And, we’re off.......2018/2019

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is he though?

Am interested how much is Olé, how much the likes of Mike Phelan and the rest of the team.

There's a fair number of coaches on the bench now, seems to me a team effort, not just one man.

Just enjoy it while it lasts ,
It’s a team game and that includes the coaches but with Maureen he wanted it to be about him, that’s what has changed imo.

Somethings gone wrong on my iPad again ( gremlins.)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think he started off with the easiest job in the world.
All he had to do was tell the players to play their natural, attacking game whilst wearing a smile and having fun.
They didn't have to be terrified of making a mistake as they were all part of a collective rather than a set of individuals waiting to be publicly humiliated.
He just reminded them of who they were playing for and what that meant.
Then came the first real test away at Spurs where Ole showed a ton of tactical nous .......................... which I wasn't sure he had.
Then, last night, he surprised everyone by putting Lukaku out wide and we all know how that turned out!
Next month United come up against PSG and City, let's take stock after that.
He should definitely not be considered until the season is over, but if he carries on as he's been going so far it'd be difficult to argue against him, especially as he's showing a level of tactical ability that I didn't know he had!

Whilst the upturn in results is clear to see, did he really show much in the spurs game? You seemed to play the same as all the rest. Just go out and enjoy yourself etc. Not sure De Gea having the limbs of an octopus is really a tactical master stroke tbh.

Was more impressed with last night than the spurs game tbh. That game seemed to be effected more by tactics than luck.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is he though?

Am interested how much is Olé, how much the likes of Mike Phelan and the rest of the team.

There's a fair number of coaches on the bench now, seems to me a team effort, not just one man.
You are quite right but it also doesn't matter does it? Pretty much all of the top managers had either a number 2 or a collective or coaches to help. Cloughie had Peter Taylor, Liverpool had the boot room in their heyday, Fergie always had a strong coach alongside him. The manager makes the final decision, sets the tone but I would hope that they do have a team to help. His team seems pretty good so far, smart move.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are quite right but it also doesn't matter does it? Pretty much all of the top managers had either a number 2 or a collective or coaches to help. Cloughie had Peter Taylor, Liverpool had the boot room in their heyday, Fergie always had a strong coach alongside him. The manager makes the final decision, sets the tone but I would hope that they do have a team to help. His team seems pretty good so far, smart move.
No. It doesn't matter. But it's not a dig.

I'm trying to point out it's a team effort.

People quick to hail him as a tactical genius.

He might be, he might not be.

Be better to know the facts before making such claims.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. It doesn't matter. But it's not a dig.

I'm trying to point out it's a team effort.

People quick to hail him as a tactical genius.

He might be, he might not be.

Be better to know the facts before making such claims.
Sorry, didn't mean it to come across as a dig. I agree with you, it come be him, it could be his group of coaches. I think a collective approach is more likely in the modern era, no shame in that. What he is doing well is creating the right environment for those around him, coaches and players. That is pretty evident.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
FFS. What a joke. Full strength team beaten by Millwall. Embarrassing. 2 stupid fouls by Digne. 2nd shouldn't have counted but without VAR there's not much you can do. Pathetic.

D

Deleted member 15344

FFS. What a joke. Full strength team beaten by Millwall. Embarrassing. 2 stupid fouls by Digne. 2nd shouldn't have counted but without VAR there's not much you can do. Pathetic.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Best in the league :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If ever there was an example of where VAR can work this was it. Everybody saw it on the big screen. To be honest though Everton couldn't deal with second balls from set pieces throughout the game and so Millwall were always going to carry on lumping them into the box

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Best in the league :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I called him the best "attacking full back" in the league in exaggeration and in jest after he scored a last minute winner, but don't let that get in the way of a good laugh.

We weren't good enough. Defending of set pieces continues to let us down week after week and barely produced anything going forward. The fact we managed 3 shots on target all game against Millwall is a joke. Gylfi hardly got a touch, DCL did nothing, Lookman did nothing but give it away and couldn't get the ball to Richarlison who was constantly in space. Rubbish.

D

Deleted member 1740

Everton were pish poor. I didn’t think it was deliberate handball, it hit him that quick he couldn’t move his arm out of the way.

Kilbane was saying his arm moved towards the ball but it looked to me like his arm moved after the ball had hit him.

D

Deleted member 1740

I called him the best "attacking full back" in the league in exaggeration and in jest after he scored a last minute winner, but don't let that get in the way of a good laugh.

We weren't good enough. Defending of set pieces continues to let us down week after week and barely produced anything going forward. The fact we managed 3 shots on target all game against Millwall is a joke. Gylfi hardly got a touch, DCL did nothing, Lookman did nothing but give it away and couldn't get the ball to Richarlison who was constantly on the floor. Rubbish.

Agreed 😉

D

Deleted member 1740

unconfirmed reports a Millwall fan was slashed in the grid today. Hope its not true.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nasty, proper shithouse behaviour that.
Both fans prearranged meet at Surrey Quays, video shows fighting between both sets of fans, this guy is in the front throwing punches and you can clearly see a one bloke reach over the fella he’s trading blows with and slash him.