And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When did you buy Aguero ? Or Lewandowski or Suárez ?

And if Kane does go for silly money it’s not a handful of Lamelas or Kane’s is it - it’s two or three £60/70/80 million pound players - which ultimately strengthens the squad , gives it depth as well as balance - if the club has no money to spend on players because of the stadium build then selling to bring in depth maybe what’s needed
Would rather have Kane than any of those three. He has about 5 years on them for a start.

Those players would still be less good than Kane though. Morata cost £60m. Fred cost £60m. Imagine selling Kane and getting a handful of flops like them. Levy knows full well that splashing cash gives you no guarantees whatsoever.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy for a Liverpool fan to say sell like they did with Coutinho when they had Salah, Firmino and Mane already in the squad to provide the goals. Spurs sell Kane and they're left with Son, Lamela and Llorente. Hardly comparable. Spurs aren't going to improve the quality of their attack by selling Kane.

D

Deleted member 15344

Easy for a Liverpool fan to say sell like they did with Coutinho when they had Salah, Firmino and Mane already in the squad to provide the goals. Spurs sell Kane and they're left with Son, Lamela and Llorente. Hardly comparable. Spurs aren't going to improve the quality of their attack by selling Kane.
But we were lacking in other areas that needed investment - GK , CB and Midfield

It’s all about balancing the squad if a club hasn’t got the money like City and at times need to cash in on a big player if other areas need to be improved - Spurs have a solid back line , pretty good in midfield and attacking midfield but have just really the one striker

If they don’t have money to bring in players to support or back up Kane then how do they move forward ? There is a lot of players on the market that can be bought to replace Kane - is he that “irreplaceable “ ? Can bringing in 3 top quality players not provide the same level spread across different people - they could for example say bring in players - Icardi , Dybala and maybe Zaha for the money they could get for Kane - would that not improve the overall strength of the squad

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I remember Liverpool fans worrying when they sold courtinho that they hadn’t replaced him.. little could they foresee that he was holding them back!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But we were lacking in other areas that needed investment - GK , CB and Midfield

It’s all about balancing the squad if a club hasn’t got the money like City and at times need to cash in on a big player if other areas need to be improved - Spurs have a solid back line , pretty good in midfield and attacking midfield but have just really the one striker

If they don’t have money to bring in players to support or back up Kane then how do they move forward ? There is a lot of players on the market that can be bought to replace Kane - is he that “irreplaceable “ ? Can bringing in 3 top quality players not provide the same level spread across different people - they could for example say bring in players - Icardi , Dybala and maybe Zaha for the money they could get for Kane - would that not improve the overall strength of the squad
Dybala something like 7 goals in 25 games so and Zaha! Are you sure? 21 games and 3 goals. Are you honestly suggesting they are suitable long term (and expensive) replacement for Kane and would enhance the squad.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah, so you sold a player that wasn't that important (as you had depth in attack) in order to prioritise other areas. Spurs don't have that luxury. They don't have the attacking depth available to just sell their only world class striker to try and improve the squad. It's not comparable. Selling Eriksen is more comparable to Coutinho than selling Kane is, at least they've got a bit of backup in that area in the form of Alli.

Also, you honestly think Spurs would be able to afford to bring Icardi, Dybala and Zaha to the club for the same amount as they get for Kane? Absolutely no chance in the current market. Spurs would be looking at £150m at the absolute max for Kane and a lot of it would likely be spread across instalments and based on performance, so the cash wouldn't be available straight away. You'd maybe be able to get Icardi and Zaha but not Dybala as well, and as if Dybala would leave one of the strongest squads in Europe to join Spurs.

Transfermarkt have a market value calculator based on a load of different statistics and they value Harry Kane at £135m. Compared with:

Mauro Icardi - £90m
Paulo Dybala - £99m
Wilfred Zaha - £31.5m

So they'd maybe be able to get two of them - but is Icardi and Zaha really going to make a massive difference when it comes to plugging the gaps in the squad? I don't think so.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yeah, so you sold a player that wasn't that important (as you had depth in attack) in order to prioritise other areas. Spurs don't have that luxury. They don't have the attacking depth available to just sell their only world class striker to try and improve the squad. It's not comparable. Selling Eriksen is more comparable to Coutinho than selling Kane is, at least they've got a bit of backup in that area in the form of Alli.

Also, you honestly think Spurs would be able to afford to bring Icardi, Dybala and Zaha to the club for the same amount as they get for Kane? Absolutely no chance in the current market. Spurs would be looking at £150m at the absolute max for Kane and a lot of it would likely be spread across instalments and based on performance, so the cash wouldn't be available straight away. You'd maybe be able to get Icardi and Zaha but not Dybala as well, and as if Dybala would leave one of the strongest squads in Europe to join Spurs.

Transfermarkt have a market value calculator based on a load of different statistics and they value Harry Kane at £135m. Compared with:

Mauro Icardi - £90m
Paulo Dybala - £99m
Wilfred Zaha - £31.5m

So they'd maybe be able to get two of them - but is Icardi and Zaha really going to make a massive difference when it comes to plugging the gaps in the squad? I don't think so.
I agree, Spurs imo aren't in a position to take a punt like that. I also hink that if Countinho is worth 140, kane is worth more.

If Poch leaves, an alternative of say £100m and lukaku may not be a bad fit. He had a poor time as did all utd players towards end of mourinhos reign, if he had been given the chance Rashford is now i think he'd be doing as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Mauro Icardi - £90m
Paulo Dybala - £99m
Wilfred Zaha - £31.5m

If Spurs sell Kane they are going to get £200mil at the very least - there are a number of clubs that would have no problems paying that amount and if looking at recent years then maybe more , regardless of what some website says players rarely go for their value - a lot of times way above what any website says - Coutinho certainly not a £140mil player - prob half that - it’s a selling clubs market and they can certainly force the fee up.

I just used the likes of Icardi as a example but there will be no doubt plenty of others out there- at some point it’s going to happen because unless Spurs do spend then players will leave so if Spurs imo do want to make the next step up then they do need to strengthen the squad - if they can’t afford to do it because of the stadium then selling Kane is in option - or they just stand still possibly maybe go backwards

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Neymar didn't go for £200m. There's no way Kane goes for more than that, and then as soon as clubs see Spurs sell Kane, guess what happens? They hike up the prices of their attackers because they know Spurs are coming in for them as they're desperate which means they have even less money to play with.

Spurs need to find money to improve the squad no doubt, but that should not come from selling their only world class and almost irreplaceable talisman. There must be other ways they can finance a few transfers to improve the squad.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would disagree that Spurs have been negligent, football now like it or not is a business and Levy is very astute, it makes good business sense not to lumber the club with more debt.

You could argue it would make more business sense to invest in the Squad to try and win the P/L but that's a gamble that Levy would be unlikely to take.

So try to see this season out finishing in the top four and maybe we could push on from there.

So you will be more than happy if you dont sign anyone in 2 transfer windows?

Even if it possibly also costs you a CL place?

As someone listed out before, most of your great buys were for less than £20 million - I'm not saying that you should be buying 60 mill plus players, but who knows if 1-2 more 20 mill players, you could have also turned into great players.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember Liverpool fans worrying when they sold courtinho that they hadn’t replaced him.. little could they foresee that he was holding them back!

We still havent replaced him 1 for 1, but we used the money to vastly improve other areas. If Coutinho was in his latter role of a 10 in a 4-2-3-1, I think we would be even better.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't agree. When you have the best striker in the world, who can score from practically any position on the field, then you hang onto him as long as you can. Given the choice between one Kane or another handful of Lamelas or Diers, I pick Kane every time.

Thats fair enough - I didnt want Gerrard to leave, and just have the money.

However, do you not trust Poch enough to sign better players than what you did with the Bale money? See my Ian Rush analogy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We still havent replaced him 1 for 1, but we used the money to vastly improve other areas. If Coutinho was in his latter role of a 10 in a 4-2-3-1, I think we would be even better.
Heard a little rumour that Coutino isn’t happy .
But he never cracked any smiles here always looked like he lost a tenner.
I would have him back tomorrow as long as he wants to play here.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats fair enough - I didnt want Gerrard to leave, and just have the money.

However, do you not trust Poch enough to sign better players than what you did with the Bale money? See my Ian Rush analogy.
I think you can only get value for money if you take a punt on someone who's not fully established, which can obviously go either way. We wouldn't be able to get a like for like replacement for Kane straight away I wouldn't think.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard a little rumour that Coutino isn’t happy .
But he never cracked any smiles here always looked like he lost a tenner.
I would have him back tomorrow as long as he wants to play here.
Read that about a fortnight ago. If I were Barcelona I would be trying to make sure he played and was happy (not that I think hes going anywhere), simply because any other player they were to look at might think twice about going there to sit on the bench until Messi and co retire.:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Always like to read the line " we haven't got money like City". City have turned down players VVD being one because City thought the price was to high. De Jong looks like being another. Just coz you can don't mean you have to.