And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

Or to look at another way managers don’t always get it right, take Klopps thinking that he had good enough keepers when every man and his dog knew different, it could be argued that it cost them the CL Final.

It was Hodgson who persisted with Sterling in 3 games and was terrible then Rashford came on for 10 mins in one game and got mom.

I think Southgate is doing well and think / hope he’s savvy enough to see Sterlings only good enough to throw on in the last 20 min when things don’t go well.
I’m not saying Southgate has got it right, I’m saying let’s wait and see and then judge him, your counter arguments are all hindsight.
I don’t care if he plays Sterling in goal if we win.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thing Sterling will have a good say in an England shirt his pace can cause even the best defense trouble.

Noooooooooo, you can’t rely on pace at international level 🙈
His choice of pass, first touch and finishing are woeful, light years behind rashford.
I can see past the last two to a degree but his on field choices show his football brain is just not there.
And please, don’t post any more stats on how many he’s scored for Man City (not at you btw 😉) history shows some strikers who’ve smashed it in the regular season just aren’t up to it on the international stage.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My thoughts on Sterling is that we'll never get the same player City get. The only thing he is exceptional at is movement, and in that team where they have 70% of the ball, he's invaluable, gets 6 or 7 chances a game so despite his poor shooting ability he'll stick one away. In the England side we are clearly setting up to play more of a counter attacking direct style of play, so while his pace will be handy, he'll only get 2 or 3 chances in a game, and chances are he'll miss them all.

I thought Rashford made a great case for himself last night. Costa Rica defenders were petrified whenever he was on the ball, running at them. He's more direct than Sterling, and his shooting is definitely better. Sterling would never, ever score a goal like the one Rashford got last night. It's not in his locker.

I think Sterling will definitely get the nod against Tunisia, as I think he's done enough previously to make that place his. But I would love to see Rashford come in against Panama, and I think it's a real possibility since you need a bit of rotation to get through a tournament without burning players out. I have a feeling we'll see Kane & Sterling v Tunisia, Kane & Rashford v Panama, and Vardy & Sterling against Belgium - as Vardy may get the space in behind he needs to work against Belgium (he won't against the first two - as per last night when he was utterly useless against a deep defence). It makes sense to rest Kane for that one (assuming we have 6 points from the first two) as Toby and Jan are used to playing him every week in training as well, so Vardy may cause them more problems.

Prediction for Tunisia game:
Pickford
Walker - Stones - Cahill
Trippier - - - Henderson - - - Rose
Dele - - - Lingard
Sterling - Kane​

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Noooooooooo, you can’t rely on pace at international level 🙈
His choice of pass, first touch and finishing are woeful, light years behind rashford.
I can see past the last two to a degree but his on field choices show his football brain is just not there.
And please, don’t post any more stats on how many he’s scored for Man City (not at you btw 😉) history shows some strikers who’ve smashed it in the regular season just aren’t up to it on the international stage.

I'm with you on most things regarding Sterling don't worry about that and I do believe Rashford is the better option.

Regarding Sterling his pace causes major problems its only his finishing and sometimes final ball that let's him down,however England do have more opportunities when he plays.
His work rate is superb as well.
I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's a good option to have.
The last two games havnt really shown our defensive frailties that I believe are there but at least we are going to get a couple of barbies in before we are out.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The last two games havnt really shown our defensive frailties that I believe are there but at least we are going to get a couple of barbies in before we are out.

:D
I think they have been shown but the poor opposition haven't punished us for them. Against real top quality players we'd have been made to pay the price.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m not saying Southgate has got it right, I’m saying let’s wait and see and then judge him, your counter arguments are all hindsight.

I remember you saying let’s get behind Hodgson and give him a chance. Sometimes you don’t need hindsight for what’s blinding obvious 👍

Btw I think Southgate is managing well so far especially giving youth a chance , hope it goes well for us. 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

I remember you saying let’s get behind Hodgson and give him a chance. Sometimes you don’t need hindsight for what’s blinding obvious 👍

Btw I think Southgate is managing well so far especially giving youth a chance , hope it goes well for us. 👍
I’ll say it before every Championship, like Hodgson you can’t blame Southgate for the opposition we draw in qualifying and it’s no good slagging the 23 they choose to take to actual competition.

Everybody who dislikes Sterling is quite happy to drag up his history and ignore his positives, even before a ball has been kicked.

Last night the opposition was poor apparently, but yet Rashford played himself into a starting XI.
Despite the 2 team we’ve played also going to Russia, maybe should we of played Luxembourg, scored double figures and be celebrating winning the World Cup.

I’d be happy with last 8 or last 16 if the effort and improvement is there, this is a young squad and hopefully they’ll give a good account of themselves.
If it’s once again an embarrassment then the blame is on the manager.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last night the opposition was poor apparently, but yet Rashford played himself into a starting XI.

It's not that mate, in my case anyway I can clearly see he's head and shoulders better than Stirling, his quality in all areas is far superior.
The team they played didn't matter, Stirling does what Stirling does best against anyone, Rashford for me does more and offers a better threat. You're never going to see Stirling take on 3 players and smash in into the top corner (unless it comes off his knee twice and shin three times) but I see that in Rashford, a proper game changer who deserves a good go at it rather than stupid impact sub with 10 minutes left and the opposition sitting back.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's not that mate, in my case anyway I can clearly see he's head and shoulders better than Stirling, his quality in all areas is far superior.
The team they played didn't matter, Stirling does what Stirling does best against anyone, Rashford for me does more and offers a better threat. You're never going to see Stirling take on 3 players and smash in into the top corner (unless it comes off his knee twice and shin three times) but I see that in Rashford, a proper game changer who deserves a good go at it rather than stupid impact sub with 10 minutes left and the opposition sitting back.
How often have seen Rashford do that? Even last night in the 2nd half Rashford had 3 or 4 miscontrols or gave the ball away easily, personally I see them in different roles and would play both either side of Kane.
Sterling’s movement and defensive side to his game is better imo.
Either way all this criticism of Sterling before a ball has been kicked is unfair.

D

Deleted member 18588

Rashford had a good game last night, no question.

But he spe6most of his time up against a guy who couldn't cut it at WBA and, more recently, couldn't get a game at Celtic.

His "show & go" tricks aren't going to be as effective against decent defenders and he most certainly is not a clinical finisher.

Having said that I would pick both him and Sterling to play in behind Kane.

Not certain that Alli has the necessary qualities for a starting place .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree and hope they do well. Having a squad playing for the shirt is worth a lot more than a few prima-donna's
I agree , get the young lads in to get some experience.
Maybe in four years time they will make us a force.
But to many managers have gone for experienced players when the chips are down
Either way they get slated by the press.
Hope South Gate gets the mix right could do with some nail bitters as watching England over the years hasn’t been that good.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
It means for us that Henderson and Milner will be on the bench - the three signings can form a brand new midfield - Fabinho sits , Kieta is your ball player with the power runs box to box and Fekir is the creator who will work very closely with Firmino but it means we now have players like Ox , Henderson etc as your back up

Fekir can also play a bit higher as a central part of the three so can be there instead of Firmino but then can play wide in a midfield four. It looks like it’s giving Klopp more depth and options - I’m axtually pretty excited about the signings he is doing

brings his spend up to about £400m?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think South gate has done a good job with the players he has.
Do you think if he starts Raahford he has actually changed his mind on who starts,its hard to believe before the Costa Rica game Rashford was starting the first game.
What also would that tell you about South gate changing at such a late stage after one good performance.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would Henderson be on the bench for Liverpool? Is he not the club captain?

The same reason why he was on the bench at times last season - it’s long season , it’s a squad game and with the way Klopp has the high levels of energy from the middle of the park it’s going to need more than just three from the middle - when the signings come in our midfield will be massively strengthened both in quality and depth , and just because Henderson is captain doesn’t mean he gets picked week in week out but he will play his part and will always be underrated - last night he controlled that game and some of his passing was sublime , he should be in the middle of the park for England

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The same reason why he was on the bench at times last season - it’s long season , it’s a squad game and with the way Klopp has the high levels of energy from the middle of the park it’s going to need more than just three from the middle - when the signings come in our midfield will be massively strengthened both in quality and depth , and just because Henderson is captain doesn’t mean he gets picked week in week out but he will play his part and will always be underrated - last night he controlled that game and some of his passing was sublime , he should be in the middle of the park for England

Yea Battersea Park