And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lots of stuff in the media about it being a tactical goalkeeping change as the one on the bench has a decent penalty save history and Sarri wanted him on for the shootout. Given the amount of work the keeper had done and how fit modern players are I can't see how he could/should have been affected by cramp. For me Kepa was unprofessional throughout to both his team mates and his manager. No-one wants to come off in a final but everybody asked to does, some with more grace than others. So what happens next? Kane or Salah are on for a hat-trick with ten minutes left and their number comes up. Will they (or any other player in any division) simply stand there now and refuse to come off. It has definitely set a precedent. Hopefully it'll be a one-off and I am sure will Chelsea deal with it behind closed doors.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was a tactical change for me, all the cramp stuff is garbage and a red herring imo.
Kepa had gone down twice though before they readied the sub. (As mentioned above, he may have been faking it to waste time, but Sarri wouldn't have known.) You can count on one hand the number of times in history that a manager has subbed a different keeper on for a shoot-out (I can only think of Van Gaal doing it at the World Cup 2014. I really don't think that was the plan. They beat us on penalties in the semi-final and he didn't sub the other keeper on for them then.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kepa had gone down twice though before they readied the sub. (As mentioned above, he may have been faking it to waste time, but Sarri wouldn't have known.) You can count on one hand the number of times in history that a manager has subbed a different keeper on for a shoot-out (I can only think of Van Gaal doing it at the World Cup 2014. I really don't think that was the plan. They beat us on penalties in the semi-final and he didn't sub the other keeper on for them then.

We did it in a cup match the other week 🤣
Either way the keeper was way out of line, his number got put up on the board and he should have gone off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We did it in a cup match the other week 🤣
Either way the keeper was way out of line, his number got put up on the board and he should have gone off.
I didn't realise the number actually went up as I didn't see that on the TV coverage. I thought Cabellero was just standing about waiting to come on. I thought if the board went up with the numbers it'd be too late to change your mind anyway, but obviously not then?

I still think a bit too much has been made of it. I'm sure Sarri will have a word with him, maybe give him an official warning, but some pundits are saying he should be dropped and never played again, which is ludicrous.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't realise the number actually went up as I didn't see that on the TV coverage. I thought Cabellero was just standing about waiting to come on. I thought if the board went up with the numbers it'd be too late to change your mind anyway, but obviously not then?

It's what I heard on the radio this morning, they replayed the live commentary and they mention the 4th official has the board up. Apparently if a player refuses to leave the field of play the game just continues.

D

Deleted member 16999

I still think a bit too much has been made of it. I'm sure Sarri will have a word with him, maybe give him an official warning, but some pundits are saying he should be dropped and never played again, which is ludicrous.
The whole episode took over 2 minutes, whoever people think is in the right or wrong is fair enough, but it was embarrassing, the 4th Official called the Ref over to the sideline who then spoke to Sarri and Zola, it just seemed to go on and on, it’s the only thing being talked about in the media this morning.
A lot of positives for Chelsea being overlooked and have a guess at what the talk and focus will be before your match with them on wednesday.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just going back to Sarris excuse after the game, I was under the impression football physios are miced up these days so they can quickly get the message back to the bench as to the severity of the injury. Yet Sarri says he didn't find out all was ok until after the physio walked all the way back. Probably me being picky but it doesn't add up.

Ps.
Goalkeepers getting cramp? Never heard of that one before either 🤣

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There has been discussions on whether it is better to watch the game on telly or be there live. Yesterday was a classic of example it would of been better watching it on telly. Kepa wasted so much time from goal kicks it was unbearable. It's at that point as a viewer you are watching replays of action, and there would not of been that much. A final just seemed dead coz Kepa was taking an age trying to play the bal out to Jorghino, being unable to then telling defenders to push up. It killed the game.But it was a tactic that knocked City out of any kind of rhythm. A rhythm they had when they beat Chelsea 6-0. Kepa going down two times ( with cramp ? ) from open play was part of that rhythm breaking tactic. As was three scything down tackles. Before I go on AM NOT MOANING, stating a fact. It worked well. City have done it since Pep turned up. The tables were turned. Chelsea I thought were the better team. In all honesty dropping Higuain and putting in another midfielder was excellent. Truth be told Chelsea played the better football. Two of the youngsters that came on were excellent. So as I have, said Sarri does have a plan B and it worked very very well.
But that Kepa incident was disgusting, and yet Sarri the one who has played down the incident is the one that is under pressure to save his job. He is treated like that by one of the players he bought. He will come out of this
( sacked ) in the same manner that Pelligrini did when he finished at City, his reputation Undamaged. Which may well cover up his failings as a manager.
Pep has the utmost respect for Klopp and Sarri, they both have teams that play excellent football. If Klopp was at Chelsea he would of now been sacked. He would not of been given the time that Pep had at City and Sarri is not getting at Chelsea. Yet look how well Klopp is doing at Liverpool playing attractive football. There in lies for me the root of the problem. How many managers have Chelsea had over the last 10 years. I don't know, but a manager comes in and is expected to work wonders with players he never choose. Think because of the Kepa incident the door just opened a little wider for ZZ.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Just going back to Sarris excuse after the game, I was under the impression football physios are miced up these days so they can quickly get the message back to the bench as to the severity of the injury. Yet Sarri says he didn't find out all was ok until after the physio walked all the way back. Probably me being picky but it doesn't add up.

Ps.
Goalkeepers getting cramp? Never heard of that one before either 🤣

Beezerk, I did more work walking down Wembley way eating a fifty quid burger way than he did yesterday. Re the Chelsea physio, that could be another one getting sacked in the morning 😁

Tashyboy

Visit site
The whole episode took over 2 minutes, whoever people think is in the right or wrong is fair enough, but it was embarrassing, the 4th Official called the Ref over to the sideline who then spoke to Sarri and Zola, it just seemed to go on and on, it’s the only thing being talked about in the media this morning.
A lot of positives for Chelsea being overlooked and have a guess at what the talk and focus will be before your match with them on wednesday.
This 👍, it did take over two mins, plus going down with cramp X 2 then the fourth official says 3 mins extra time. It was embarrassing. Plus as has been said, was it tactical?

D

Deleted member 1740

it was quicker than VAR though 😉

Tashyboy

Visit site
I doubt we'll ever actually know!

We will and we do, he went down both times taking the piss claiming he had cramp, he was stretching out his toes trying to get rid of his " cramp". It was the worst time wasting I have ever seen in my life in going to games. There was sod all up with him when he went down.
The worst thing I have read about this is that when a subs board goes up, said player does not have to go off. That needs changing.