And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We wonder why youth and younger players show no respect to refs when we have the supposed cream and their managers being totally disrespectful to match officials.
Whether the ref got it wrong or someone thinks he said something, the refs uniform has to be respected

D

Deleted member 15344

Why do you keep trying to suggest that incorrectly awarding a corner is on the same level as allowing someone to borrow a couple of yards on a throw? :ROFLMAO: One of those is a massive error, the other one is a bit of leniency that we see in every single game.
Both were crucial to a goal being scored - Rose didn’t just steak a couple of years he stole about 10 to 15 which allowed him to find Kane - Right in front of the linesman and Dyche was rightly annoyed. Swings and roundabouts- Spurs got the benefit of a poor decision as well as being stung by one - nicely balanced and right result

This is amazing! About time he stopped languishing in that league. I've always found him good entertainment value, will be great to see him back in the Prem. I think he's a good fit for the Leicester side as well.

Celtic are a bigger than Leicester and surprised in his biggest season up there fighting against a capable Rangers team he is walking away now - Rodgers will do the same as all the others - mid table

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We wonder why youth and younger players show no respect to refs when we have the supposed cream and their managers being totally disrespectful to match officials.
Whether the ref got it wrong or someone thinks he said something, the refs uniform has to be respected

when I trained to be a referee years ago they said the FA had in its wisdom decided to clamp down on lack of respect and swearing etc from the lower leagues and let it filter up.. they though that stamping it out in the parks would send a message

the referee taking the course said if the FA had any sense they would clamp down on the premier league.. sending rooney off for abusing a referee and that would really send a message but the FA is too scared

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the Sala crash...

"The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has released its interim report into the air accident off the coast of Guernsey on January 21. The official probe has confirmed the part-time pilot David Ibbotson was not qualified to fly paying passengers with his private licence and revealed the owners of US-registered plane had failed to apply for permission to run commercial flights. Today's extraordinary report also reveals that in the last 15 minutes of the doomed flight Mr Ibbotson, a boiler engineer by trade, descended sharply four times because he was struggling with visibility and seconds before the fatal crash he plunged at a rate of 7,000ft per minute - equivalent to around 90mph. Investigators have said the plane hit the sea and sank to the bottom within 30 metres of losing radar contact 21 miles off the Channel Islands after Mr Ibbotson, from Humberside, desperately tried and failed to 'climb rapidly'. A robot sent to the seabed found the Piper Malibu was 'destroyed' by the impact of the crash and split into three parts with the engine thrown from the cockpit, the wings smashed and the tail and fin missing completely. The AAIB says it needs to do more work to find the cause of the crash but have already found that the plane failed to fly on a straight path between France and Wales, began to meander and then the pilot suddenly tried to pull up before nose-diving into the sea - the plane's instruments are prone to freezing and could have given Mr Ibbotson a false altitude reading."

wow.

Oh jesus. That must have been a seriously traumatic last few minutes for Sala. So sad!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you keep trying to suggest that incorrectly awarding a corner is on the same level as allowing someone to borrow a couple of yards on a throw? :ROFLMAO: One of those is a massive error, the other one is a bit of leniency that we see in every single game.
You are not trying to defend Poch and his assistant are you? The corner was a flurry of legs nad bodies, a ball bouncing around, a 50-50 call. They happen for corners and throw ins all of the time. The linesman made that call and I saw why he did it. He didn't have slow mo from 4 angles. Poch should have been angrier with his defence who then failed to deal with a corner and gave the Burnley striker a free header. Deal with what happened, what is happening in front of you, don't keep going back further and further in a move.

D

Deleted member 16999

Isn’t the average age of Officials in the 40’s, maybe we need younger guys who can keep up!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both were crucial to a goal being scored - Rose didn’t just steak a couple of years he stole about 10 to 15 which allowed him to find Kane - Right in front of the linesman and Dyche was rightly annoyed. Swings and roundabouts- Spurs got the benefit of a poor decision as well as being stung by one - nicely balanced and right result
Celtic are a bigger than Leicester and surprised in his biggest season up there fighting against a capable Rangers team he is walking away now - Rodgers will do the same as all the others - mid table

Just a thought, but I'd expect he's finding it all a bit samey after the last few years.
Rangers have obviously changed the dynamic of that division and, maybe, Rogers is just starting to feel an uncomfortable heat.
Possibly a combination of both?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn’t the average age of Officials in the 40’s, maybe we need younger guys who can keep up!
There has been a brilliant idea for years that’s never been followed up.. all those youth players who never make it who clearly won’t make it train them to be refs

They have been playing football for years so will have an understanding of the game and will be fit enough

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a balance of experience and fitness. I think the modern ref is incredibly fit, they are constantly monitored and checked. You need the refs to build up their knowledge of how to deal with situations and pressure and that comes with years under their belts, coming through the leagues. No doubt certain ones get fast tracked, Michael Oliver was, but otherwise they have it about right imo

D

Deleted member 16999

Kepa fined a weeks wages by Chelsea for refusing to be substituted on sunday, expensive misunderstanding that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't agree. You earn respect by the way you conduct yourself. Mike Dean is a joke of a man who doesn't deserve respect simply because he puts on a ref's uniform. I play Sunday League footy, and I can assure you the referees who treat the players like adults, and explain their decisions rationally without antagonising the players get no abuse. The ones who do get abused are the ones on a power trip.

It's not the clubs it's the leagues. How long to expect Rodgers to potter about in Scotland, walking a tinpot league and then getting spanked in Europe? He's been there and done it. I'm sure he's relishing a return to the big league.

You are not trying to defend Poch and his assistant are you? The corner was a flurry of legs nad bodies, a ball bouncing around, a 50-50 call. They happen for corners and throw ins all of the time. The linesman made that call and I saw why he did it. He didn't have slow mo from 4 angles. Poch should have been angrier with his defence who then failed to deal with a corner and gave the Burnley striker a free header. Deal with what happened, what is happening in front of you, don't keep going back further and further in a move.
Yeah I agree the corner was an easy mistake to make, especially when you're as poorly positioned as Dean was. But as we've established, the really heated reaction from Poch and the coaches wasn't about that, it was in response to some unprofessional comment that Dean said to them after the game. That level of anger would indeed have been disproportionate to the incorrect of one corner, yes.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's a balance of experience and fitness. I think the modern ref is incredibly fit, they are constantly monitored and checked. You need the refs to build up their knowledge of how to deal with situations and pressure and that comes with years under their belts, coming through the leagues. No doubt certain ones get fast tracked, Michael Oliver was, but otherwise they have it about right imo
It’s not all about fitness, they are up against 20yr olds who are lying and cheating as well, the game has evolved and talking about respect of uniforms is going back to Victorian times,
Pay them more, get them fitter, mic them up and start with proper punishments, ie Points, not bans or money, they mean nothing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I agree the corner was an easy mistake to make, especially when you're as poorly positioned as Dean was. But as we've established, the really heated reaction from Poch and the coaches wasn't about that, it was in response to some unprofessional comment that Dean said to them after the game. That level of anger would indeed have been disproportionate to the incorrect of one corner, yes.

Dean was not badly positioned. He was looking at the bigger picture as he should be. His linesman had the correct view but even that was masked by the two players.

Poch has made no mention at any stage of Dean making an innapropriate comment. Surely he would have done, especially when he was as pumped as he was on Saturday?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't agree. You earn respect by the way you conduct yourself. Mike Dean is a joke of a man who doesn't deserve respect simply because he puts on a ref's uniform. I play Sunday League footy, and I can assure you the referees who treat the players like adults, and explain their decisions rationally without antagonising the players get no abuse. The ones who do get abused are the ones on a power trip.
You either respect the uniform or you don’t.
Obviously you’re more than happy to be the prima dona and are happy to abuse a ref, but whether you like the ref or not, the uniform has to be respected.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not all about fitness, they are up against 20yr olds who are lying and cheating as well, the game has evolved and talking about respect of uniforms is going back to Victorian times,
Pay them more, get them fitter, mic them up and start with proper punishments, ie Points, not bans or money, they mean nothing.
I've been shouting for years to get them mic'd up for us to hear but no way will the PL do that as the image of the players and the PL will be there for all to hear. The refs are mic'd up between themselves and I would guess they can be heard by an assesor off field.

Refs are well paid, they are fit. The PL and FA need to back them with punishments, they need to be firm with abuse. Everything is there for this, they choose not to enforce it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dean was not badly positioned. He was looking at the bigger picture as he should be. His linesman had the correct view but even that was masked by the two players.

Poch has made no mention at any stage of Dean making an innapropriate comment. Surely he would have done, especially when he was as pumped as he was on Saturday?
He's too smart to try and accuse Dean in the post-match interview when all the FA would do is back their own and give him a bigger fine. Usually his composure is second to none, and I'm sure he's ashamed that he allowed himself to be riled like he was.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You either respect the uniform or you don’t.
Obviously you’re more than happy to be the prima dona and are happy to abuse a ref, but whether you like the ref or not, the uniform has to be respected.
I don't abuse anyone, I was talking in a general sense about what I've witnessed at Sunday League level. And the refs do have that respect from minute one, until they lose it with their own actions and behaviour. Just like anyone else.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isn’t that why most refs give them 50/50 decisions to the defence .
That way there isn’t the controversy of a goal being scored from a wrong decision.
It may not be technically correct but does stop all this.

Dean is a poor ref ,but at the end of the day Pooch went on the pitch to confront him and is in the wrong.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've been shouting for years to get them mic'd up for us to hear but no way will the PL do that as the image of the players and the PL will be there for all to hear. The refs are mic'd up between themselves and I would guess they can be heard by an assesor off field.

Refs are well paid, they are fit. The PL and FA need to back them with punishments, they need to be firm with abuse. Everything is there for this, they choose not to enforce it.
So it’s not the players or officials fault, it’s the governing bodies?

In reality there is blame at all levels, but current Referees on the whole are just not good enough, the pressures at all levels in modern football is ridiculous and having the odd decent Ref doesn’t cut it.

Wearing a uniform doesn’t automatically give someone respect, it’s fell over in society and it doesn’t work on a sports field, even Rugby officials are being questioned more and more.