And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Everton have got Rooney off the books, he has signed for DC Utd. A very fine PL career.

I know he's divided opinion on here both with his on and off field antics but I think he's been a great servant for Everton, Man Utd and England over the years and deserves one final big payday in the US. Not sure he'll make a big impact on the pitch as time seems to be catching up with him a bit

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know he's divided opinion on here both with his on and off field antics but I think he's been a great servant for Everton, Man Utd and England over the years and deserves one final big payday in the US. Not sure he'll make a big impact on the pitch as time seems to be catching up with him a bit

Homer, he wasn't a servant to anyone. He made huge money throughout his career, a couple of times by threatening to leave Utd. It's the modern way but let's not play the servant card. I don't begrudge the money I should add, he was paid the market rate.

He left Everton too early, and to the wrong team, to be remembered by fans there. He was a great player for Utd and England.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't edit on here with my tablet so I'll post again. Utd fans will judge if he was a great for them. He was a top England player but thinking about it my use of the word great was too liberal and handed out too freely. I don't think he did enough in tournaments, when it mattered, to be a great.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a United fan, and no, I don't believe he will go down as a United great.
He did score some great goals though.

D

Deleted member 16999

England and Utds greatest goalscorer to date. That’s a massive achievement for anyone, as for the International stage, he was 1 of 11.
Also won every medal available at Club level in PL and Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

I'm a United fan, and no, I don't believe he will go down as a United great.
He did score some great goals though.

Really ? Leading goal scorer , won every trophy going with them and was instrumental for over a decade in a team that dominated but won’t go down as a legend ?! What more could he have done

D

Deleted member 1740

Really ? Leading goal scorer , won every trophy going with them and was instrumental for over a decade in a team that dominated but won’t go down as a legend ?! What more could he have done

The transfer request and holding Ferguson to ransom is the only blight on his footballing career....

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The transfer request and holding Ferguson to ransom is the only blight on his footballing career....

Is Gerrard's similar episode viewed the same by your mob Stu?

Genuinely interested. Have a grudging respect for him and seems he is always highly though of 'out west' despite that.

D

Deleted member 1740

Is Gerrard's similar episode viewed the same by your mob Stu?

Genuinely interested. Have a grudging respect for him and seems he is always highly though of 'out west' despite that.

No, totally different. He never held Liverpool to ransom like Rooney did to Ferguson.

Rick Parry was at fault for that debacle.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely Rooney is a club legend for Man Utd. The consistent goal scoring, his influence over the team at a time when we were in three CL finals in four years, the stunning goals in his early Man Utd career, the way he adapted his game to be more effective around the box in his later career...

He was the first player since Cantona, in my time watching football, who brought a consistent aura of brilliance and arrogance to the squad and he was a fantastic player who didn't let us down. Yes, his career has dropped off quickly but he was at the very top of his game for as long as many top players, he just peaked younger.

I'm not an England fan, so I don't really care that he didn't do it for England when it mattered. Not that any of the top players in the league did in his era (Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes) so I do find it odd that it's highlighted so much.

As for his stuff off the field - is Best a United legend? Without doubt. Look at his antics. Turning up to games drunk, if he turned up at all, on many occasions. Using his status to sleep with anything in a skirt and showing contempt for the fans who paid his wages in doing so. Threw away his career. But he's a club legend.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, totally different. He never held Liverpool to ransom like Rooney did to Ferguson.

Rick Parry was at fault for that debacle.

In what way?

I asked as a lot of people bought into the 'hes doing it because he wants the club to invest' line.

I thought the Gerrard stuff was painted the same, admittedly from a distance.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England and Utds greatest goalscorer to date. That’s a massive achievement for anyone, as for the International stage, he was 1 of 11.

For those of a certain age, he's the footballing equivalent of Graeme Hick - a flat track bully who scored loads of runs in county cricket but never really did it when it mattered at the highest level on the International stage.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For those of a certain age, he's the footballing equivalent of Graeme Hick - a flat track bully who scored loads of runs in county cricket but never really did it when it mattered at the highest level on the International stage.

I've seen it said a few times that he's only scored against lesser teams unlike Charlton. Obviously Charlton won a world cup and gets the nod for performance there, BUT he scored equally as frequently against lesser teams. Nostalgia always seems to play are part. The story of Charlton is almost more romantic than cerebrating modern day footballers who are often despised for their antics of club.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nope, normally you speak sense, no way could you describe him as a flat track bully, amazingly skillful at times who could hold his own.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've seen it said a few times that he's only scored against lesser teams unlike Charlton. Obviously Charlton won a world cup and gets the nod for performance there, BUT he scored equally as frequently against lesser teams. Nostalgia always seems to play are part. The story of Charlton is almost more romantic than cerebrating modern day footballers who are often despised for their antics of club.
Exactly, if you check the records for Charlton and Greaves you’ll see they scored a lot of goals in the old “Home Internationals” the competition were were played Scotland, Wales and N Ireland at the end of every season.
And like Charlton and Greaves, Rooney didn’t arrange the fixtures.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

hes had plenty of big pay days already!!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

:rant:

he was a great player but will never be regarded as a United legend IMO and he has replaced sir Bobby in the records books which is a shame really as his attitude to the club a couple of times was poor at best!
I personally wish he had stayed 1 goal short!