And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 18588

Keep hearing on here that Sterling can't finish, has no first touch, contributes nothing etc;

Rather begs the question why a club with the resources of Man City bought him.

Clearly their management and scouts know less about the game than the experts on here.

The funniest of the lot is the suggestion that Welbeck should be preferred to him. That's the same Welbeck that couldn't get a start at Man U and they weren't exactly blessed at the time.

D

Deleted member 15344

Or to look at another way managers don’t always get it right, take Klopps thinking that he had good enough keepers when every man and his dog knew different, it could be argued that it cost them the CL Final.

It was Hodgson who persisted with Sterling in 3 games and was terrible then Rashford came on for 10 mins in one game and got mom.

I think Southgate is doing well and think / hope he’s savvy enough to see Sterlings only good enough to throw on in the last 20 min when things don’t go well.

Your clear dislike of Sterling has been evident all season long dispite him proving you wrong week in week out in the Prem - i can’t understand how the best manager in the world can’t see what you can

As for judging on the last tournament - I’m surprised you didn’t also mention Kane who had a complete shocker on the pitch at the same time as Rashford was warming up.

I’m amazed that Sterling has reached the level he has when you read what you post about him.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your clear dislike of Sterling has been evident all season long dispite him proving you wrong week in week out in the Prem - i can’t understand how the best manager in the world can’t see what you can

As for judging on the last tournament - I’m surprised you didn’t also mention Kane who had a complete shocker on the pitch at the same time as Rashford was warming up.

I’m amazed that Sterling has reached the level he has when you read what you post about him.

It’s his England career that I have been most critical of , can’t remember offhand but is it 2 goals in nearly 40 games tell me that’s acceptable

Remember Pep draging him off for missing from 2 yards against Burnley missed a sitter against West Brom too, 19 goals is a excellent return from him this season but playing in that side my granny could have scored the same and unfortunately she’s dead, and got the sitter against Burnley

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Southgate's no fool .................... and nor are Hoddle and Ian Wright who'd both have Rashford rather than Sterling.
It has to be Rashford because I think he offers far more at international level.
Bring it on!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well according to the jungle drums on Twitter Liverpool have sorted the Fekir transfer out for £44 mil plus add ons - the fee looks a bargain. Hopefully it will be announced officially soon

Not just aimed at LP but at all Liverpool fans.....Is there any concern that with Keita, Fabinho and probably Fekir arriving it could mean Mane/Salah leaving? Are these signings strengthening the squad or preparing for the departure of one of their current squad?

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s his England career that I have been most critical of , can’t remember offhand but is it 2 goals in nearly 40 games tell me that’s acceptable

Remember Pep draging him off for missing from 2 yards against Burnley missed a sitter against West Brom too, 19 goals is a excellent return from him this season but playing in that side my granny could have scored the same and unfortunately she’s dead, and got the sitter against Burnley

Ali has 2 goals , Rashford 2 goals , Lingard 1 goal

Christ Welbeck is the top England goalscorer in the squad

England played under Hodgson for the past 6/7 years and were shocking beyond belief as a team on the whole so how anyone can dimiss a young clearly talented player who has shown throughout the season week in week out that he is one of the best current English players based on performances under the dinosaur i will never know.

And all this nonsense about “my granny could have scored” etc is complete twaddle with no base. The ball doesn’t just hit sterling and it goes in - his outstanding movement and positioning gets him in the right place at the right time to get the chance to score

City and Pep don’t play sub standard players

But it’s all typical of the way England’s young talented players get treated in the media and by fans - ripped apart by club rival fans

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Not just aimed at LP but at all Liverpool fans.....Is there any concern that with Keita, Fabinho and probably Fekir arriving it could mean Mane/Salah leaving? Are these signings strengthening the squad or preparing for the departure of one of their current squad?

None of those players play in the same areas as Mane or Salah - all three will supplement the midfield with Fekir being the Coutinho replacement

Don’t see anyone leaving that Klopp doesn’t want to let go - Salah and Mane aren’t going anywhere imo and these players coming in are strengthening the squad - this is the Coutinho Money being spent now ( the money that everyone said was spent on VVD even though the club said it was still there :D )

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
None of those players play in the same areas as Mane or Salah - all three will supplement the midfield with Fekir being the Coutinho replacement

Don’t see anyone leaving that Klopp doesn’t want to let go - Salah and Mane aren’t going anywhere imo and these players coming in are strengthening the squad - this is the Coutinho Money being spent now ( the money that everyone said was spent on VVD even though the club said it was still there :D )

Cheers LP, I've got very little knowledge of the players coming in other than that Fekir being described as a forward and the other two being described as midfielders. Was just wondering how they would all fit in to Klopp's (apparent) preferred formation of a front 3 of Mane/Salah/Firminio.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers LP, I've got very little knowledge of the players coming in other than that Fekir being described as a forward and the other two being described as midfielders. Was just wondering how they would all fit in to Klopp's (apparent) preferred formation of a front 3 of Mane/Salah/Firminio.

It means for us that Henderson and Milner will be on the bench - the three signings can form a brand new midfield - Fabinho sits , Kieta is your ball player with the power runs box to box and Fekir is the creator who will work very closely with Firmino but it means we now have players like Ox , Henderson etc as your back up

Fekir can also play a bit higher as a central part of the three so can be there instead of Firmino but then can play wide in a midfield four. It looks like it’s giving Klopp more depth and options - I’m axtually pretty excited about the signings he is doing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

England played under Hodgson for the past 6/7 years and were shocking beyond belief as a team on the whole so how anyone can dimiss a young clearly talented player who has shown throughout the season week in week out that he is one of the best current English players based on performances under the dinosaur i will never know.

And all this nonsense about “my granny could have scored” etc is complete twaddle with no base. The ball doesn’t just hit sterling and it goes in - his outstanding movement and positioning gets him in the right place at the right time to get the chance to score

But it’s all typical of the way England’s young talented players get treated in the media and by fans - ripped apart by club rival fans

Hodgson only got 4 years, 2012-16. During that time Sterling got his only goals for England in 29 appearances. He’s made 12 since without a goal. His club record during that time was 34/173. Hardly sparkling under the superstar managers he had at club level.

This season has been his stand out season, from an England POV I hope it continues, but as has been said. So far he hasn’t done it for England and that’s down to more than just hodgson, as much as you’d like it to be all his fault.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
who knows the fans are the last to find out.
I havnt got a clue.
But would hope it’s the former!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Ill hold my hands up and say I’m impressed, so far. If you don’t lose anyone of note prior to the window closing and have gotten a keeper in. It’ll be a good window for you.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Its a Marmite thing you like him or not.
My main point is he is asked different questions playing for England and his return is not good.
Thats not really his fault as his return with City is very good But England is not Man City and will never be.
The question was Sterling or Rashford
For me I would say how many would Rashford score if he played in City’s team.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ill hold my hands up and say I’m impressed, so far. If you don’t lose anyone of note prior to the window closing and have gotten a keeper in. It’ll be a good window for you.
Jack Butland would do me with these new players we would have a very good squad something that cost us last season!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It means for us that Henderson and Milner will be on the bench - the three signings can form a brand new midfield - Fabinho sits , Kieta is your ball player with the power runs box to box and Fekir is the creator who will work very closely with Firmino but it means we now have players like Ox , Henderson etc as your back up

Fekir can also play a bit higher as a central part of the three so can be there instead of Firmino but then can play wide in a midfield four. It looks like it’s giving Klopp more depth and options - I’m axtually pretty excited about the signings he is doing

So who’s the new Club/team captain going to be?

Will Henderson and Ox be satisfied being bench players, surely if they want regular football and starts they’ll want to leave, but then there’s not a top 6 PL side that would be interested in them, so maybe they’ll stay and enjoy the ride being a squad player!

Still no rumours on a goalkeeper though, so it’s more of the same, ‘we’ll score more than you’ syndrome as whatever you’ve changed with outfield players, you’ve always leaked too many goals.

D

Deleted member 15344

So who’s the new Club/team captain going to be?

Will Henderson and Ox be satisfied being bench players, surely if they want regular football and starts they’ll want to leave, but then there’s not a top 6 PL side that would be interested in them, so maybe they’ll stay and enjoy the ride being a squad player!

Still no rumours on a goalkeeper though, so it’s more of the same, ‘we’ll score more than you’ syndrome as whatever you’ve changed with outfield players, you’ve always leaked too many goals.

There are plenty rumours on a goalkeeper - take your pick from Allison , Oblak and Leno - all three strongly rumoured over the last couple of weeks

And Oxlade and Henderson will both play games throughout the season , one of the critical parts of the team was the lack of squad depth - we are now getting that - both were superb for us last year and both will continue to be so.

As for club captain if Henderson isn’t on then pitch then it’s going to be VVD or Firmino or it doesn’t really matter.

We are buying quality and our squad and first 11 is improving - no more standing still or going backwards. And as for the leaking goals - believe the defensive record in the Prem since VVD came in was one of the best if not the best.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
There are plenty rumours on a goalkeeper - take your pick from Allison , Oblak and Leno - all three strongly rumoured over the last couple of weeks

And Oxlade and Henderson will both play games throughout the season , one of the critical parts of the team was the lack of squad depth - we are now getting that - both were superb for us last year and both will continue to be so.

As for club captain if Henderson isn’t on then pitch then it’s going to be VVD or Firmino or it doesn’t really matter.

We are buying quality and our squad and first 11 is improving - no more standing still or going backwards. And as for the leaking goals - believe the defensive record in the Prem since VVD came in was one of the best if not the best.

So basically you’re saying “It’s going to be our year” 😁

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want a clinical finisher, Rashford is not your man. Just saying.

Maybe the word clinical is not the one but he certainly is a more natural goalscorer.
I thing Sterling will have a good say in an England shirt his pace can cause even the best defense trouble.
Feel a bit for Vardy as England just don't play his style of football.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is this a bit like your dislike of Tiger Woods