And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shame your own manager and player didnt say the same when Kompany did an identical tackle - little things eh
Except the ref only deemed it a yellow card. Cheap jibe imo

The issue would clearly seem to be as in a lot of these cases that there is no consistency and one referee is happy to let a tackle go as a caution and last night an almost identical incident is a red, clearly on the advice of others. Does that mean the ref in the Kompany one got no help at all from the other officials or was clear in his own mind it was only a yellow. Not sure VAR is going to help and these inconsistencies from match to match and ref to ref will continue. Frustrating when your side gets penalised as Wolves did and fine if you get away with it. Decisions for the big boys????????

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Except the ref only deemed it a yellow card. Cheap jibe imo

The issue would clearly seem to be as in a lot of these cases that there is no consistency and one referee is happy to let a tackle go as a caution and last night an almost identical incident is a red, clearly on the advice of others. Does that mean the ref in the Kompany one got no help at all from the other officials or was clear in his own mind it was only a yellow. Not sure VAR is going to help and these inconsistencies from match to match and ref to ref will continue. Frustrating when your side gets penalised as Wolves did and fine if you get away with it. Decisions for the big boys????????

Homer totally agree with you and it is something I have said before Bolys tackle of last night. Kompany has made challenges like that. Got away with them, had a yellow and had a red card. If I have to spell it out that there are inconsistencies with what Kompany has got " away with" and the way in which differant referees view said challenges. Well there is something wrong. My comment re Boly has apologised and the Wolves manager ghas said it was a red is nothing to do with having " the last word". It is to do with some people suggested on here it was not a red. That's it.
For the recordHomer and for your eyes only coz I know you will read this and others may find it apt not to. I thought Bolys tackle last night was a good old fashioned tackle. He played the ball, the timing was perfect. Unfortunately to the letter of the law, his feet were off the ground and he followed through on Silva.

Good neutral post Homer 😘

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer totally agree with you and it is something I have said before Bolys tackle of last night. Kompany has made challenges like that. Got away with them, had a yellow and had a red card. If I have to spell it out that there are inconsistencies with what Kompany has got " away with" and the way in which differant referees view said challenges. Well there is something wrong. My comment re Boly has apologised and the Wolves manager ghas said it was a red is nothing to do with having " the last word". It is to do with some people suggested on here it was not a red. That's it.
For the recordHomer and for your eyes only coz I know you will read this and others may find it apt not to. I thought Bolys tackle last night was a good old fashioned tackle. He played the ball, the timing was perfect. Unfortunately to the letter of the law, his feet were off the ground and he followed through on Silva.

Good neutral post Homer 😘
I thought it was a good old fashioned tackle as well and definitely played the ball first and the momentum took him into Silva and that from that point alone wasn't dangerous play. I've seen many more reckless tackles where there is far less contact made with the ball first and the player then continues into the attacking player with studs showing far more than last nights tackle that have only drawn a yellow. While the letter of the law is quite clear (in writing if not in collective interpretation by all referees) I have a certain degree of sympathy for the Boly challenge and the red card. I guess the bigger question is how to get that greater level of inconsistency week in and week out so that the Kompany, Boly and the next similar incident all get the same treatment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see Boly has apologised for last nights tackle and the Wolves manager has said it was a red card tackle.
I find that odd. I don't think it should have been a red. I understand the need to guard against dangerous tackles, but it is pretty much impossible to slide tackle with your studs flat on the floor. I hate to sound like the old cliché, but it really does seem like all slide tackles will be pretty much outlawed eventually. Already it seems that sliding someone who is directly in front of you is going to produce a foul and a card, since you can't make a tackle like that without some studs showing. You can only really slide in now if it's across someone's path from the side.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it was a good old fashioned tackle as well and definitely played the ball first and the momentum took him into Silva and that from that point alone wasn't dangerous play. I've seen many more reckless tackles where there is far less contact made with the ball first and the player then continues into the attacking player with studs showing far more than last nights tackle that have only drawn a yellow. While the letter of the law is quite clear (in writing if not in collective interpretation by all referees) I have a certain degree of sympathy for the Boly challenge and the red card. I guess the bigger question is how to get that greater level of inconsistency week in and week out so that the Kompany, Boly and the next similar incident all get the same treatment.
Good post , I honestly think it’s the reaction of the player sometimes.
Yes he has been caught but some of them look like they have lost a leg .
It’s the people who make the rules .
Look at City’s first goal Jesus is in a offside position when the ball is played to Sane , so the CB has no chance of getting back.
Under the old rule he is offside now he isn’t ,
All this second phase crap has made it worse imo.
In theory a striker could lean on the post for 90mins until the winger gets to the byline move out so the ball is played backward and score .

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Soon it will be a non contact sport, unless a player feels someone breathing on them in the box then cue a swan dive like they have been hit by a sniper........and EVERY team has players who do this.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to disagree with the "if he takes the ball it's not dangerous" opinion from hjs and others.

The tackle is no less dangerous if the ball is touched first or not. The laws have been specifically worded to try to eliminate tackles which have a decent chance of breaking someone's leg. What's not to like? Everyone knows what they are. Does anyone really think you should be able to wipe someone out just because you got a toe on the ball on the way through to a standing leg??

Just because it's inconsistently applied doesn't make it the end of football as we know it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that odd. I don't think it should have been a red. I understand the need to guard against dangerous tackles, but it is pretty much impossible to slide tackle with your studs flat on the floor. I hate to sound like the old cliché, but it really does seem like all slide tackles will be pretty much outlawed eventually. Already it seems that sliding someone who is directly in front of you is going to produce a foul and a card, since you can't make a tackle like that without some studs showing. You can only really slide in now if it's across someone's path from the side.
Yup, you've worked it out so surely a pro footballer, the coaching staff, manager etc with all of their know how and analysis could also come to this same conclusion.

We may not like it but this type of tackle is pretty much a no go. A bit like the swinging arms when jumping for a header, the free wallop of a striker or winger to 'let them know you are around', the high kick and a few other naughty tricks. The game has moved and players have to adapt and learn.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
VVD / Kompany / Delph/ Boly type challenge

I'd say this has only come into discussions since the VVD challenge in the Napoli game, it seems.

There have been challenges before where they have had excessive force in them and have mostly seen reds given (jumping into the challenge, two-footed, straight at the player) but one of the attributing factors has been the "angle of attack" IMO. When doing a sliding tackle, most have been done either from the side or not directly into the player.

At the match, I thought VVD's was clean as a whistle, but only only telly replays seen the "result" of the aftermath (following through onto the players shin). Kompanys was across the line of play but straight into salah. Boly's was straight at the ball but Silva come in from the side.Slight differences, but generally the same tackle.

Overall, I dont want to see the sliding tackle banned, unless excess force or EXCESS DANGER to an opponent. When you carry out a sliding tackle, you dont know if the other player will pull out, where he will put his leg etc. Like life nowadays, too many things are banned for what can happen 1% of the time. Injuries are part of the game, and I DONT want to see a non-contact sport, and you cant beat a good slide tackle.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to disagree with the "if he takes the ball it's not dangerous" opinion from hjs and others.

The tackle is no less dangerous if the ball is touched first or not. The laws have been specifically worded to try to eliminate tackles which have a decent chance of breaking someone's leg. What's not to like? Everyone knows what they are. Does anyone really think you should be able to wipe someone out just because you got a toe on the ball on the way through to a standing leg??

Just because it's inconsistently applied doesn't make it the end of football as we know it.
Agree generally, but I think Boly was unlucky. When I saw it it looked like Bernardo had ample chance to get out of the way as he knew he was second best anyway.

Yup, you've worked it out so surely a pro footballer, the coaching staff, manager etc with all of their know how and analysis could also come to this same conclusion.

We may not like it but this type of tackle is pretty much a no go. A bit like the swinging arms when jumping for a header, the free wallop of a striker or winger to 'let them know you are around', the high kick and a few other naughty tricks. The game has moved and players have to adapt and learn.
I agree in the cases of serial offenders such as Kompany. Ago though, I felt Boly was unlucky here as he looked the clear favourite to get the ball and wouldn't have felt like he was endangering an opponent at all.

As everyone always says though, we need consistency! The Kompany challenge on Salah was very similar to this one, possibly slightly worse, but the punishment isn't the same. That's the key it to really, players will risk these challenges while it's not 100% certain they'll be sent off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the key it to really, players will risk these challenges while it's not 100% certain they'll be sent off.

I would say the % probability is now about 80% though. That makes it a tackle worth avoiding. Just leave it out of the repertoire, particularly in areas of the field like last night where it was unnecessary.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
VVD / Kompany / Delph/ Boly type challenge

I'd say this has only come into discussions since the VVD challenge in the Napoli game, it seems.

There have been challenges before where they have had excessive force in them and have mostly seen reds given (jumping into the challenge, two-footed, straight at the player) but one of the attributing factors has been the "angle of attack" IMO. When doing a sliding tackle, most have been done either from the side or not directly into the player.

At the match, I thought VVD's was clean as a whistle, but only only telly replays seen the "result" of the aftermath (following through onto the players shin). Kompanys was across the line of play but straight into salah. Boly's was straight at the ball but Silva come in from the side.Slight differences, but generally the same tackle.

Overall, I dont want to see the sliding tackle banned, unless excess force or EXCESS DANGER to an opponent. When you carry out a sliding tackle, you dont know if the other player will pull out, where he will put his leg etc. Like life nowadays, too many things are banned for what can happen 1% of the time. Injuries are part of the game, and I DONT want to see a non-contact sport, and you cant beat a good slide tackle.
Agree with this .
I played CB and was always told never back out you will get hurt always hit him hard.
Times have changed for the worse .
The three tackles highlighted above all got up and carried on.
When was the last time someone did break a leg with a tackle like this ?
Gomez possibly but that could have been the ad board but I thought it was a fair tackle he quite clearly got the ball.

I think most managers will not be happy if their CB dosnt tackle because striker is in front of him!