And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Big blow Kane being out for so long can't see us beating Chelsea in the return leg and it will be hard against the Germans .

Looking at our fixtures until mid March and I think we will get enough points to finish top 4.

Rumours we are looking to get Malcom on loan from Barcelona .

Surprised to find we still have Jansen not that he did much when he played only remember him scoring once he scored for the under 23s the other night.

D

Deleted member 15344

Now am sure somebody on here questioned that last week Homer and was assured alls well 👍

Matip is back now , we have an 11 day break when Gomez and Lovren are expected to be back - we have cover for the area , same as last week , we will just put yhe guy who is currently Brazil’s right back there

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like Liverpool have a few defensive issues again https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46880117 Loads of defensive injuries now and with Milner potentially having to fill in at right back it could make them susceptible.

One of the reasons that I thought we should have kept Clyne, even for a few more weeks until the window closes.

We should have told him to look at options, but a good chance that it will only be at the end of the month and as long as Matip, lovren and Gomez are back, or at least 2 of them. I think sometimes Jurgen is too nice to our players in this respect,but they are our players and should only be let out on loan if we are in a position of strength.

D

Deleted member 1740

One of the reasons that I thought we should have kept Clyne, even for a few more weeks until the window closes.

We should have told him to look at options, but a good chance that it will only be at the end of the month and as long as Matip, lovren and Gomez are back, or at least 2 of them. I think sometimes Jurgen is too nice to our players in this respect,but they are our players and should only be let out on loan if we are in a position of strength.

What surprised me yesterday was right in the middle of a title chalenge Clyne actually asked klopp could he go out on loan.

That suggests to me that he hasnt got the appetite to be a team player.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Matip is back now , we have an 11 day break when Gomez and Lovren are expected to be back - we have cover for the area , same as last week , we will just put yhe guy who is currently Brazil’s right back there
Where does this 11 day gap come in. Home to Palace on Saturday and so is there a potential for a slip up here and dropping some points? I doubt it as Palace aren't the most attack minded and potent side but the BBC report indicates there is a defensive shortage for a few weeks to come and Matip is short of match fitness. If they pick up any more defensive knocks on Saturday or against Leicester this could escalate into a real problem for Klopp

D

Deleted member 15344

What surprised me yesterday was right in the middle of a title chalenge Clyne actually asked klopp could he go out on loan.

I think Clyne knew he was third choice when TAA was out and Klopp picked Milner instead , always liked Clyne - decent defender but going forward , not much and whilst he played well against the Mancs he didnt offer anything going forward - 1 or 2 games over the past 18 months and dont think he expect to play anymore. I dont think letting Clyne go is a major issue - manager has lots of options there

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Bit of a twist of logic. Perhaps the call of playing for Liverpool and winning a title would feel hollow to someone who knows he’d rarely play? Are you insulted someone would want to leave Liverpool?

Shouldn’t we applaud someone going somewhere to get games?

D

Deleted member 1740

Where does this 11 day gap come in. Home to Palace on Saturday and so is there a potential for a slip up here and dropping some points? I doubt it as Palace aren't the most attack minded and potent side but the BBC report indicates there is a defensive shortage for a few weeks to come and Matip is short of match fitness. If they pick up any more defensive knocks on Saturday or against Leicester this could escalate into a real problem for Klopp

in between Palace and Leicester

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
in between Palace and Leicester
OK, Makes sense. It still seems a worry that so many defenders are injured, carrying knocks or coming back from injury and so the Clyne decision, especially for a decent enough player, seems strange if only from a timing issue. I know (now) that there is a gap and a chance to let players recover but after that with CL games and a tricky away game at West Ham before United away, if several pick up knocks again, cover does seem pretty slim.

D

Deleted member 1740

Bit of a twist of logic. Perhaps the call of playing for Liverpool and winning a title would feel hollow to someone who knows he’d rarely play? Are you insulted someone would want to leave Liverpool?

Shouldn’t we applaud someone going somewhere to get games?

He's been out injured with a back problem for nearly 18months, he can't expect to come straight back in.

As for it feeling hollow, hes played many many games for liverpool and he's never been a bad egg so i dont agree with that point.

Why would i feel insulted?

I'm surprised that a player whose been injurèd for 18months has asked to go out on loan while the team hes at is in a real title challenge and still in europe.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's been out injured with a back problem for nearly 18months, he can't expect to come straight back in.

As for it feeling hollow, hes played many many games for liverpool and he's never been a bad egg so i dont agree with that point.

Why would i feel insulted?

I'm surprised that a player whose been injurèd for 18months has asked to go out on loan while the team hes at is in a real title challenge and still in europe.

If that player is likely going to be sat on a bench for the next 4 months then yes, it would feel hollow. History has shown that teams show little loyalty to players when they want rid, why expect it the other way around. Each side has to look after themselves. Clyne's priority is his own career. After a period of injury he needs to play again to get fit and for his own future.

The key question is not why Clyne asked to leave, I'm with him on that one, but why Liverpool allowed him to go. Criticise the club, not the player.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's anything strange about the Clyne situation at all. A player aged 27 who has only played 108 minutes of football this season is obviously going to ask for a move so he can play. He's gone from being second choice England full back to not being in the reckoning. Not much point in Liverpool forcing an unhappy player to stick around and sit on the bench either. They have adequate cover in Fabinho, who was always a right back by trade until recently, and Milner who can pretty much play anywhere. And Trent is only out for 3 weeks or something?

D

Deleted member 1740

If that player is likely going to be sat on a bench for the next 4 months then yes, it would feel hollow. History has shown that teams show little loyalty to players when they want rid, why expect it the other way around. Each side has to look after themselves. Clyne's priority is his own career. After a period of injury he needs to play again to get fit and for his own future.

The key question is not why Clyne asked to leave, I'm with him on that one, but why Liverpool allowed him to go. Criticise the club, not the player.

IMO Klopp has listened to Clyne and thought we've got TAA, Gomez, Fabinho and Milner who are all equally as good at RB and has granted clyne his permission to leave.

I dont think either Klopp or Clyne deserve to be criticised. It seems like its a amicable agreement. i wouldnt want Klopp to keep a unhappy squad player.

I'm just surprised a player would rather go and play for a mid table side than work and be ready to play in CL and a title challenge in case a situation arises like it has.

Will we miss Clyne?? No i don't think we will. Typical knee jerk reactions from some.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO Klopp has listened to Clyne and thought we've got TAA, Gomez, Fabinho and Milner who are all equally as good at RB and has granted clyne his permission to leave.

I dont think either Klopp or Clyne deserve to be criticised. It seems like its a amicable agreement. i wouldnt want Klopp to keep a unhappy squad player.

I'm just surprised a player would rather go and play for a mid table side than work and be ready to play in CL and a title challenge in case a situation arises like it has.

Will we miss Clyne?? No i don't think we will. Typical knee jerk reactions from some.
As I mentioned, look at it from an England perspective. Something like 3 years ago he was 2nd choice, competing with Walker. Now I'd say he's behind Walker, Trippier, Trent and even Wan-Bissaka. He has to be playing for that to change.

D

Deleted member 1740

As I mentioned, look at it from an England perspective. Something like 3 years ago he was 2nd choice, competing with Walker. Now I'd say he's behind Walker, Trippier, Trent and even Wan-Bissaka. He has to be playing for that to change.

Look at it from a clubs perspective, he's been handsomely paid for 18months whilst he's been injured and as soon as he's fit he wants to play, he's not that good to warrant dropping Trent.

All of those players at their best Clyne is still 4th choice IMO

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of those players at their best Clyne is still 4th choice IMO
That's why, in his eyes, he has to go. It makes sense. Ultimately if the club wanted to keep him until the summer they would.

Clyne could not gamble on a domino effect of injuries, he just saw he was 4th place and that was too many people in front of him.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Clyne knew he was third choice when TAA was out and Klopp picked Milner instead , always liked Clyne - decent defender but going forward , not much and whilst he played well against the Mancs he didnt offer anything going forward - 1 or 2 games over the past 18 months and dont think he expect to play anymore. I dont think letting Clyne go is a major issue - manager has lots of options there

He doesnt at the moment with Gomez and TAA being out, though.

Jurgen should have waited until the end of the window before MAYBE allowing him out on loan.

D

Deleted member 1740

That's why, in his eyes, he has to go. It makes sense. Ultimately if the club wanted to keep him until the summer they would.

Clyne could not gamble on a domino effect of injuries, he just saw he was 4th place and that was too many people in front of him.

I meant 4th choice for Ingurland.

IMO i'd have Clyne 2nd choice RB, i'd prefer Fabinho in CM but i'm sure klopp knows better than me and all of those internet warrior football managers.

D

Deleted member 1740

He doesnt at the moment with Gomez and TAA being out, though.

Jurgen should have waited until the end of the window before MAYBE allowing him out on loan.

Gomez is back for Leicester, so its only 1 game.