And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree his behaviour was worse and he should nave seen red .but think it was a penalty that’s why he’s upset.

Yep it was a pen, but that does not mean you can behave like that, or at least you shouldn’t be allowed too.

Zaha would claim he was fouled when he then got yellow carded and then red for arguing, but no excuse.

I don’t understand why players acting like complete tools is not clamped down on by the premier league, surely in a world of money and image it doesn’t do any good.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So Zaha, quite rightly, just got an extra 1 game ban for clapping the ref even after getting sent off for doing exactly the same thing earlier. Hope he will learn.

However, Ashley Barnes gets booked for diving for Burnley but is then caught on camera screaming abusive language into the face of the linesman for a prolonged period of time, while flailing his arms around and gobbing in between breathes. Result......nothing from the Premier League.

I would argue Barnes behaviour is far worse than Zaha's and does the game more damage. Makes you wonder why........
Not saying this is right or wrong, but maybe they were lenient with Barnes because the ref actually made a clear mistake in booking for diving when it was a penalty. So he obviously went over the top, but he did have good grounds to be angry in the first place. If I got taken out and then booked for diving, I'd be quite furious too. To ban him for that would be compounding the original mistake even further to be honest.

I also don't really agree that Zaha needed an extra game ban. He got a red for two yellow cards, one game ban is sufficient in my book. Footballers aren't emotionless robots, they're going to react badly to things at times in the heat of the moment.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This is my point exactly, in the middle of the pitch the ref will blow for a shirt tug in an instant, Yet in the box it's very rare to be given.

A player shouldn't need to go down to be awarded a free kick, but having your shirt pulled would rarely (if ever) make you fall over.

So in my eyes it was 100% a dive, but yes it was a foul.

I don't know what the answer is.

Play naked?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not saying this is right or wrong, but maybe they were lenient with Barnes because the ref actually made a clear mistake in booking for diving when it was a penalty. So he obviously went over the top, but he did have good grounds to be angry in the first place. If I got taken out and then booked for diving, I'd be quite furious too. To ban him for that would be compounding the original mistake even further to be honest.

I also don't really agree that Zaha needed an extra game ban. He got a red for two yellow cards, one game ban is sufficient in my book. Footballers aren't emotionless robots, they're going to react badly to things at times in the heat of the moment.

Feel free to watch any of the 6 nations matches this weekend and see how they reacy to officials. They knock 7 bells out of each other, massive hits etc but when the ref speaks they all shut up, listen and do as he says. Most other sports are the same. The passion angle used in football to excuse the snarling nastiness towards officials is poor.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Feel free to watch any of the 6 nations matches this weekend and see how they reacy to officials. They knock 7 bells out of each other, massive hits etc but when the ref speaks they all shut up, listen and do as he says. Most other sports are the same. The passion angle used in football to excuse the snarling nastiness towards officials is poor.
Maybe the refs are just better in rugby so there's less to argue about?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the refs are just better in rugby so there's less to argue about?
It's a different culture. From the very beginning, junior rugby, respect for the ref is installed. Kids watching rugby watch the pro's and see respect. What do young footballers see? Ashley Barnes, Wayne Rooney at his peak etc snarling and swearing at refs. It's a diifferent game with different issues, not pure by any means, but the ability to be civil to an official should not be a tricky problem.

Incidentally, you can argue in rugby if you so wish. The ref will reverse a penalty if necessary against you for doing it. Whatever happens he will move the penalty 10yds closer to your try line. Keep arguing and he will move again and again, they do as well, it is not an idle threat. Either you learn and shut up or your team mates shut you up. Very simple. Players rarely do it twice and if they do their team mates / coach etc don't want them back in the team. Similar in hockey, open your mouth and you are in the sin bin for 10 minutes. Good way to lose friends if you keep costing your team matches. Football toyed with the 10yd idea but bottled it. That was a great shame.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a different culture. From the very beginning, junior rugby, respect for the ref is installed. Kids watching rugby watch the pro's and see respect. What do young footballers see? Ashley Barnes, Wayne Rooney at his peak etc snarling and swearing at refs. It's a diifferent game with different issues, not pure by any means, but the ability to be civil to an official should not be a tricky problem.

Incidentally, you can argue in rugby if you so wish. The ref will reverse a penalty if necessary against you for doing it. Whatever happens he will move the penalty 10yds closer to your try line. Keep arguing and he will move again and again, they do as well, it is not an idle threat. Either you learn and shut up or your team mates shut you up. Very simple. Players rarely do it twice and if they do their team mates / coach etc don't want them back in the team. Similar in hockey, open your mouth and you are in the sin bin for 10 minutes. Good way to lose friends if you keep costing your team matches. Football toyed with the 10yd idea but bottled it. That was a great shame.
I don't think they bottled it, it just didn't work because football is a totally different game. In rugby the aim is to get to the end line so moving up 10 yards will always be helpful. But in football a free kick from out on the wing 40 yards out or 30 yards out doesn't make much difference, you're just crossing it into the box either way. In fact a central free kick from 29 yards out might even be easier to score from than 19 yards out where you have less space to get the ball up and down over the wall. And a free kick from 20 yards inside your own half or 10 yards inside your own half makes absolutely no difference. Failed experiment really.

They do say football is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen don't they? :p

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s easy to roll the Rugby argument out, but it’s not an easy answer, the culture of both sports goes back generations, you won’t suddenly fix football by copying Rugby.
Look at the serious injuries inflicted on Rugby players by each other hidden from the referees in scrums or rucks and mauls etc and then we hold them up as beacons of light as an example for Footballers to follow because they don’t argue with the Ref!
As much as I 100% agree we need Footballers to take responsibility for their behaviour and if both sports were starting out today then yes we should copy Rugby.
Football is tribal, it’s a different mind set, the stakes are higher both financially and socially and is far to established to believe that something so simple as looking at Rugby and how their players treat officials will fix it, how players speak to Refs is a minor issue in the game imo.
Just so we don’t get the typical footballer supporter who doesn’t understand.........blah blah blah, I played Rugby for years and was a season ticket holder at the Falcons for 5 years, still go and watch the odd game both at local and premiership level, just get frustrated when the Rugby card is brought out every time the treatment of officials is discussed.
Rugby has a lot of own issues which seem to get ignored.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm certainly not blind to thuggery in rugby, that is a seperate discussion. This is purely about respect to officials.

I am sure the 10yds rule would have worked had it been enforced correctly. I don't think their hearts were in it, offiicials or players.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm certainly not blind to thuggery in rugby, that is a seperate discussion. This is purely about respect to officials.

I am sure the 10yds rule would have worked had it been enforced correctly. I don't think their hearts were in it, offiicials or players.
But that’s the problem, it’s cause and effect, you can’t isolate one issue from another, ie, why are the players (both sports) reacting like they are, is the standard of Referees different etc etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep it was a pen, but that does not mean you can behave like that, or at least you shouldn’t be allowed too.

Zaha would claim he was fouled when he then got yellow carded and then red for arguing, but no excuse.

I don’t understand why players acting like complete tools is not clamped down on by the premier league, surely in a world of money and image it doesn’t do any good.
He was fouled but was booked for raising his hands I thought.
The clapping was just childish.
The FA are like the golf powers that be no balls.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very good post ,if only.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Won't have anything to do with Solskjaer - this will be a Woodward, Scouting team decision. Solksjaer will have little to no involvement in transfers or contracts at this point.