And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bellerins injury as bad as it looked sadly, ruptured ACL and out for this season and some of next. Hopefully Maitland Niles gets a decent run in the team rather than having to watch Lichsteiner act like hes been shot every time someone comes within a yard of him
AMN always looks bloody miserable when he has to play at full back though.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In fairness we probably had Son for those, no? It's not just Kane we're missing, it's Kane, Son & Dele now. I don't even know if Lucas is back fit either. We could certainly have coped if it was just Kane out, but that's our top four league goalscorers this season I've just named.

We've played just as poorly with Kane in the side, trust me. ;)

That sounds ridiculous to me. Their expectation for this season was top 4 only, and despite losing to Arsenal they are still in 4th for the time being. And they've a good chance of getting to the league cup final as well (not that the league cup carries any weight these days).

Doesn’t matter who we had playing without Kane though there’s still some suggesting we’re a one man team.

No one would argue that Kane is very important to our side but IMO its a bit ill informed and disrespectful to the rest of the side , when Kane has missed games over the last couple of seasons we have coped well without him.

So unlucky to have our 3 main scores injured and to be in the position we are in at the moment is great credit to the players and manager.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn’t matter who we had playing without Kane though there’s still some suggesting we’re a one man team.

No one would argue that Kane is very important to our side but IMO its a bit ill informed and disrespectful to the rest of the side , when Kane has missed games over the last couple of seasons we have coped well without him.

So unlucky to have our 3 main scores injured and to be in the position we are in at the moment is great credit to the players and manager.

Spurs knew Lorente and Jansen weren’t working and that HMS would miss two separate periods due to international duty and did nothing. That’s not good.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Son isn't injured, you knew he's be away. And they've missed ONE game so far. If you maintain the position without them, then i think credit is due.

D

Deleted member 15344

You are in the position you are because your three goalscorers have been able to play - Son was always going to miss a number of games which left Kane as the sole striker and it was always a risk for him to go through a season without being injured - it’s a long season and no team will win without some sort of back up in the squad , the manager himself as suggested investment in the squad is needed for Spurs to make the step from top 4 to title challengers over the whole season , if they don’t make that investment then expect the manager to walk to a team that will invest in the team.

If they maintain the current position then credit to them but looking at Fulham game it’s going to be a battle

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You are in the position you are because your three goalscorers have been able to play - Son was always going to miss a number of games which left Kane as the sole striker and it was always a risk for him to go through a season without being injured - it’s a long season and no team will win without some sort of back up in the squad , the manager himself as suggested investment in the squad is needed for Spurs to make the step from top 4 to title challengers over the whole season , if they don’t make that investment then expect the manager to walk to a team that will invest in the team.

If they maintain the current position then credit to them but looking at Fulham game it’s going to be a battle
Really? They did more than enough to win by far more than they did and simply did what all teams do from time to time and make hard work of it. Is the Spurs position with their strikers not any different to what has happened in recent weeks with all your defensive injuries? Klopp hasn't gone out and plugged gaps and add depth and with Spurs and a striker, does it really make sense to pay over the odds in January for someone?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Really? They did more than enough to win by far more than they did and simply did what all teams do from time to time and make hard work of it. Is the Spurs position with their strikers not any different to what has happened in recent weeks with all your defensive injuries? Klopp hasn't gone out and plugged gaps and add depth and with Spurs and a striker, does it really make sense to pay over the odds in January for someone?

Come on Homer, do you really think that Liverpool don't have enough defenders? They have had 5/6 injuries. Spurs have had 1.

Letting Clyne leave MAY be a little foolish, but a manager can't plan for 6 defenders out, they should imo have back up for their striker. That being said, i'd lay it more at Levy's door than Poch. Pretty sure most spurs fans would rather they had someone other than LLorente as back up.

For me, the spurs situation now is similar to Liverpools need for a gk last season, or arsenals near decade need for a dm.

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on Homer, do you really think that Liverpool don't have enough defenders? They have had 5/6 injuries. Spurs have had 1.

Letting Clyne leave MAY be a little foolish, but a manager can't plan for 6 defenders out, they should imo have back up for their striker. That being said, i'd lay it more at Levy's door than Poch. Pretty sure most spurs fans would rather they had someone other than LLorente as back up.

For me, the spurs situation now is similar to Liverpools need for a gk last season, or arsenals near decade need for a dm.

We at some stage had three CB’s our injured and also two right backs out plus a couple of midfield players but because the club invested in the squad in the summer with players like Fabinho we have been able to cover those injuries

Because they have invested in the squad we now have a bench who 12-18 months ago were first team players , we still need a few more to be able to compete on more than one front but hopefully with this little break those players are returning and even Ox is just about to get into full training - one more to bolster the front three ( would like someone like Werner ) a left back and possibly a CB in the summer would be nice - it also feels a bit nicer to be doing it on a self sufficient model as well , signings made on player sales and far smarter commercial income

Your comparison to the GK situation and Arsenal’s DM situation is close to spot on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry, what?? 1?? :ROFLMAO: Kane, Wanyama, Sissoko & Lucas were all injured for the Fulham game, Son was absent, Dier was only just returning and only fit enough for the bench, Dembele was injured anyway before we sold him, and Dele did his hamstring in the game and had to be replaced. That's a bit more than 1.

It is nothing like Liverpool's keeper situation because they were in need of a competent first choice, not a back-up. Arsenal likewise have been looking for a strong first choice. Our first team is already strong and doesn't really have a huge weakness. Our problem is finding squad players who are good enough to step in, but also don't cost the earth and are happy to sit on the bench.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry, what?? 1?? :ROFLMAO: Kane, Wanyama, Sissoko & Lucas were all injured for the Fulham game, Son was absent, Dier was only just returning and only fit enough for the bench, Dembele was injured anyway before we sold him, and Dele did his hamstring in the game and had to be replaced. That's a bit more than 1.

It is nothing like Liverpool's keeper situation because they were in need of a competent first choice, not a back-up. Arsenal likewise have been looking for a strong first choice. Our first team is already strong and doesn't really have a huge weakness. Our problem is finding squad players who are good enough to step in, but also don't cost the earth and are happy to sit on the bench.

The discussion was regards to your striker issue, one position compared to liverpools defensive position.

You make it sound like all those players are first team. You really gonna play Wanyama, Sissoko, Dembele and Dier? They are all replaceable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The discussion was regards to your striker issue, one position compared to liverpools defensive position.

You make it sound like all those players are first team. You really gonna play Wanyama, Sissoko, Dembele and Dier? They are all replaceable.
Surely you know they all play the same position? That left us with Winks and Lord Lucan in the middle.

What we have right now is nothing short of a crisis. Nkoudou, a player who hadn't featured in the league for us since October 2017, had to be brought on on Sunday - and I wouldn't be surprised if he has to start on Thursday.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Let's be realistic for Spurs to compete to win the league they would have to spend massively to keep pace with Man.City it's not going to happen with the current situation.

It would have made sense to sign another forward especially as we're competing in C/L as well as the two domestic cups but it didn't happen ,we are still in a good position to finish in the top four which is important for next season, if you look at the games played without Kane Spurs have done well, so it could be a argued that the gamble of not signing another forward has paid off, time will tell.

It was a struggle against Fulham but we won ,the same struggle as Liverpool have had in some games this season.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Surely you know they all play the same position? That left us with Winks and Lord Lucan in the middle.

What we have right now is nothing short of a crisis. Nkoudou, a player who hadn't featured in the league for us since October 2017, had to be brought on on Sunday - and I wouldn't be surprised if he has to start on Thursday.

I'm not denying that, i'm simply saying that you highlighted me saying 1 player. When the discussion was clearly about Kane. You have name dropped other players now, but for the last week in regards to the Kane discussion the others haven't been mentioned.

Looking at the minutes played, Wwanyama and Dembele are after thoughts. One is leaving, so wouldnt use him as a player you'll miss tbh.

So whilst i agree you have a lot out, in regards to Kane's importance and the neglect shown to not have suitable cover, a nnumber of defensive cm are irrelevant.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Over the course of this season the injuries to our squad has been massive Vertongen,Rose, Erickson, Deir,Dembele, Sissoko, Lucus ,Kane, Wanyama, now Alli as well,all first team regulars.

D

Deleted member 15344

Let's be realistic for Spurs to compete to win the league they would have to spend massively to keep pace with Man.City it's not going to happen with the current situation.

It would have made sense to sign another forward especially as we're competing in C/L as well as the two domestic cups but it didn't happen ,we are still in a good position to finish in the top four which is important for next season, if you look at the games played without Kane Spurs have done well, so it could be a argued that the gamble of not signing another forward has paid off, time will tell.

It was a struggle against Fulham but we won ,the same struggle as Liverpool have had in some games this season.

Really ? Surely it doesn’t have to be a fortune to be spent to challenge - a couple of players to bolster the squad - especially as your first surely is good enough to challenge ? There must be some money there to buy some players to enhance the squad - if not then can you see the likes of Kane and Eriksen hanging around ? Both Arsenal and Liverpool have seen what happens if the team doesn’t seriously challenge - the better players look to leave to club that can win them big trophies.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really ? Surely it doesn’t have to be a fortune to be spent to challenge - a couple of players to bolster the squad - especially as your first surely is good enough to challenge ? There must be some money there to buy some players to enhance the squad - if not then can you see the likes of Kane and Eriksen hanging around ? Both Arsenal and Liverpool have seen what happens if the team doesn’t seriously challenge - the better players look to leave to club that can win them big trophies.

Our first team is good enough to challenge for the title but our squad is not,buying the type of players to compete with City who have quality cover in most positions is not going to happen.

If we can settle in to the new stadium with C/L next season things might change, I think .....well hope the players and Pochitino will want to stay for at least one season at the new ground.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our first team is good enough to challenge for the title but our squad is not,buying the type of players to compete with City who have quality cover in most positions is not going to happen.

If we can settle in to the new stadium with C/L next season things might change, I think .....well hope the players and Pochitino will want to stay for at least one season at the new ground.

they did, the problem is its this year and you havent moved in yet :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not denying that, i'm simply saying that you highlighted me saying 1 player. When the discussion was clearly about Kane. You have name dropped other players now, but for the last week in regards to the Kane discussion the others haven't been mentioned.

Looking at the minutes played, Wwanyama and Dembele are after thoughts. One is leaving, so wouldnt use him as a player you'll miss tbh.

So whilst i agree you have a lot out, in regards to Kane's importance and the neglect shown to not have suitable cover, a nnumber of defensive cm are irrelevant.
This is what I'm saying, it's media rubbish as usual. If we'd have failed to beat Fulham it would have been "look how Spurs failed without Kane - one man team, etc." Rather than, look how Spurs struggled without 5 or 6 quality players.

Of course we'll miss Dembele, he's been injured for most of the season and had ongoing fitness issues, Sissoko stepped up and did a really good job, and now he is injured as well. Currently the team picks itself as we just about have a bare 11 players fit.