And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So it’s not the players or officials fault, it’s the governing bodies?

In reality there is blame at all levels, but current Referees on the whole are just not good enough, the pressures at all levels in modern football is ridiculous and having the odd decent Ref doesn’t cut it.

Wearing a uniform doesn’t automatically give someone respect, it’s fell over in society and it doesn’t work on a sports field, even Rugby officials are being questioned more and more.
Ah, that is not entirely what I am saying. Players are trying to cheat the ref, managers are encouraging them to do this. The governing bodies are not coming down hard enough on the players and managers and so helping the refs. VAR will help but it is not being managed well enough at this point.

The refs can also improve but if you look at any behind the scenes programme on them now they are highly professional. Fast tracking ex-pro's is a great idea, particularly the younger ones who have their legs still. I suspect if you look at any official in any sport, look at the decisions from 20 angles in super slo mo then you will have issues. The human eye can only see so much from one position.

In effect, it is a joint approach that is required but I would argue at the moment the players and managers have more ground to make up than the refs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Eh? It is a poor league that's just a fact. Other than Celtic not one of the clubs would be Premier League quality in England, debatable if they'd even be Championship quality.

Since when is the EPL a suitable measure of whether any other product is described as tinpot?

D

Deleted member 15344

I've been shouting for years to get them mic'd up for us to hear but no way will the PL do that as the image of the players and the PL will be there for all to hear. The refs are mic'd up between themselves and I would guess they can be heard by an assesor off field.

Refs are well paid, they are fit. The PL and FA need to back them with punishments, they need to be firm with abuse. Everything is there for this, they choose not to enforce it.
They will never mic up the refs due to the amount of swearing heard by the players

The players just don’t respect the referees- and because of the way the sport is they won’t ever respect them - money , attitude and arrogance from the players and some managers has they think they are above the refs

I remember when Mascherano kept going mental at Bennett and finally he got rightly sent off - you thought a ref has stood up against a player mouthing off and it was a watershed moment , how many have done the same as Mascherano did but it was just a one off.

Just look at the way all the other officials get treated by the players - I used to umpire the highest level in hockey and all the players treated you with respect - if I made a mistake they didn’t shout at me but politely asked me afterwards and it was a two way street if they didn’t understand a decision I gave. There is always the odd one who went over the top - and they just went and sat down for a couple of minutes . It’s the same in rugby , tennis , cricket - all the top sports have officials who are respected for the uniforms they wear

D

Deleted member 16999

Some people live in a dream world, search the internet for assaults on sports officials and NO sport is immune, in fact at the highest level you’d be surprised, anyone remember the Rugby WC qualifier last year?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Because the Premier League is where he's moving to obviously!

Might be worth remembering where English league football would be without its satellite sugar-daddy stepping in when it was on its death bed. One team winning the league 50% of the time, teams banned from European competitions, fans disgracing themselves around the world… all sounds very tinpot to me. But it’s amazing how 10’s of billions can buy a new identity

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be worth remembering where English league football would be without its satellite sugar-daddy stepping in when it was on its death bed. One team winning the league 50% of the time, teams banned from European competitions, fans disgracing themselves around the world… all sounds very tinpot to me. But it’s amazing how 10’s of billions can buy a new identity
Why are you getting the arse on about this? Phil questioned why he would leave Celtic for Leicester when Celtic are the bigger club. I just pointed out that he'd be moving to a much higher standard of league. That's nothing but a fact. Really didn't warrant you getting on the high horse about it. Dearie me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's been said before, but why not get players into refereeing when they retire. Simple answer is they know the grief refs get from players and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole or for any amount of cash. That to me is a real issue as who would be better with correct training to know what to look for, what is going on at set pieces and perhaps, even have a better understanding of where to position themselves to get better views for incidents in and around the box.

Respect has to be earned at anything in life and doesn't come just because an official pulls on a shirt. Watch any sport, at any level, and those officials that don't get too much hassle are those that are clear and accurate with their decision making. Even when they make a mistake, they hold their hands up to the players on the pitch and carry on with the game. Even at Sunday morning level, I'd rather play in a game a) with a league appointed official which is a rare commodity in a lot of leagues except in the top division or two and b) tried to referee to his best ability but without trying to be at the centre of everything.

For me, even in professional sport, the referee has to be seen to be working in conjunction with the other officials. As fans we all say the best refs are the ones you barely notice. They simply blow the whistle, deal with the situation and the game moves on. Sadly Mike Dean isn't like that and so you can understand why incidents like the outburst on Sunday happen. However you also expect the manager to be more savvy and realise their actions will only get reported, the FA will back the ref and the manager will get fined/suspended. And so it goes on. Until the circle is broken and the PL is staffed by good referees capable of not wanting to be centre stage this will keep happening and players and managers will get wound up

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why are you getting the arse on about this? Phil questioned why he would leave Celtic for Leicester when Celtic are the bigger club. I just pointed out that he'd be moving to a much higher standard of league. That's nothing but a fact. Really didn't warrant you getting on the high horse about it. Dearie me.

But you chose to do it by denigrating the Scottish league. Maybe you just don't know the meaning of the word tinpot (its not complimentary) A lot of fans pay good money year in year out for a product you think is tinpot
You sounded off like the over privileged spoilt rich kids we read about... I'll stop there. You've completely forgotten what english league football was (and the very good fortune that took it where it is) and now think its ok to call other leagues tinpot because they didn't get the same good fortune

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you chose to do it by denigrating the Scottish league. Maybe you just don't know the meaning of the word tinpot (its not complimentary) A lot of fans pay good money year in year out for a product you think is tinpot
You sounded off like the over privileged spoilt rich kids we read about... I'll stop there. You've completely forgotten what english league football was (and the very good fortune that took it where it is) and now think its ok to call other leagues tinpot because they didn't get the same good fortune
I just say tinpot when I mean poor or lower standard. I'm sorry if it has some other offensive meaning to you that I didn't know about.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

the money in scotland is holding them back for sure.. celtic and rangers for years being the only good teams.. rangers went down a few and just celtic left.. the other teams are possible league one standard? maybe.. aberdeen are alright .. but the championship because of money has come on and its a very good league.. I dont think celtic would dominate it as they are now.. but give celtic the money the premier league has combined with their fan base they would be a top half premier league side within 2 seasons

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hahahahahhhahaha

Maybe tinpot means they've won old big ears more times than your team.:)
Are you talking about Celtic? Because I've not criticised Celtic. I just pointed out the fact that they play in a sub-standard league. I'm not really sure how a trophy won over 50 years ago has any relevance.