And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do we/they want from it? Referee's are there to interpret the laws of the game. We see every ref doing this differently week to week. Its a matter of opinion and at times ALL refs get it wrong
As a match goer, sitting and waiting for VAR kills the atmosphere. Even with a big screen, It takes too long. I cant see how decisions can be made quicker.
I agree that currently it takes too long and needs refining. However can you blame anyone for bringing it in when you consider the vitriol refs get for the marginal descisions they get wrong in a blink of an eye? Likewise the diving, acting and sneaky nasty that goes on by professional players would hopefully be stamped out.
In the end it will good for the game, but we have to accept it won’t be perfect straight away.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do they need to introduce the equivalent of "umpires call" like in cricket? If they look at the replay and it's not immediately obvious that it's the wrong decision they stick with the onfield call and carry on. None of this looking at 15 different angles to see if the striker's big toe was offside.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Dynamic of VAR is totally wrong. It shouldnt be up to the VAR or onfield refs to decide when to use it, or not.

Instead of whether a clear and obvious mistake or not. Put it in the realm of captain/manager of team deciding within 30 seconds if they want to appeal, or not.

3 or 4 decisions a game - sorts out the majority of the problems.

D

Deleted member 1740

The Dynamic of VAR is totally wrong. It shouldnt be up to the VAR or onfield refs to decide when to use it, or not.

Instead of whether a clear and obvious mistake or not. Put it in the realm of captain/manager of team deciding within 30 seconds if they want to appeal, or not.

3 or 4 decisions a game - sorts out the majority of the problems.

i disagree, 8 challenges per game will result in 8x 90 sec disruptions. Do that and the game is finished.

We need a better standard of referees.

The gulf in quality between John moss (worst) right up to Micheal Oliver ( best) is frightening.

D

Deleted member 1740

I agree that currently it takes too long and needs refining. However can you blame anyone for bringing it in when you consider the vitriol refs get for the marginal descisions they get wrong in a blink of an eye? Likewise the diving, acting and sneaky nasty that goes on by professional players would hopefully be stamped out.
In the end it will good for the game, but we have to accept it won’t be perfect straight away.

Do you think its going to change even with VAR?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i disagree, 8 challenges per game will result in 8x 90 sec disruptions. Do that and the game is finished.

The gulf in quality between John moss (worst) right up to Micheal Oliver ( best) is frightening.

The whole argument for me is the 90 seconds is far far too long in a continuous game (its less of an issue in say cricket). Massive blunders should be able to be resolved in 15 seconds, if it takes any longer then its not a clear blunder. 8 15 second stoppages nothing in a game where plenty of sides waste more than that each game already!

D

Deleted member 1740

The whole argument for me is the 90 seconds is far far too long in a continuous game (its less of an issue in say cricket). Massive blunders should be able to be resolved in 15 seconds, if it takes any longer then its not a clear blunder. 8 15 second stoppages nothing in a game where plenty of sides waste more than that each game already!

i agree. You will then have managers who will be using said challenges in a tactical sense rather than for the righg purpose.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i agree. You will then have managers who will be using said challenges in a tactical sense rather than for the righg purpose.

They still havent worked out how to do that right in cricket lol (albeit far easier in football).

On that point the sooner they change the sub rules so a side can only make one set of substitutions after say 75 mins and no substitutions after 85 mins the better. Nothing worse than a manager making a sub in the 92nd minute to break up the game even if the time gets added (which it doesnt always)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Niasse off to Cardiff (y). On loan and they buy at the end of the season. Good to get him off the wage bill.

Best of luck to him. Always tried but not good enough.

D

Deleted member 1740

They still havent worked out how to do that right in cricket lol (albeit far easier in football).

On that point the sooner they change the sub rules so a side can only make one set of substitutions after say 75 mins and no substitutions after 85 mins the better. Nothing worse than a manager making a sub in the 92nd minute to break up the game even if the time gets added (which it doesnt always)

Its annoying when youre trying to get a winner and the opposition team are making subs.

Marco silva springs to mind this season.

He had two subs ready and he decides to hold one back, makes one then makes another one then we scored in extra added on time 😂😂😂

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I said 3 each, not 8, and even then as an example.

You havent given a how we get to a better standard of referees, just a hope. Utopian?

Must try harder. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

I said 3 each, not 8, and even then as an example.

You havent given a how we get to a better standard of referees, just a hope. Utopian?

Must try harder. ;)

You said 3 or 4 each, so make your mind up, 3 or 4?

Get rid of the shite would be a start, there can’t be no worse in the Championship etc than the dross we have now. Sticking with the same old regime season by season isn’t acceptable. Or even be bold and look abroad for the better refs.

Also get rid of the refs main man, he was one of the worst refs we’ve ever seen. It’s like the blind leading the blind.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Get rid of the shite would be a start, there can’t be no worse in the Championship etc than the dross we have now. Sticking with the same old regime season by season isn’t acceptable. Or even be bold and look abroad for the better refs.

Also get rid of the refs main man, he was one of the worst refs we’ve ever seen. It’s like the blind leading the blind.

Do you think that the Prem is the only league in the world that as bad decisions in games?

You’re moaning but not really coming up with a sensible solution.

The refs need help,so why not give em it?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

For tactical substitutions (not for injured players) rolling substitutes, no need to stop the game for them, let the 4th official deal with it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

3.5 :)

Do you know if the championship has better refs, just cos we dont see them every week, you may be presuming that they are better. Do you honestly think that the refereeing would get ,say, 25% better by swapping our 5 worst for the championship's 5 best? Agree on the top man being woeful.

The biggest controversy with VAR is when to use it. Unfair for it to still be on the officials, so put it on the clubs captain/manager themselves, otherwise we'll still be blaming the refs in the boozer afterwards, as we have for time immemorial. Its time for change.(y)

D

Deleted member 1740

3.5 :)

Do you know if the championship has better refs, just cos we dont see them every week, you may be presuming that they are better. Do you honestly think that the refereeing would get ,say, 25% better by swapping our 5 worst for the championship's 5 best? Agree on the top man being woeful.

The biggest controversy with VAR is when to use it. Unfair for it to still be on the officials, so put it on the clubs captain/manager themselves, otherwise we'll still be blaming the refs in the boozer afterwards, as we have for time immemorial. Its time for change.(y)

No but whats the other alternative? Now a ref has a stinker one week and either gets demoted to holding the board up the next game or taking charge of the next Top game!!

I accept refs make mistakes, its part of football and sport in general but theres too many who arent good enough at that level.

Promote top 5 refs of the Championship for the bottom 5 of the PL and you would see a difference im certain of that.

I'm all for change but it cant be at the death of the game. This current VAR isnt fit for purpose and the PL have sanctioned it for use for next season its being rushed. Theh shouldve trialed it, ironed out any issues and set out the agreement on how it will be used.

Instead, theyre making it up as they go along.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Promote top 5 refs of the Championship for the bottom 5 of the PL and you would see a difference im certain of that.

Rubbish.

So who decides who’s the best and worst?
I assume that the ones who’s decisions you agree with are the best?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fabulous game at Wolves. Superb 3rd goal for Wolves.

If you haven't seen this game then set the box to record motd. Brilliant game.

Wolves manager sent off for celebrating the 4th goal with the players on the pitch. Retrospective ban for Mr Klopp :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Last edited: