And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry, what?? 1?? :ROFLMAO: Kane, Wanyama, Sissoko & Lucas were all injured for the Fulham game, Son was absent, Dier was only just returning and only fit enough for the bench, Dembele was injured anyway before we sold him, and Dele did his hamstring in the game and had to be replaced. That's a bit more than 1.

It is nothing like Liverpool's keeper situation because they were in need of a competent first choice, not a back-up. Arsenal likewise have been looking for a strong first choice. Our first team is already strong and doesn't really have a huge weakness. Our problem is finding squad players who are good enough to step in, but also don't cost the earth and are happy to sit on the bench.

The same was said abot AOL and fabinho, and maybe even Keita.

Anyone worth his salt will think that they should be able to match or better the present incumbent, at least with regards to midfielders. Spurs are in eactly the same position as us 18 months ago, as said. A very good 11, and maybe even 15, but you need 20-22 minimum very good players, and some of them to be adaptable to different positions also.

2 transfers windows without Spurs buying quality players is negligent, and could lead to Poch leaving. People arent saying match City's spending. but you have had CL money for maybe 3 years now, and your squad should have an extra 3-4 players (not 10) of sufficient quality.

Surely you were disappointed not signing someone in the summer?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Anyone worth his salt will think that they should be able to match or better the present incumbent, at least with regards to midfielders. Spurs are in eactly the same position as us 18 months ago, as said. A very good 11, and maybe even 15, but you need 20-22 minimum very good players, and some of them to also be adaptable to different positions also.

2 transfers windows without Spurs buying quality players is negligent, and could lead to Poch leaving.
I don't agree that it's exactly the same, since Spurs don't have seemingly infinite money to chuck around. The day we spent 70 and 60 million on a defender and keeper then we'll talk. Our record signing is Davinson Sanchez, you lot spent more on Christian bloody Benteke.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Anyone worth his salt will think that they should be able to match or better the present incumbent, at least with regards to midfielders. Spurs are in eactly the same position as us 18 months ago, as said. A very good 11, and maybe even 15, but you need 20-22 minimum very good players, and some of them to also be adaptable to different positions also.

2 transfers windows without Spurs buying quality players is negligent, and could lead to Poch leaving.

I would disagree that Spurs have been negligent, football now like it or not is a business and Levy is very astute, it makes good business sense not to lumber the club with more debt.

You could argue it would make more business sense to invest in the Squad to try and win the P/L but that's a gamble that Levy would be unlikely to take.

So try to see this season out finishing in the top four and maybe we could push on from there.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
This is what I'm saying, it's media rubbish as usual. If we'd have failed to beat Fulham it would have been "look how Spurs failed without Kane - one man team, etc." Rather than, look how Spurs struggled without 5 or 6 quality players.

Of course we'll miss Dembele, he's been injured for most of the season and had ongoing fitness issues, Sissoko stepped up and did a really good job, and now he is injured as well. Currently the team picks itself as we just about have a bare 11 players fit.

I agree with what you're saying. But, at the same time you have to accept that all top clubs have players more influential players. Lots of those players listed have been missing all season and you've won. The only new injury was Kane, so if results now change then people will look to him.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't agree that it's exactly the same, since Spurs don't have seemingly infinite money to chuck around. The day we spent 70 and 60 million on a defender and keeper then we'll talk. Our record signing is Davinson Sanchez, you lot spent more on Christian bloody Benteke.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ue-record-profit-loss-wages-a8286241.html?amp

Spurs aren’t paupers and have had a good few years of CL football , also with the added extra telly income what are Spurs spending their money on if they aren’t buying players.

Liverpool also don’t have infinite money to throw around but some good player sales as well as increased commercial revenue plus the telly money have helped the club be able to spend - also see we are about to see a net profit over £100mil

If Spurs don’t have any money to spend on players the question has to be asked where is the money going- all into the stadium ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So, if you sold a very good player (Coutinho) and extended one stand (extra 8,000 seats) it can help you afford what you want.

Sell Kane (225 mill?), who is selfish enough to want to play in all matches (probably to keep getting individual goal scoring records) and increase your capacity by 25,000 seats, as well as all of the corporate.

There's the recipe, you mix the ingredients. (y)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, if you sold a very good player (Coutinho) and extended one stand (extra 8,000 seats) it can help you afford what you want.

Sell Kane (225 mill?), who is selfish enough to want to play in all matches (probably to keep getting individual goal scoring records) and increase your capacity by 25,000 seats, as well as all of the corporate.

There's the recipe, you mix the ingredients. (y)

have you not been reading? Kane is there side, theyre a one man team!!!! ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have you not been reading? Kane is there side, theyre a one man team!!!! ;)

I actually dont think they are, and they are a fine side when everyone is fit. Barvest team I seen at Anfield with their football last year, and I even mean above City in that respect, the way they play out from the back.

I do think that Harry is selfish though, and keep relying on one good forward if you like, but everyone knows that injuries are part of the game, and if harry was willing to at least partially rotate with someone who can play up front, or other positions, they would be all the better for it.(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure Kane will leave us eventually. He has said he wants to win trophies, and he also idolises Poch. If Poch goes to Real Madrid, I would not be surprised if Kane follows him. But if and when Kane leaves us, we will never see a striker as good as him again in my lifetime. Whatever fee you get he is completely impossible to replace, so selling him will always weaken the team.

I've said it before but we've got incredibly lucky with how many of our bargain buys have become outstanding players. Kane cost us nothing, Dele 5m, Eriksen 12m, Toby 11m, Vertonghen not much more I don't think, Dembele was 15m. All cost peanuts and went on to be some of the best in the league in their positions. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, it's only thanks to that and a great manager that we've sustained top four for this long. But it also means Levy will feel justified that success is sustainable without investing large sums on individual players.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure Kane will leave us eventually. He has said he wants to win trophies, and he also idolises Poch. If Poch goes to Real Madrid, I would not be surprised if Kane follows him. But if and when Kane leaves us, we will never see a striker as good as him again in my lifetime. Whatever fee you get he is completely impossible to replace, so selling him will always weaken the team.

I've said it before but we've got incredibly lucky with how many of our bargain buys have become outstanding players. Kane cost us nothing, Dele 5m, Eriksen 12m, Toby 11m, Vertonghen not much more I don't think, Dembele was 15m. All cost peanuts and went on to be some of the best in the league in their positions. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, it's only thanks to that and a great manager that we've sustained top four for this long.

Arent the 2nd lot as a result of getting silly money for Bale who plenty thought irreplacable? YOu wont buy a better striker but you may become a better team/squad if the money is invested well

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I've said it before but we've got incredibly lucky with how many of our bargain buys have become outstanding players. Kane cost us nothing, Dele 5m, Eriksen 12m, Toby 11m, Vertonghen not much more I don't think, Dembele was 15m. All cost peanuts and went on to be some of the best in the league in their positions. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, it's only thanks to that and a great manager that we've sustained top four for this long.

No guarantees.

If you used the £200 million to strengthen a few areas, you may be better off.

We never thought we would replace Ian Rush. We bought Beardsley, Barnes, Aldridge and Houghton and made the whole side better, and not reliant on 1 (or 2) players. It can be a massive mistake, but it can also be the best thing you ever done.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Orikoru this is how I think the season will pan out,Liverpool will only draw against West Ham a team that some said would be relagation material this season;) then keep 3 points ahead of City untill they lose away to Man.Utd how that will hurt, ultimate nightmare for them:) then City go on to win the league.

Spurs will finish top four only a few points behind Liverpool.(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arent the 2nd lot as a result of getting silly money for Bale who plenty thought irreplacable? YOu wont buy a better striker but you may become a better team/squad if the money is invested well
Eriksen was the only one of those I mentioned who came from the Bale money. And at the time he was a youngster from Ajax who no other big team had taken a chance on, so was a bit of a gamble nevertheless. Lamela is the only other current player who came from the Bale the money. The rest of it was wasted, pretty much.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've said it before but we've got incredibly lucky with how many of our bargain buys have become outstanding players. Kane cost us nothing, Dele 5m, Eriksen 12m, Toby 11m, Vertonghen not much more I don't think, Dembele was 15m. All cost peanuts and went on to be some of the best in the league in their positions. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, it's only thanks to that and a great manager that we've sustained top four for this long. But it also means Levy will feel justified that success is sustainable without investing large sums on individual players.

Lucky or good scouting network?

I said In the summer the lack of signings was a poor move and would most likely cost you guys

I remember you saying we had brought too many and how would we keep them all happy. It’s easy we have the most injuries in the league lol their never fit all at once

D

Deleted member 15344

This time last year we sold our best player yet moved on - yes Kane is outstanding but he is one player - if sold for a very good amount £150mil day then for that money you could buy two maybe three top quality players than improves your overall team/squad , that way if you does lose one player from the team you then have a squad capable of dealing with it - if Spurs rely on Kane so much then when he does get injured and there isn’t a replacement then imo its going to really harm Spurs chances for a top 4 .

If it’s a choice if Kane or a stronger then maybe it’s worth selling him for as much as you can get and use that money to strengthen the overall squad

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This time last year we sold our best player yet moved on - yes Kane is outstanding but he is one player - if sold for a very good amount £150mil day then for that money you could buy two maybe three top quality players than improves your overall team/squad , that way if you does lose one player from the team you then have a squad capable of dealing with it - if Spurs rely on Kane so much then when he does get injured and there isn’t a replacement then imo its going to really harm Spurs chances for a top 4 .

If it’s a choice if Kane or a stronger then maybe it’s worth selling him for as much as you can get and use that money to strengthen the overall squad
I don't agree. When you have the best striker in the world, who can score from practically any position on the field, then you hang onto him as long as you can. Given the choice between one Kane or another handful of Lamelas or Diers, I pick Kane every time.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with Orikoru. If Spurs want to get to the next level, they have to keep Kane. He's worth more than the money they'd make on him, goalscorers like him aren't easy to find.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't agree. When you have the best striker in the world, who can score from practically any position on the field, then you hang onto him as long as you can. Given the choice between one Kane or another handful of Lamelas or Diers, I pick Kane every time.

When did you buy Aguero ? Or Lewandowski or Suárez ?

And if Kane does go for silly money it’s not a handful of Lamelas or Kane’s is it - it’s two or three £60/70/80 million pound players - which ultimately strengthens the squad , gives it depth as well as balance - if the club has no money to spend on players because of the stadium build then selling to bring in depth maybe what’s needed