And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

No doubt agent influenced but to a degree there is a sympathy for a player wanting to get matches and not being anywhere near a squad. Injuries changed that but perhaps he knew once everyone was fit again he'd be out of the picture. Perhaps Klopp could have been more cute in how he used Clyne but as your other players start to come back perhaps he'll be proved to be right and he was surplus to the needs of the team

Clyne had been out for over 12 months he was just getting back to match fitness. i think Klopp was trying to ease him back into the squad, we'll never know.

Clyne was blowing out of his backside after 60mins against yernited mid december. Now hes gone hes suddenly turned into Cafu.

Should we have kept Solanke incase Bobby,origi or sturridge got injured?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would be critical of Clyne wanting to leave in a title challenge..
Players don't want to sit on the bench. He went from competing with Walker for England to being about 5th choice for his country now. If he stayed and won the league having made about 5 appearances, would he really feel like he earned it or played a significant part anyway? I wouldn't.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clyne had been out for over 12 months he was just getting back to match fitness. i think Klopp was trying to ease him back into the squad, we'll never know.

Clyne was blowing out of his backside after 60mins against yernited mid december. Now hes gone hes suddenly turned into Cafu.

I get your point and agree we'll never know, nor will we know how much the agent fed the idea of a move to him. Had he stayed, got fully match fit and playing well, he would definitely given Klopp a good squad rotation option. To non-Liverpool fans it was the timing that seemed so strange when you are carrying injuries and have a lot of big games coming up. Time will tell of course.

D

Deleted member 1740

I get your point and agree we'll never know, nor will we know how much the agent fed the idea of a move to him. Had he stayed, got fully match fit and playing well, he would definitely given Klopp a good squad rotation option. To non-Liverpool fans it was the timing that seemed so strange when you are carrying injuries and have a lot of big games coming up. Time will tell of course.

Exactly.

Dont forget Clyne asked to go, Klopp never pushed him, though i think the Solanke sale had a say in the deal for Clyne.

The injuries happened after clyne went, total fluke.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going off Klopp in a big way, the man is seriously lacking in class.

His over exuberance on the touch line , running onto pitch before the match is over and last week when grounds staff only cleared the Liverpool end of snow at half time against Leicester.

He’s a changed man.

I'm sure you'll be mortified to find out that Arsene used to put the heating right up in the away dressing room at arsenal then, so that the cold would hit the opposing team when out on the pitch.

Martin Keoen - last week.(y)

D

Deleted member 1740

Players don't want to sit on the bench. He went from competing with Walker for England to being about 5th choice for his country now. If he stayed and won the league having made about 5 appearances, would he really feel like he earned it or played a significant part anyway? I wouldn't.

Its all hypothetical, if klopp had his hindsight tshirt on at the time he wouldnt have let Clyne go.

We've had this conversation no point going over it again is it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Still was one of the best performers on the day. No-one said he's cafu - making that up.

Origi and sturridge is cover. When TAA and Gomez are injured, you have a 16 year old.

Are you saying a former England right back wouldnt have been good cover in his natural position rather than using midfielders that would be better employed at the moment keeping Keita out the side.

There was no rush to let Clyne out on loan - if the injuries clear up, let him go the end of Jan, but we let him go too early.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What about if he had played 10+ games though?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its all hypothetical, if klopp had his hindsight tshirt on at the time he wouldnt have let Clyne go.

We've had this conversation no point going over it again is it.
I've never said that you shouldn't have let Clyne go. I was simply answering your comment where you criticised Clyne himself for leaving.

On the contrary, I completely understand why you let him go, he wasn't getting a look in, and Fabinho is a perfectly capable right back (god knows why you've not actually used him there though).

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

You have 1 proper right back now. Not really comparable.

Square pegs and round holes won't win league titles.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about if he had played 10+ games though?
I'm talking about at the time he left. He made 1 start and 3 subs for Liverpool in the league. That sounds like someone who's been frozen out, perfectly understandable that he would want to leave, rather than sitting on his backside and praying for an injury crisis.

D

Deleted member 1740

Rubbish - why did he play against man U then?

That was his 1st game back from his long absence. I think Klopp was trying to mage him after such a long absence theees no way he couldve been thrown straight in for a long run in the side.

His performance hasnt been questioned.

D

Deleted member 1740

Why not, just cos your argument looks well weaker now?

No its not, My Opinion is working off the basis that he had a fit squad at that time.

If it was last week in jan, Clyne wouldve been playing.

The more i think about it, that Solanke deal was dependant on getting Clyne aswell IMO.

D

Deleted member 1740

Still was one of the best performers on the day. No-one said he's cafu - making that up.

Origi and sturridge is cover. When TAA and Gomez are injured, you have a 16 year old.

Are you saying a former England right back wouldnt have been good cover in his natural position rather than using midfielders that would be better employed at the moment keeping Keita out the side.

There was no rush to let Clyne out on loan - if the injuries clear up, let him go the end of Jan, but we let him go too early.

We never had the injuries when the deal was sanctioned.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm talking about at the time he left. He made 1 start and 3 subs for Liverpool in the league. That sounds like someone who's been frozen out, perfectly understandable that he would want to leave, rather than sitting on his backside and praying for an injury crisis.

He wasnt frozen out, hed been out injured for over 12months, he wasnt match fit and it showed against Yernited in his 1st start back.

D

Deleted member 1740

You have 1 proper right back now. Not really comparable.

Square pegs and round holes won't win league titles.

We have 2 in TAA and Fabinho (brazilian RB).

Injuries in midfield haven't helped.