And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rooney was absolute class, but he peaked early and declined early, that was his only 'crime' really. All fans tend to have recency bias, so the late peaking players (see Zlatan, Drogba) get plaudits whereas players who peaked in their mid-20s like Rooney sometimes get forgotten. Between about 2009 and 2012 he was one of the best players in the world and that shouldn't be overlooked. I think coming through age 17-18 and playing 40 games a season from such an early age makes it difficult to have that longevity at the other end of your career. Going to America is probably a good decision for him.

D

Deleted member 16999

:rant:

he was a great player but will never be regarded as a United legend IMO and he has replaced sir Bobby in the records books which is a shame really as his attitude to the club a couple of times was poor at best!
I personally wish he had stayed 1 goal short!
He never got banned for being a ticket tout, one more thing Rooney has over Sir Bobby :rofl:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rooney was absolute class, but he peaked early and declined early, that was his only 'crime' really. All fans tend to have recency bias, so the late peaking players (see Zlatan, Drogba) get plaudits whereas players who peaked in their mid-20s like Rooney sometimes get forgotten. Between about 2009 and 2012 he was one of the best players in the world and that shouldn't be overlooked. I think coming through age 17-18 and playing 40 games a season from such an early age makes it difficult to have that longevity at the other end of your career. Going to America is probably a good decision for him.

What niggled me with Rooney is that when we was playing poorly and was likely to be dropped, he or his agent threw out the "I'm going to leave as not happy" card and a few months later he earned himself a fat pay rise and a new contract. That's what I remember anyway :D

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The only difference between Rooney's "negotiations" and other players is that his were made public. Plenty of players threaten to leave the club to get more money - Roy Keane is very open about it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What niggled me with Rooney is that when we was playing poorly and was likely to be dropped, he or his agent threw out the "I'm going to leave as not happy" card and a few months later he earned himself a fat pay rise and a new contract. That's what I remember anyway :D
He may have done that once or twice, he's far from the only one though. It's all down to agents anyway for the most part I think.

D

Deleted member 1740

In what way?

I asked as a lot of people bought into the 'hes doing it because he wants the club to invest' line.

I thought the Gerrard stuff was painted the same, admittedly from a distance.

He was at the time offered £150k+ pw to go to chelsea, stayed at Liverpool for less,£90k was his reported salary that season.

Everybody wanted investment, Gerrard wasnt alone, we needed it. Benitez was expcted to challenge on a transfer budget of £20m + what he made, when Yernited,chelsea Arsena where spending double/triple of that.

How can you logically compare Gerrard to Rooney??

D

Deleted member 1740

he was a great player but will never be regarded as a United legend IMO and he has replaced sir Bobby in the records books which is a shame really as his attitude to the club a couple of times was poor at best!

Yernited's twitter account think differently....

D

Deleted member 1740

Fergie didn't get involved in money matters that much. He had less control over the club that is commonly thought!

Thats because along with him, his wife, his brother , his son they all had their noses in the trough!!

Ferguson was held over a barrel with Rooney.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think a god part of it is him being a Scouser - you think?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a god part of it is him being a Scouser - you think?

Not sure it is that much maybe a little, his dislike of you lot is as much as ours!

Think its more to do with he never seemed to really buy into the club you always got the feelings he was just a paid employee who would play anyway that paid him well.

Whereas Legends and part of the fabric of the club and loyalty shows nearly as much as fans. Greats produce the goods and move on.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was at the time offered £150k+ pw to go to chelsea, stayed at Liverpool for less,£90k was his reported salary that season.

Everybody wanted investment, Gerrard wasnt alone, we needed it. Benitez was expcted to challenge on a transfer budget of £20m + what he made, when Yernited,chelsea Arsena where spending double/triple of that.

How can you logically compare Gerrard to Rooney??

Because they both handed in transfer requests. Gerrard did it 6 weeks after one of the biggest nights in Liverpools history. I'm not saying Rick Parry should hold no blame, but there was certainly blame on both sides. Gerrard comes out slightly better than Rooney imo because at least his request was because "he was unsure of Liverpools ability to challenge for major honours" Jamie Carraghers words not mine. Rooney did it to chase the purse.

Btw, i'll add that Gerrard at his peak was one of the top 3 players I ever saw at Old Trafford. Up there with Zidane.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
You must have had some dross play there if Gerrard makes top 3. He was good, but not that good.

I've seen more than three better players than Gerrard play at Old Trafford in the same game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7368730.stm

Scholes, Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta.

A shame O'Shea didn't get on the park that day to make it six.

Yeah, loads of dross in the 30 years i've been watching footy at OT ;)

Sure, there may have been better players at Old Trafford over a period of time, but, I guess what i am trying to say (badly) is that in his prime, and maybe it was the intensity of the Man U and Liverpool fixture, he was one of the best footballers to play against us at Old Trafford in that he influenced the games more. For example, Iniesta , Xavi, maybe had better careers and be better overall players, but they never really set the world of fire when they visited OT.

D

Deleted member 1740

Last edited by a moderator: