And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’ve answered most of your questions yourself as you’ve written your post!

We’ve got the players, but he’s playing a key one out of position and then couple that with his Sarri-ball tactics with everything through Jorginho, and it’s an epic fail with no plan b, he’s stubborn. Just look at the subs against Utd when we needed goals, all like for like, so where we’re the goals going to come from?

Marina is a director (part Russian) she replaced Emenalo in part but is quite simply not up to the job either!
The list of mistakes with Sarri's system is huge to be honest.
1. Jorginho can't defend well enough to be a lone CDM in the Premier League.
2. Kanté isn't an attacking midfielder, and playing him deeper next to Jorginho would have solved point 1 as well.
3. Alonso can't play full back because his positioning is terrible. He looked good as a wing back because all his strengths are in attacking, but he can't defend either.
4. Luiz is past it but Sarri persists on using him.
5. No other top manager uses the same system every single week, because it can be found out and nullified, which is exactly what has happened. If you know how your opponent will play you can plan for it all week. Pep, Klopp, Poch etc all have different fluid systems they can switch to.
6. Maybe not on Sarri but you spent a ridiculous amount of money signing the Spanish Pickford in goal. His shot stopping for low efforts is really poor.
7. Played Hazard through the middle for far too long when the team was largely ineffective without a proper presence up front. I would have given Giroud more games personally, but now that have Higuain so at least he's rectified one issue, eventually.

Most damning of all it seems like every single pundit, ex-manager and even fans can see all of the above, but the highly paid actual Chelsea manager can't for some reason.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
VAR was never going to be a fix-all solution because there is still human interpretation. It is just there to give the ref some extra help. I imagine next season will be one long teething period, and it will be written off as a disaster, but by the following season or the one after that we'll reach a point where everyone is used to it and it's become more streamlined with practise.

"If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain." Do you know which 'philosopher' said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dolly Parton being quoted on a football thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Brilliant. Great quote though, can't argue with it.

As an aside, I saw her being interviewed the other day for the stage show 9-5. So much surgery on her face now that she looks both different and weird, as they usually do sad to say. They kept going back to shots of her in the original. You should have left well alone Dolly.

D

Deleted member 18121

You should have left well alone Dolly.

She also had the classic - it takes a lot of money to look this cheap - genius!

As for the VAR stuff..... I didnt see the game in real time, only highlights but for me they eventually got right both of the penalties. I didn't think it was a foul on sterling before the absolutely outstanding free kick from Sane but I do agree with the yellow/yellow - red for Otamendi.

Fantastic result for City, especially with 10 players.

D

Deleted member 16999

VAR was never going to be a fix-all solution because there is still human interpretation. It is just there to give the ref some extra help. I imagine next season will be one long teething period, and it will be written off as a disaster, but by the following season or the one after that we'll reach a point where everyone is used to it and it's become more streamlined with practise.

"If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain." Do you know which 'philosopher' said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.
Maybe they could review how VAR is used and take subjectivity out of it, ie, ball in and out of play anywhere on the pitch, offsides, free kick inside or outside the box, the contentious foul or no foul, deliberate handball etc is left to the referee and they review those decisions after the game and either the Ref/Officials get points or the players do, then if they clock up so many points, ie 5, that’s the equivalent of a 1 match ban.

Just a crazy thought, but anything subjective will never be 100% correct.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe they could review how VAR is used and take subjectivity out of it, ie, ball in and out of play anywhere on the pitch, offsides, free kick inside or outside the box, the contentious foul or no foul, deliberate handball etc is left to the referee and they review those decisions after the game and either the Ref/Officials get points or the players do, then if they clock up so many points, ie 5, that’s the equivalent of a 1 match ban.

Just a crazy thought, but anything subjective will never be 100% correct.
I've said all along that I think it should only be used for goals (check offside/potential foul), penalties and straight reds, and only when the ref deems it necessary because he didn't have a great view. But what I mean is it will probably take a while to arrive at the best scenario for it, the first season might be a painful teething process while we get there.

D

Deleted member 16999

She also had the classic - it takes a lot of money to look this cheap - genius!

As for the VAR stuff..... I didnt see the game in real time, only highlights but for me they eventually got right both of the penalties. I didn't think it was a foul on sterling before the absolutely outstanding free kick from Sane but I do agree with the yellow/yellow - red for Otamendi.

Fantastic result for City, especially with 10 players.
The big issue I have with the Otamendi penalty the time he gets to decide what to do, he hasn’t got time to close the player down, his arm is already out and as the player hits the ball, Otamendi has a fraction of a second to make a decision.
The Referee is no more than 10yds away clear view and awards a corner.
Schalke players have nothing to fear screaming for a pen so just like other teams when VAR is in use they’ll appeal the lot.
Then the Ref is denied a replay of the incident and agrees to change his mind, so that decision couldn’t of been clear and obvious.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've said all along that I think it should only be used for goals (check offside/potential foul), penalties and straight reds, and only when the ref deems it necessary because he didn't have a great view. But what I mean is it will probably take a while to arrive at the best scenario for it, the first season might be a painful teething process while we get there.
Why not for ball in or out of play? They’ve proved that works with goal line technology, that would ease up slightly on the lineman and allow them the chance to concentrate on keeping up with play etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not for ball in or out of play? They’ve proved that works with goal line technology, that would ease up slightly on the lineman and allow them the chance to concentrate on keeping up with play etc.
Do you mean in every situation? If it's the build-up to a goal I'd say yes. If at some other time I'd say no need to wait for VAR for that. Basically anything the ref is not sure on which has resulted in a goal, penalty or potential red card.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Don’t they need something stupid like 12 cameras just to cover one goal line. I’d imagine the whole pitch would require hundreds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

How far back in the phase of play do you check for?

D

Deleted member 1740

The immediate build-up obviously. I'm not proposing they re-watch the whole game up to that point in case they missed anything. :p

Its not obvious, theres too many variables in football.

How do we decide when the immediate build up begins to a goal?

some goals scored have 50 passes/4tackles that could/should be a yellow card etc. its a minefield.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not obvious, theres too many variables in football.

How do we decide when the immediate build up begins to a goal?

some goals scored have 50 passes/4tackles that could/should be a yellow card etc. its a minefield.
If the chap fouls someone and then puts the ball away, disallow it. If a chap fouls someone then puts a cross in which is scored, disallow it. Any further back than that and it's not the immediate build-up. If anyone moans about a foul further back than that, it's not different to how it is now when that happens. Just deal with it. VAR is there to assist in key moments but not to replace the referee altogether.

D

Deleted member 1740

If the chap fouls someone and then puts the ball away, disallow it. If a chap fouls someone then puts a cross in which is scored, disallow it. Any further back than that and it's not the immediate build-up. If anyone moans about a foul further back than that, it's not different to how it is now when that happens. Just deal with it. VAR is there to assist in key moments but not to replace the referee altogether.

Is it? i thought it was for clear and obvious errors 🤔

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t they need something stupid like 12 cameras just to cover one goal line. I’d imagine the whole pitch would require hundreds.
Hundreds to cover 4 lines? How many does Wimbledon use? The technolgy is available.

D

Deleted member 16999

What if a goal kick is incorrectly given, last night Silva kept the ball in play and the linesman gave Schalke a goal kick, what if 30 seconds later Schalke would of scored. The TV replays showed the ball wasn’t out.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Great result for City but another poor demonstration of VAR and its use. It should never have taken that long and still had so much doubt over the decision. Will Otamendi's red be a big issue for City going forward (what do you think Tashy?). Have to agree with Pep though and not sure City are really ready for the final stages but if you can keep grinding results out who knows?

Sorry for the delay Homer, to be honest I thought otamendi was hard done to for the penalty, my Tyrets kicked in when he was booked for it. The second booking I thought he was a twazzock. But again I think it was his first foul, out on the touch line with defenders around, so why did he do it. In all honesty, I can see Laporte at centre half with Stones or Kompany alongside him and Zinchenko at left back. Otamemdi is a liability and there's a possibility he could be gone at the end of the season. He is going down the pecking order. The defender that needs to be concerned is Walker he has been Rammel this season. He needs to get back to last years form. Citys season will be defined by how KDB kicks on, he is only playing at 7/10 at the moment. Can see s winning Crappy boo cup, Utd the FA cup, Liverpool the prem and athletico looking strong for the champs league. Put a quid on that Homer. Wonder what's the odds.