And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Wolf

Visit site
I think Spurs' equivalent is probably 'when the Spurs go marching in'. Unfortunately some years ago Southampton hijacked it and changed 'Spurs' to 'Saints'. Bit embarrassing from them and sadly cheapens it a bit for us. :(
Except the original song is when the saints go marching in first recorded in the 1930s by Louis Armstrong so it's more fitting for Southampton and if anything means Spurs hijacked it and changed the words to suit..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Except the original song is when the saints go marching in first recorded in the 1930s by Louis Armstrong so it's more fitting for Southampton and if anything means Spurs hijacked it and changed the words to suit..
Don't you know that Tottenham are also known as the "Saints".....:rolleyes:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think Spurs' equivalent is probably 'when the Spurs go marching in'. Unfortunately some years ago Southampton hijacked it and changed 'Spurs' to 'Saints'. Bit embarrassing from them and sadly cheapens it a bit for us. :(

Haha

I’d comment further, but it appears plenty already have 😂😂😂😂😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I’ve seen it written a few times from spurs fans, generally since we got promoted back to the prem. not surprising really, more of their fans are maybe a little younger enjoying their recent success. So can’t remember our last 27 year stint in the top flight. Forgetting we’d sung it long before 2010.

From what I’ve seen when researching it. The song was used by many clubs from the late 50’s with saints simply swapped for reds, blues, rovers etc etc.

So whilst saints may not be the very first team to have used the theme. We certianly didn’t steal it and convert it back to Saints from Spurs, who’d converted Saints to Spurs 😂😂😂

Wolf

Visit site
I’ve seen it written a few times from spurs fans, generally since we got promoted back to the prem. not surprising really, more of their fans are maybe a little younger enjoying their recent success. So can’t remember our last 27 year stint in the top flight. Forgetting we’d sung it long before 2010.

From what I’ve seen when researching it. The song was used by many clubs from the late 50’s with saints simply swapped for reds, blues, rovers etc etc.

So whilst saints may not be the very first team to have used the theme. We certianly didn’t steal it and convert it back to Saints from Spurs, who’d converted Saints to Spurs 😂😂😂
I've heard it in all its guises using team colours as well but to think spurs fans think they had it first and the Saints stole a song containing the word Saints in from them literally has made me chuckle 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good player,But £400k😱
How much is Ronaldo on?

Homer was deadly serious when he said it 😂
The agent, club etc factor in no transfer fee though. Even paying him that much it is likely less over the term of the contract than a transfer fee plus wages. Scary thought but that is how they will view it. They can also sell him at some point and recoup some of that money. They wouldn't be so stupid as to let his contract run down 😉

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The agent, club etc factor in no transfer fee though. Even paying him that much it is likely less over the term of the contract than a transfer fee plus wages. Scary thought but that is how they will view it. They can also sell him at some point and recoup some of that money. They wouldn't be so stupid as to let his contract run down 😉

Tbf, 400k a week equates to more than £80m over 4 years. Imo the way he’s performed over the last 2/3 years I wouldn’t have paid more than £40m for him. I wouldn’t say he warrants £200k a week tbh.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tbf, 400k a week equates to more than £80m over 4 years. Imo the way he’s performed over the last 2/3 years I wouldn’t have paid more than £40m for him. I wouldn’t say he warrants £200k a week tbh.
No player warrants 200k for kicking a football around.
The world of football has gone mad.
Has Italian football had an upturn,I thought Italy was in recession

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a daft amount of money but I was making the point that wages for free transfer players are distorted and inflated because the lack of transfer fee. We usually don't see the full package, transfer fee, signing on fee, wages etc so maybe this is in line with the amount had Juventus actually bought him?

Using your maths, buy him for £40m, £200k wages a week, sell him for £20m in 3yrs time. As long as they sell him the maths isn't quite as bad.

I agree with you that it seems inflated, hugely inflated. He must have a hell of an agent.