And, we’re off.......2018/2019

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it's a win-win situation. Liverpool have protected their investment by getting the player to sign a new long term contract which means he won't be leaving on the cheap any time soon and Salah gets a pay rise.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it’s naive to think any player is loyal just based on their current/new contract and its content. If the right Club comes knocking and the price is right, and the player wants to go, then they’ll go in the main, even if the club would rather they stay.

Money talks 99.9% of the time coupled with ambition obviously. Only time will tell if Liverpool become true challengers to the PL and CL with some degree of regularity, if not, then that becomes the acid test for many players like Salah.
Indeed, it just means Salah will stay at Liverpool for this coming season, and the lack of release clause means Liverpool will be able to demand an exorbitant fee when he leaves next summer. Or, they won't because he was a one season wonder. Only time will tell on that one.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Surely it's a win-win situation. Liverpool have protected their investment by getting the player to sign a new long term contract which means he won't be leaving on the cheap any time soon and Salah gets a pay rise.

I agree, it’s not so much a statement of intent by the player to say their happy and staying, more a case of the club protecting their investment knowing if someone dies come knocking it’s going to cost them.

D

Deleted member 18588

And there, in a nutshell, you have summed up the purpose of long term contracts.

It is almost childishly naive to think that the modern day player signs such a contract with the intention of seeing it through to its end.

D

Deleted member 15344

All so cynical- maybe not every player is the same , think it’s fair to say Kane signed a new contract as a reward and also as a sign of commitment, Salah has shown no sign of wanting to leave no demands and maybe sometimes a player does want to show a bit of commitment to a club and also a club showing ambition and commitment to a player - Liverpool has a brilliant season last year and players are being rewarded for that - who knows maybe they aren’t all money grabbing mercenaries and some do still love the game for what it is

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All so cynical- maybe not every player is the same , think it’s fair to say Kane signed a new contract as a reward and also as a sign of commitment, Salah has shown no sign of wanting to leave no demands and maybe sometimes a player does want to show a bit of commitment to a club and also a club showing ambition and commitment to a player - Liverpool has a brilliant season last year and players are being rewarded for that - who knows maybe they aren’t all money grabbing mercenaries and some do still love the game for what it is
:rofl: Good one!

D

Deleted member 18588

My God!

I bet you still believe in Father Christmas.

If the right offer came in he and his agent are going to be on to Liverpool to see what they are prepared to give him.

As for Kane he is younger and also (like Gerrard at Liverpool) came through the ranks and may, therefore, feel an attachment to his club.

D

Deleted member 15344

My God!

I bet you still believe in Father Christmas.

If the right offer came in he and his agent are going to be on to Liverpool to see what they are prepared to give him.

As for Kane he is younger and also (like Gerrard at Liverpool) came through the ranks and may, therefore, feel an attachment to his club.

I guess for you to post in such a factual manner the player and his agent will have told you that themsleves won’t they - but of course they haven’t so then they don’t and you have no idea what they would and wouldn’t do “IF” any offer came in for him

I posted an opinion and it shows what it’s like on here when the replies have a tinge of spite in them

The is no reason why Salah won’t stay at Liverpool for a long time if he wishes - he wouldn’t be the first to want to stay but as with most sports there is never any certainties either way

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was wisely told by my grandad that all a new contract means is when they are sold they can get more money for them..

True that.

He was indeed wise.

Salah has no affinity to Liverpool, why would he have. He grew up in Egypt, not Bootle. I have no doubt he is happy there but if the right offer comes along he will be off. Same as any overseas player at any club. Affinity comes through coming through the ranks, growing up as a fan etc. Smart move by all parties as it protects and benefits both Salah and Liverpool but to think it does more that that is fanciful.

D

Deleted member 18588

I guess for you to post in such a factual manner the player and his agent will have told you that themsleves won’t they - but of course they haven’t so then they don’t and you have no idea what they would and wouldn’t do “IF” any offer came in for him

I posted an opinion and it shows what it’s like on here when the replies have a tinge of spite in them

The is no reason why Salah won’t stay at Liverpool for a long time if he wishes - he wouldn’t be the first to want to stay but as with most sports there is never any certainties either way

Based on experience dear boy.

BTW what level of commitment did Salah show towards Basel, Chelsea or Roma?

If Liverpool match his ambitions and financial requirements then, of course, he may stay but, as a professional, it's unlikely to be anything to do with loyalty. As LT said, he's not from Bootle.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Good signing for Liverpool with Salah signing, the neutrals get to see the best player last season plying his trade in the Prem once more. Can see Liverpool pushing for runners up next season.

D

Deleted member 15344

He was indeed wise.

Salah has no affinity to Liverpool, why would he have. He grew up in Egypt, not Bootle. I have no doubt he is happy there but if the right offer comes along he will be off. Same as any overseas player at any club. Affinity comes through coming through the ranks, growing up as a fan etc. Smart move by all parties as it protects and benefits both Salah and Liverpool but to think it does more that that is fanciful.

Sorry but there are plenty of example of players and managerforeign and domestic who have arrived at clubs and grown to have an affinity to them regardless of if they were both there or not to suggest that your post is incorrect

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The notion that a club reward a player for their performances in nonsical to say the least. They do it to revalue an asset. All clubs do it, and there’s nowt wrong with it. But clubs are businesses these days and if a player had 5 years left on a contract them It would make no business sense to pay them more than they currently do simply out of some sense of honour.

The pay rise stops a player who feels their value has gone up kicking off, and also lets potential buyers know that the price tag has risen. Players use their previous season (if good) as a bargaining chip when they (their dirty against) try holding a club to ransom. No player ever offered to take a pay cut after a bad season (Shane long would be broke)!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who the hell is 'Tierney'??

He is a left back from Celtic. We are looking to replace Baines who is coming to the end of his career, off to the US in a years time I suspect. Well deserved if he does as he has been a cracking player for Everton. The bid is about 2-3 times his worth but in the inflated PL market it is the going rate. Decent left backs are in short supply.