To be honest he should of been sent off, but Silva not Pickford should be questioned today, Pickford at one point kept us in the game, 3rd goal offside, we should’ve had a pen and our forwards miss chances.....
Pickford is highlighted in a sh!t team, I’d rather over confidence than little, plus, aren’t all the best keepers a bit perculiar.

But let’s remember Nick Pope had a decent season last year!

Butland, Birmingham to Stoke £3.5m
Pickford, Sunderland to Everton £25m

Both had similar club and representative records at the time of their moves.

Sunderland were clearly harder negotiators.

D

Deleted member 16999

Or the media hype was more significant, plus it isn’t the first time (or last) Everton or other Clubs haven’t paid over the odds.

Like I said to last night, I genuinely don’t rate Pickford that highly, but in current circumstances, imo, he’s the best of a bad bunch.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or the media hype was more significant, plus it isn’t the first time (or last) Everton or other Clubs haven’t paid over the odds.

Like I said to last night, I genuinely don’t rate Pickford that highly, but in current circumstances, imo, he’s the best of a bad bunch.

I'd go with Tom Heaton, he's playing very well at the moment, and it's at the moment that really counts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Butland went to Stoke in 2013 so not really comparable. I really like Butland but at the time we were looking for a keeper he was either out long term or just coming back. It was a risk no club would take. If he gets back to form he is a top keeper.

We bought Pickford after a belting season for Sunderland, plenty of practise at shot stopping of course which can be deceptive. We paid a premium because he is English, nothing unusual in that now. Saying that, keepers can stay at a club for years so if you buy well it is a good investment.

1st year he was excellent, followed by a strong World Cup. Not many critics in Russia. He has come back and been scatty this season. He needs to calm down, work on dealing with crosses and listen to his goalkeeping coach. If he can't do that then yes, he will be another Joe hart unfortunately. I'm hoping he can come back stronger next season and sort his head out.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd go with Tom Heaton, he's playing very well at the moment, and it's at the moment that really counts.
We’re all entitled to opinions, but seriously, Heaton is playing in a poor side at the moment, what have you (or anyone else) seen in just those 10 games he’s played to say that he’s playing very well, at best I’d say he’s been inconsistent after coming back from injury. (Edit: Been fit all season and couldn’t displace Hart)

I do hope he has a worldie today though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry mate, Pope played No PL games this season behind Hart and Heaton, Heaton who’s only played 10 games and Foster who’s conceded more goals than Pickford.

But yet well behind and nowhere near.:unsure:

Take the point on Pope, but what I saw last year was excellent. Heaton looks in good form and isn’t making mistakes,
(probably jinxed now) giving the back four more confidence. Pickford has got worse since the WC last year. Mistakes a plenty at the moment and judgement isn’t great. Foster simply hasn’t done that and has been epic behind an admittedly Championship defence. He will win our PoTS by a landslide.

D

Deleted member 16999

Take the point on Pope, but what I saw last year was excellent. Heaton looks in good form and isn’t making mistakes,
(probably jinxed now) giving the back four more confidence. Pickford has got worse since the WC last year. Mistakes a plenty at the moment and judgement isn’t great. Foster simply hasn’t done that and has been epic behind an admittedly Championship defence. He will win our PoTS by a landslide.
That’s the thing though mate, Pickford conceded more last season, but his good saves outweighed the bad.
Keeper mistakes get judged far more unfairly than the outfield players because of the consequences.
I’m not putting Foster down, I just believe we’ve been spoilt with keepers in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

For me Pope is the best of the lot - shame he was out injured for so long and when he came back Heaton was playing well -

If I was picking three then Foster would be third - and first choice at the moment would be Heaton because since coming back from his injury he took over Hart. But talent was Pope will end up being the No 1 - but hard to judge him this season when he was injured until December

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s the think though mate, Pickford conceded more last season, but his good saves outweighed the bad.
Keeper mistakes get judged far more unfairly than the outfield players because of the consequences.
I’m not putting Foster down, I just believe we’ve been spoilt with keepers in the past.

Yes, on current form, Pickford is down on last season. No doubt he can and was excellent, just not at the moment. I hope he regards form and fast if he’s in the sticks for England. Some of it is pressure because of his profile. Foster used to make mistakes a plenty but is under the radar now this little focus on him.