And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

Because they both handed in transfer requests. Gerrard did it 6 weeks after one of the biggest nights in Liverpools history. I'm not saying Rick Parry should hold no blame, but there was certainly blame on both sides. Gerrard comes out slightly better than Rooney imo because at least his request was because "he was unsure of Liverpools ability to challenge for major honours" Jamie Carraghers words not mine. Rooney did it to chase the purse.

Btw, i'll add that Gerrard at his peak was one of the top 3 players I ever saw at Old Trafford. Up there with Zidane.

If Rick Parry had responded from previous contract meetings prior to the european cup finl that year, Gerrard after istanbul, signs a new deal and the rest doesnt happen.

Rick Parry was on holiday for 2weeks during the mot important time of the clubs season player recruitment wise.

I've got nothing against Gerrard for doing what he did, he ruffled Parry big time.

Lets be honest, barring couple of death threats from internet hardcase's Gerrad owed us nothing and if he really really wanted to go to chelsea he'd have gone.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can you logically compare Gerrard to Rooney??

Perhaps it didn't come out well in writing. The comparison was;

A lot of people I know bought the "Invest or I go" line when Rooney was at it.

In Manchester, much of what Gerrard was up to was perceived to be the same.

I was asking your opinion as you'll know a closer version of the truth than us.

The other comparison is that both sets of fans will believe the most convenient version of the truth, and then delight in sticking the disloyal card at the perceived offender.

D

Deleted member 15344

If Rick Parry had responded from previous contract meetings prior to the european cup finl that year, Gerrard after istanbul, signs a new deal and the rest doesnt happen.

Rick Parry was on holiday for 2weeks during the mot important time of the clubs season player recruitment wise.

I've got nothing against Gerrard for doing what he did, he ruffled Parry big time.

Lets be honest, barring couple of death threats from internet hardcase's Gerrad owed us nothing and if he really really wanted to go to chelsea he'd have gone.
Wasn’t it also 2004 when he came very close to joining Chelsea as well

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ard-did-not-sign-for-chelsea-7187920.html?amp

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do think he’s not a United great?

The transfer request and holding Ferguson to ransom is the only blight on his footballing career....

You pretty much answered your own question, Stu.
As great as he was at times, he was never really 'loved' by many United supporters and, in my book, you have to be 'loved' to be a United great.
Paul Scholes, now he was a United great, along with many others ................... but not Rooney, not for me anyway.

D

Deleted member 1740

Perhaps it didn't come out well in writing. The comparison was;

A lot of people I know bought the "Invest or I go" line when Rooney was at it.

In Manchester, much of what Gerrard was up to was perceived to be the same.

I was asking your opinion as you'll know a closer version of the truth than us.

The other comparison is that both sets of fans will believe the most convenient version of the truth, and then delight in sticking the disloyal card at the perceived offender.

Now we're getting to the context of your actual question. Do you think i'm doing that?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Edit....
I'm not fussed what you think about Rooney's motives. As a grown up, you're entitled to your own opinion :thup: If I had to guess I'd say you're not.

I was interested in what happened in Gerrard's situation, not having a dig - which is why I pointed out that fans on both sides used it as a stick to beat them with.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You pretty much answered your own question, Stu.
As great as he was at times, he was never really 'loved' by many United supporters and, in my book, you have to be 'loved' to be a United great.
Paul Scholes, now he was a United great, along with many others ................... but not Rooney, not for me anyway.

But one person's great, whether you're a Utd fan or not, is another person's anti-hero. Rooney wasn't loved by many but you can't argue against his record. I'd put him on a par with Scholes as a Utd player, and then add in his record as an England player. For me, as much as I don't like Rooney I think he is a great.

Denis Law is considered by many to be a great, and his goal scoring record suggests he's worthy of that accolade, but he joined Utd from City then went back there. I think Law is a legend of the game but some Utd supporters have little time for him.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s good news for us and it’s a nice deserved pay rise for Salah - whilst it’s easy to compare to previous players Salah seems a bit different in terms of his personality and his honesty , no release clause as well says a lot about him

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It’s good news for us and it’s a nice deserved pay rise for Salah - whilst it’s easy to compare to previous players Salah seems a bit different in terms of his personality and his honesty , no release clause as well says a lot about him

I think it’s naive to think any player is loyal just based on their current/new contract and its content. If the right Club comes knocking and the price is right, and the player wants to go, then they’ll go in the main, even if the club would rather they stay.

Money talks 99.9% of the time coupled with ambition obviously. Only time will tell if Liverpool become true challengers to the PL and CL with some degree of regularity, if not, then that becomes the acid test for many players like Salah.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

No release clause is hardly unusual in the PL its a requirement in Spain which is why it is in all contract. IMO it is a non-commited player that seeks it in his contract.