And, we’re off.......2018/2019

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Decent finish from Radford, helped by a flat footed keeper. No doubt the press will be claiming we're cup winners if we beat what looks like a Costa Rican side that are hardly up for a game and more intent on picking up no injuries

Decent finish? Slight understatement.

Stunning strike that dipped beautifully leaving the goalkeeper flat footed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Totally agree! Can’t see why Sterling gets a game before the lad.

Well I guess because Rashford hasn’t had the greatest season and hasn’t scored a high level of goals where as Sterling has, even his own club manager doesn’t seem to trust him enough.

There is no reason why they shouldn’t both play together either side of Kane.

Sterling appears to be the easy target but he has produced the goods all season long

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I guess because Rashford hasn’t had the greatest season and hasn’t scored a high level of goals where as Sterling has, even his own club manager doesn’t seem to trust him enough.

Sterling appears to be the easy target but he has produced the goods all season long
Come on Phil I am 60 now and would fancy myself to score a few in city’s team.
Whens the last time you saw Sterling score one like that.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Rashford has done well and deserves a chance in the first game, as has rose in my opinion.

I think maguire has probably played himself out of the 11 and loftus cheek hasn’t done enough to take Alii place imo

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd rather have Wellbeck ahead of Sterling especially with his recent goalscoring record in internationals. I don't think Sterling has ever done enough at the the highest level and has been flattered playing in a City side so rich in talent. Hard not to get loads of goals in a side like that. I think Rashford has suffered under Mourinho (as have others) but he's a different player in an England shirt and I'd have him alongside Kane for the hold up play. He has a better touch than both Sterling and Wellbeck and so Southgate has good options. Shame he'll play safe with Sterling

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on Phil I am 60 now and would fancy myself to score a few in city’s team.
Whens the last time you saw Sterling score one like that.

Sorry but does it count for double by scoring from distance ? Rashford got 7 in the league - Sterling over double that.

Sterling scored the goal this season , he put away countless chances all season long - he won’t get the credit he deserves no matter what he does. He has scored goals throughout his career and people always dismiss it by using the team he is in as an excuse. It’s complete nonsense - his movement and positional sense is superb and that’s what gets him into the positions to score the goals - the best manager in the world plays him week in week out even when he spends millions on other players that can play in the same position.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but does it count for double by scoring from distance ? Rashford got 7 in the league - Sterling over double that.

Sterling scored the goal this season , he put away countless chances all season long - he won’t get the credit he deserves no matter what he does. He has scored goals throughout his career and people always dismiss it by using the team he is in as an excuse. It’s complete nonsense - his movement and positional sense is superb and that’s what gets him into the positions to score the goals - the best manager in the world plays him week in week out even when he spends millions on other players that can play in the same position.
Yes I can’t afgue with the logic , but I would counter you by saying look at the absolute sitters he has missed this season.
In a World Cup game we might get ONE chance in the game and I would rather Rashford had it Than Sterling.
Thats Just my honest opinion.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is a reason they can’t play together and that’s Because Sterling isn’t good enough to play international football, there are a few more coming around to this conclusion, which I might add should have been evident in the last tournament.

I hope Rashford has done enough tonight to get a place ahead of Sterling, he has more to his game than Sterling will ever have.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

I would play them both, instead of lingard

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sterling is a pace merchant who scores tap ins

He plays in a very good side so reeps the benefits . When he played for Liverpool he had the best player in the league along side him so he again had Service

However rashford , vardy , etc could all do his job in the same teams no issue

The fact vardy has done it arguably better in a team where he had to work harder shows to me he is the better player

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes I can’t afgue with the logic , but I would counter you by saying look at the absolute sitters he has missed this season.
In a World Cup game we might get ONE chance in the game and I would rather Rashford had it Than Sterling.

Exactly. Even in the PL Sterling needs a load of chances to score one goal. He can get away with it as City create so many chances per game. In an international, as you say we can't afford to be that wasteful. I think Rashford simply offers more, will get goals and his hold up play will create more chances for Kane

D

Deleted member 15344

Rashford will have missed sitters but then he might not even get in the position to miss the sitters , I have seen strikers all over the world miss sitters but then Sterling isn’t the main striker - he is a winger or a wide midfielder where as Rashford is a striker yet Sterling scores the goals.

The England manager should actually get both of them in the team with Kane but by being rigid in regards three at the back and wingbacks then it’s not going to happen

Watching the game tonight and a bit of the first game the team I would play would be

Butland

Walker
Stones
Dier
Rose

Henderson
Loftus Cheek
Ali

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

But then against Belguim would bring in Cahill and move Dier into CM

D

Deleted member 16999

We often compliment other Nations for not actually playing their best 11 but for playing their best team.
Maybe we should have some faith in Southgate and back his decisions, the first 11 may not be yours or my first 11, but it’s his, and he’ll be training and practising those players best suited to how he wants us to set up.
Hopefully he gets it right and whether it’s Sterling or Rashford or Vardy or Kane, let’s get behind them once the WC kicks off and judge them then.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well according to the jungle drums on Twitter Liverpool have sorted the Fekir transfer out for £44 mil plus add ons - the fee looks a bargain. Hopefully it will be announced officially soon

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well according to the jungle drums on Twitter Liverpool have sorted the Fekir transfer out for £44 mil plus add ons - the fee looks a bargain. Hopefully it will be announced officially soon

Being reported as £53 million plus add-ons on other media. I don't know enough about him to know if that would be a bargain or not.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We often compliment other Nations for not actually playing their best 11 but for playing their best team.
Maybe we should have some faith in Southgate and back his decisions, the first 11 may not be yours or my first 11, but it’s his, and he’ll be training and practising those players best suited to how he wants us to set up.
Hopefully he gets it right and whether it’s Sterling or Rashford or Vardy or Kane, let’s get behind them once the WC kicks off and judge them then.

Or to look at another way managers don’t always get it right, take Klopps thinking that he had good enough keepers when every man and his dog knew different, it could be argued that it cost them the CL Final.

It was Hodgson who persisted with Sterling in 3 games and was terrible then Rashford came on for 10 mins in one game and got mom.

I think Southgate is doing well and think / hope he’s savvy enough to see Sterlings only good enough to throw on in the last 20 min when things don’t go well.