And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A draw was a fair result. Fair play to Leicester, they done their job.

Those type of fouls are the reason the red card was introduced for the Professional Foul. Mane has a couple of yards on Evans/Maguire if not fouled, red card imo.

2 mistakes from 2 players who have been immense this season for their goal but we never created enough to win the game.

That's report sounds very similar to the one I wrote last night. Don't think either City or Liverpool played there A games.

Just seen the MOTD spuds game, was it right showing only 29K at the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those type of fouls are the reason the red card was introduced for the Professional Foul. Mane has a couple of yards on Evans/Maguire if not fouled, red card imo.
Disagree. To give some a straight red card the ref has to be absolutely sure that there would have been a CLEAR goalscoring chance. When it's 50 yards from goal, the ball is running out wide and getting held up in the snow, and two defenders have the chance to cut off the angle as he runs back in, there is no way the ref can be sure of that.

D

Deleted member 1740

Disagree. To give some a straight red card the ref has to be absolutely sure that there would have been a CLEAR goalscoring chance. When it's 50 yards from goal, the ball is running out wide and getting held up in the snow, and two defenders have the chance to cut off the angle as he runs back in, there is no way the ref can be sure of that.

Disagree.

From where i was sat and i've just seeen the replay, Mane had made his run across Maguire and Evans had already lost the ball. The ball wasnt going that far wide, Mane is rapid and would've still been in between last man and keeper IMO. It was 35 yards out where the foul happened.

We never got the decisions tonight but equally we didnt create enough to win the game.

Maguire knew exactly what he was doing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought Leicester looked like the team that won the PL .
They played very well and had the better chances to win.
I think that’s a red as no way Evans was catching Mane , McGuire proffesional foul he knew what he was doing!
It’s difficult to play through a team that sets up to defend like this.
We just didn’t do enough , stupid foul cost us.
Three subs and Salha stayed on for 90 mins just thought he was missing tonight.
The pen enough said shocker.

Only just thawed out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally disagree.
Mane is moving Evans and McGuire are both standing still.
The ball was pretty straight and not running wide.
The snow actually stoped it running to the keeper.
Mane had scored from a wider angle than that earlier.
McGuire knew exactly what he was doing and I think the ref got it wrong.
Typical that he scored and shouldn’t be on the pitch.
If a player of Manes calibre is away one on one how is that not a goal scoring chance?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't a red card for Maguire for me either. Ball was miles from goal and was drifting wide. Did not deny a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Keita should have had a penalty though!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the match I also saw the angle of the ball so wasnt surprised with a yellow, after seeing replays still think the same, although very borderline.

I also thought at the match that Keita kicked the ground, but was wrong there. Leicester played very well, a draw was about fair, although the 2 big decisions (3 if you include who the goalscorer was) didnt go our way, but hey ho.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wasn't a red card for Maguire for me either. Ball was miles from goal and was drifting wide. Did not deny a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Keita should have had a penalty though!

I dont think its as cut and dry as that - the ball was clear past both CB's,and Mane would have reached the ball before the CB's could get back and the GK - the angle was going towards the edge of the box and Mo would have been up with Mane as well when you consider the pace pf the pair of them. The easy decision was for the yellow card - the letter of the law was Red card . I think its one you couldnt complain about if a red was given.

Clear penalty on Keita but also thought the linesman had shockers - but thankfully those poor decisions didn make a difference ( well apart from flagging Mane offside when he was clearly on)

I wonder what would have happened with VAR - could see Maguire going off and Keita getting the pen

But what was poor was the ref in the studio - said no Pen until they showed him the clear touch on the foot and he then said pen !

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Completely disagree. The ball was drifting towards the touchline, not toward the box, and he was miles from goal. Mane wasn't in on goal if he'd got past Maguire.

The penalty should be the decision being discussed, that's the clear and obvious mistake the ref made and would have almost certainly resulted in a goal. That cost Liverpool the game, not the Maguire decision.

Leicester's defence were excellent last night. Pereira was the MOTM for me, he was excellent all night both in defence and attack.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the match I also saw the angle of the ball so wasnt surprised with a yellow, after seeing replays still think the same, although very borderline.

I also thought at the match that Keita kicked the ground, but was wrong there. Leicester played very well, a draw was about fair, although the 2 big decisions (3 if you include who the goalscorer was) didnt go our way, but hey ho.
An honest assessment as always.

I see Klopp was complaining about the surface not allowing the ball to run freely,so at half time got the ground staff to sweep half the pitch to help Liverpool not Leicester,sounds a bit unfair.

I suspect City and Liverpool kicking themselves as one could have closed the gap and the other opened a significant one.
Looks like an exciting run in.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
An honest assessment as always.

I see Klopp was complaining about the surface not allowing the ball to run freely,so at half time got the ground staff to sweep half the pitch to help Liverpool not Leicester,sounds a bit unfair.

I suspect City and Liverpool kicking themselves as one could have closed the gap and the other opened a significant one.
Looks like an exciting run in.
Thought clearing the snow at one end only just to favour Liverpool was very poor.

As regards the Maguire / Mane incident, Maguire actually fouled Mane before Evans missed it, therefore when the foul was committed there was no clear goal scoring opportunity.

The Henderson foul on Maddison on the edge of the box has been conveniently been forgotten - a big decision that went Liverpool’s way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Completely disagree. The ball was drifting towards the touchline, not toward the box, and he was miles from goal. Mane wasn't in on goal if he'd got past Maguire.

The penalty should be the decision being discussed, that's the clear and obvious mistake the ref made and would have almost certainly resulted in a goal. That cost Liverpool the game, not the Maguire decision.

Leicester's defence were excellent last night. Pereira was the MOTM for me, he was excellent all night both in defence and attack.
Only the most one-eyed Liverpool fan could say that was a clear goalscoring opportunity. The key word is clear - Mane would have had a bit to do there once he got to the ball, considering he's running out wide at an angle, and the defence would have run straight towards goal to get goal side.

I was also thinking how good that Ricardo Pereira was last night. I'd take him at Spurs over Aurier any day! And over Trips at the moment.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Thought clearing the snow at one end only just to favour Liverpool was very poor.

As regards the Maguire / Mane incident, Maguire actually fouled Mane before Evans missed it, therefore when the foul was committed there was no clear goal scoring opportunity.

The Henderson foul on Maddison on the edge of the box has been conveniently been forgotten - a big decision that went Liverpool’s way.
Of all the points raised, these are the ones I agree with most, don't think the Maguire foul was as clear cut or as bad as Kompanys challenge on Salah.

D

Deleted member 15344

As i said i dont think its as clear cut BUT i can see why the yellow was given and i would expect its a 50/50 call on intepretation and expectations of the players - its very hard to judge one way or the other what would "definalty" had happen if Mane wasnt brought down - we will see red cards for it in the future and we will see yellows for it - its a call that if it goes against you you could question the thinking - its just a discussion point , on first thinking last night i didnt expect the red because he was too far from the goal.

The penalty - well thats clear as day , the ref was right inline and could see what was going on

But the ref missed a lot last night , the foul on Maddison , which was a free kick and there were others through the game - think overall he had a poor performance and its not his first

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't see the game, don't have BT, but I heard the first 20 minutes in the car coming back from a rules night, as dull as it sounds unfortunately. Dion Dublin stated Liverpool should have been 3 up at that point, no fault of the ref there, he didn't miss the chances. Liverpool had 78% possession, plenty of time to do something with the ball then. They had 10 shots out of that 78% possesion, not the ref's fault they didn't convert dominant possesion into goals. Of those 10 only 3 were on target, not the ref's fault they couldn't hit a barn door last night.

Hey, let's not look at the above, let's blame someone not in a red shirt last night o_O.

5 points clear at the top, enjoy it and stop bleating.

Incidentally, to save effort, we shall take as default that for all Liverpool's remaining fixtures "the ref had a shocker"

D

Deleted member 15344

I didn't see the game, don't have BT, but I heard the first 20 minutes in the car coming back from a rules night, as dull as it sounds unfortunately. Dion Dublin stated Liverpool should have been 3 up at that point, no fault of the ref there, he didn't miss the chances. Liverpool had 78% possession, plenty of time to do something with the ball then. They had 10 shots out of that 78% possesion, not the ref's fault they didn't convert dominant possesion into goals. Of those 10 only 3 were on target, not the ref's fault they couldn't hit a barn door last night.

Hey, let's not look at the above, let's blame someone not in a red shirt last night o_O.

Incidentally, to save effort, we shall take as default that for all Liverpool's remaining fixtures "the ref had a shocker"

Just to be clear - i dont recall anyone "blaming the ref" for Liverpool not winning

Im not sure why you beleive anyone is "blaming the ref" for Liverpool not winning - if you want to you can point out where its been suggested as such

People have said the draw was a fair result and that Leicester played well and that we didnt create enough - but i guess that was ignored and instead just go for the old "whinging Liverpool fans blame referee"

People can discuss a poor performance without suggesting he is at fault for a team not winning

Tashyboy

Visit site

😂😂😂😂😂😂