And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

Fair play, I saw it on SSN this morning and they were making out he should have been booked for diving....which to be honest I could understand. Just shows how even with VAR you're going to get differing opinions.
Agreed, first sight he went down easy, but there was contact and even if it winds fans up, players will go down when they feel it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really? As an outsider I thought you were worse off now than when you had Big Sam, but that's fair enough if you value pretty football over results. Silva is currently the favourite in the sack race though, so I'm sure you won't be suffering him much longer anyway. Considering the home fixtures you have coming up, he needs to win 3 out of the next 4 away games I reckon, and he's only won 3 all season. Borrowed time.

Who would you go for as your next manager? David Wagner is the favourite which I find a bit strange. Not sure what qualifies him to manage a team looking to creep into Europe. Moyes is only 6/1 - christ that has to be depressing.

We've had a bad run, but I've got faith in Marco to bring it back, we were playing great stuff up until the Liverpool game, just need to get our confidence back. The squad is a hell of a lot stronger, going forward we're a lot better than we were last year, we're just criminally inept from set pieces, if Marco and his coaching staff can sort that out we'll be in a good position. The Wolves result was bad, but if we can go on a run once we get over this tough run of home games we've got a chance of making 7th which is progress. Was never going to be a smooth season, Marco inherited a squad full of rubbish that was massively lacking in confidence and it's going to take time to turn it around.

I don't see him getting sacked anytime soon, so not even considering new managers at the minute.

D

Deleted member 18121

Agreed, first sight he went down easy, but there was contact and even if it winds fans up, players will go down when they feel it.

I guess thats always the argument....if the contact doesnt actually make you fall over then isnt going to ground a dive. But then how else do refs know you've been fouled. I've got a feeling that argument is just like a circle....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before last night we were 2 points worse off after the same amount of games as last night, this is his first season and we he’s inherited a lot of crap.
If we get rid it’ll be 4 managers in just over 12 months, then how much do we give the new guy to spend and how long till we judge him?
Without being silly, how patient will Spurs be with Poch if you don’t win anything or Lpool with Klopp or is top 4 enough?
We are no were near top 6 and it will take patience and giving a manager time to expect us to at least become competitive.
No manager on this planet could walk in to Everton, spend nowt and make this squad top 6 material.
I'm not saying you should sack him necessarily, I'm just saying it looks like the writing is on the wall. The set piece defending is fundamentally poor, you've let Wolves and Watford come in and overtake you, and you have a difficult run of fixtures to claw that back. This game away at Watford is absolutely vital for Silva's future I think. It's a must win for him. As you've suggested, your owners aren't perhaps the most patient around.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've had a bad run, but I've got faith in Marco to bring it back, we were playing great stuff up until the Liverpool game, just need to get our confidence back. The squad is a hell of a lot stronger, going forward we're a lot better than we were last year, we're just criminally inept from set pieces, if Marco and his coaching staff can sort that out we'll be in a good position. The Wolves result was bad, but if we can go on a run once we get over this tough run of home games we've got a chance of making 7th which is progress. Was never going to be a smooth season, Marco inherited a squad full of rubbish that was massively lacking in confidence and it's going to take time to turn it around.

I don't see him getting sacked anytime soon, so not even considering new managers at the minute.
Is that true? Only glancing at your results but it looks as though you've only really beaten relegation battling teams or teams in horrible form, and mostly at home. The only exception being a good away win against Leicester.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not saying you should sack him necessarily, I'm just saying it looks like the writing is on the wall. The set piece defending is fundamentally poor, you've let Wolves and Watford come in and overtake you, and you have a difficult run of fixtures to claw that back. This game away at Watford is absolutely vital for Silva's future I think. It's a must win for him. As you've suggested, your owners aren't perhaps the most patient around.

Silva reminds me of Martinez
Great attacking play but poor at buying / coaching defenders

For Belgium Martinez has the benefit of his defense being coached by decent managers for their clubs

D

Deleted member 16999

I guess thats always the argument....if the contact doesnt actually make you fall over then isnt going to ground a dive. But then how else do refs know you've been fouled. I've got a feeling that argument is just like a circle....
I don’t think we’ll ever get a situation were everyone is happy or honest.
If you haven’t seen them have a search for Francis Lee winning penalties in the early 70’s:eek:
Also don’t think it helps the media looking for controversey.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that true? Only glancing at your results but it looks as though you've only really beaten relegation battling teams or teams in horrible form, and mostly at home. The only exception being a good away win against Leicester.

It is true. We were playing lovely football, controlling possession, having more shots than basically every team we faced and then put in a great performance against Liverpool only to lose it at the death. Since then it's all gone Pete Tong, confidence has dropped and the quality of football has dropped off. I thought the Burnley win would be the turning point but obviously not, as you say the Watford game will be huge.

D

Deleted member 16999

But who is saying this? You’re using phrases like “must win” why? It’s his first season, happy to start judging him this time next year.

If you want to look at how a club should do it take at look at our neighbours, Klopp finished 11th (I think) in his first season, but the owners trusted his plan and gave him time, now I’m not saying Silva is Klopp or better or worse, just that sometimes people outside the clubs make more of it than is needed.
As for the owners, Koeman had a nightmare and there were problems (rumoured) behinds the scenes, Unsworth was a stop gap and Allardyce was given one job and a load of money to do it.
Silva is Moshiri’s pick and will show some faith.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But who is saying this? You’re using phrases like “must win” why? It’s his first season, happy to start judging him this time next year.

If you want to look at how a club should do it take at look at our neighbours, Klopp finished 11th (I think) in his first season, but the owners trusted his plan and gave him time, now I’m not saying Silva is Klopp or better or worse, just that sometimes people outside the clubs make more of it than is needed.
As for the owners, Koeman had a nightmare and there were problems (rumoured) behinds the scenes, Unsworth was a stop gap and Allardyce was given one job and a load of money to do it.
You were competing for 7th this season, no? Presumably that was the aim. Your rivals for 7th are Wolves & Watford it seems, and you already lost to Wolves last week so they're 5 points clear of you. Losing to Watford would put them 4 points clear of you as well, and you've played a game more than both of them, so that would be pretty comprehensive, with you unlikely to claw it back given your fixture list.

Silva reminds me of Martinez
Great attacking play but poor at buying / coaching defenders

For Belgium Martinez has the benefit of his defense being coached by decent managers for their clubs
That's exactly what he is. He's a straight up clone of Bobby Martinez. Fooling people into thinking he's a decent manager with pretty football while he can't even get the basics of defending right in his teams.

D

Deleted member 16999

You were competing for 7th this season, no? Presumably that was the aim. Your rivals for 7th are Wolves & Watford it seems, and you already lost to Wolves last week so they're 5 points clear of you. Losing to Watford would put them 4 points clear of you as well, and you've played a game more than both of them, so that would be pretty comprehensive, with you unlikely to claw it back given your fixture list.

That's exactly what he is. He's a straight up clone of Bobby Martinez. Fooling people into thinking he's a decent manager with pretty football while he can't even get the basics of defending right in his teams.
Who says were competing for 7th? We want to have a good season and build for the future, we’ve had too many false dawns.
I’ll judge Silva in May on how this season’s gone, like I say it’s outsiders putting pressure on.
Last season we were “apparently” in a relegation fight when Allardyce came in, he had us safe in late Feb/early March, why then didn’t he change his style of football and prove he was the man for the job?
If Silva takes us to 5th like Martinez did, shall we sack him? The same Martinez who took Belgium to the 3rd place in the WC or is it once again down to the quality of players and not him?
Serious question to you, or anyone else, what is acceptable to you as a fan of your club as a measure of success?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who says were competing for 7th? We want to have a good season and build for the future, we’ve had too many false dawns.
I’ll judge Silva in May on how this season’s gone, like I say it’s outsiders putting pressure on.
Last season we were “apparently” in a relegation fight when Allardyce came in, he had us safe in late Feb/early March, why then didn’t he change his style of football and prove he was the man for the job?
If Silva takes us to 5th like Martinez did, shall we sack him? The same Martinez who took Belgium to the 3rd place in the WC or is it once again down to the quality of players and not him?
Serious question to you, or anyone else, what is acceptable to you as a fan of your club as a measure of success?
Big Sam's way of operating is to sort the defence out first and worry about style of play later. I don't believe he was given enough time to do the latter. Silva obviously prefers to do it the other way round - get them playing his style and then worry about defending later - and likewise I also don't reckon he'll be given time to do the latter.

Not to focus on Martinez when he is in the past, but when he finished 5th it was his first season and he still had Moyesy's defence - conceding 39 goals. The following season it was 50, and the season after that 55. So there's is Bobby's influence for you.

As for the World Cup, yes I do believe he had one of the best squads to work with and basically any manager would have got them a reasonable distance. But even with the like of Toby, Jan and Kompany, they still conceded 2 goals each to Tunisia and Japan. :oops: The only truly good result he got was beating Brazil, and by no coincidence, that was the only game where he actually changed his system to suit his players. i.e. not playing De Bruyne in defensive midfield.

D

Deleted member 16999

So why once we’d reached safety did Allardyce continue with awful football, he had nothing to lose?
Everyone likes to point out how good Allardyce is, but when asked would you have at your club? They all answer no! o_O

Martinez was no way perfect, but he also got us to 2 semi finals and was far better to watch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only people who suggest Sam are ones who have never had him at their club, Bolton fans excepted. If Poch goes to Utd this summer how about Spurs take him on. Go for it, I'm sure if would be a decision loved by the Spurs faithful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Silva's job was not to come 7th, no awards for 7th. It was to stabilise, get rid of the dead wood, improve the style of play, make progress going forward. That doesn't happen in one season very often. He is still moulding the team, still dealing with bad buys from previous regimes. If he is manager next year, I hope he is, and we are in the same position at this stage, in terms of performance as well as league position, then he will be in big trouble. At the moment though he has to be given time to get the team he wants playing the way he wants. Half a seaon largely with the players from 2 previous regimes is nowhere near enough. If we get rid of Silva then the whole rejig starts again.

D

Deleted member 1740

We finished 8th in his 1st half a season.

The one thing that really pishes me off is how managers are only judged/given transfer windows nowadays. It used to be 3-5 seasons.

Spending £130m on a couple of players sounds a lot but this current transfer climate isnt the best to be judging managers.

Unless clubs attracts major investment you wont see an instant improvement like City and Chelsea have in prèvious years.

D

Deleted member 1740

The only people who suggest Sam are ones who have never had him at their club, Bolton fans excepted. If Poch goes to Utd this summer how about Spurs take him on. Go for it, I'm sure if would be a decision loved by the Spurs faithful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Silva's job was not to come 7th, no awards for 7th. It was to stabilise, get rid of the dead wood, improve the style of play, make progress going forward. That doesn't happen in one season very often. He is still moulding the team, still dealing with bad buys from previous regimes. If he is manager next year, I hope he is, and we are in the same position at this stage, in terms of performance as well as league position, then he will be in big trouble. At the moment though he has to be given time to get the team he wants playing the way he wants. Half a seaon largely with the players from 2 previous regimes is nowhere near enough. If we get rid of Silva then the whole rejig starts again.

Exactly the same people who thought Hodgson should've been given time at Liverpool.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big Sam's way of operating is to sort the defence out first and worry about style of play later. I don't believe he was given enough time to do the latter. Silva obviously prefers to do it the other way round - get them playing his style and then worry about defending later - and likewise I also don't reckon he'll be given time to do the latter.

Not to focus on Martinez when he is in the past, but when he finished 5th it was his first season and he still had Moyesy's defence - conceding 39 goals. The following season it was 50, and the season after that 55. So there's is Bobby's influence for you.

As for the World Cup, yes I do believe he had one of the best squads to work with and basically any manager would have got them a reasonable distance. But even with the like of Toby, Jan and Kompany, they still conceded 2 goals each to Tunisia and Japan. :oops: The only truly good result he got was beating Brazil, and by no coincidence, that was the only game where he actually changed his system to suit his players. i.e. not playing De Bruyne in defensive midfield.

Bit like when Bilic took over .. first season he had big Sam defence we finished 7th with a pos goal difference

Was downhill from there

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We finished 8th in his 1st half a season.

The one thing that really pishes me off is how managers are only judged/given transfer windows nowadays. It used to be 3-5 seasons.

Spending £130m on a couple of players sounds a lot but this current transfer climate isnt the best to be judging managers.

Unless clubs attracts major investment you wont see an instant improvement like City and Chelsea have in prèvious years.

Taken us nearly 20 years to get a new manager, think we should be allowed to see what the merry go round is like for bit (albeit Big Sam puishing that a step too far imo ;) )

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think our expectations are slightly different, and Sam would be underqualified for the role. ;) That said, I was happy when he was appointed manager of my country. Thought he was the ideal candidate at that time.

So why once we’d reached safety did Allardyce continue with awful football, he had nothing to lose?
Are you suggesting he already had the defence sorted in a few short months?? I'd imagine he hoped to consolidate for the rest of the season and build the team in his image that summer. As I said, he wasn't given the chance. I think your board panicked when they appointed him in the first place to be honest, then as soon as you were safe they realised they actually didn't want him at all. The managerial equivalent of a deadline day panic buy.

Exactly the same people who thought Hodgson should've been given time at Liverpool.
Why do you have him as an avatar? Did you lose a bet?