And, we’re off.......2018/2019

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think your fondness may be ruling your head a little there, even as a winger now. He started as a striker and has scored less than 60 goals in 300 games, most of which are in league one or the championship. I mean, as you say the prem inst the be all, but that's quite a lot less than was expected of him.

Re Rice, my West Ham mates all rave about him, but i don't see quite the same media buzz for hi as other young English talent. That could be a good thing though tbf.

Not fond of sears at all I never rated him at West Ham however respect he has carved out a career for himself

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not fond of sears at all I never rated him at West Ham however respect he has carved out a career for himself

He did well for us. 28 goals in 91 appearances. A goal every three games (ish) is a pretty good return. He's a good goal scorer at League 1 level. Not convinced he's got enough quality for any higher than that. I think 29 goals in 157 games at Ipswich shows he's not quite good enough to be a club's main goal scorer at Championship level.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

My point was simply that players such as Sears were bigged up. Whilst he’s done well for himself. I certainly wouldn’t be using his career to prove a point of success.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My point was simply that players such as Sears were bigged up. Whilst he’s done well for himself. I certainly wouldn’t be using his career to prove a point of success.

Wasn’t myself who brought him into the discussion tho

Rice for me reminds me of carrick Without the passing though.. carricks passing was spot on

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a difference bewteen ending up like Sears though (a striker with a scoring record that would make look Shane long look decent) and predicting a player can end up and a top four club.

RE: the bit in bold - it seems as though each of Shane Long's last 4 goals have been scored for a different Southampton manager. That's a pretty unbelievable stat for a forward.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8179387/stat-shane-long-four-goals-four-bosses-southampton/

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
RE: the bit in bold - it seems as though each of Shane Long's last 4 goals have been scored for a different Southampton manager. That's a pretty unbelievable stat for a forward.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8179387/stat-shane-long-four-goals-four-bosses-southampton/

Only to those that don’t watch him. Last season half the clubs in the league had more managers than he had goals!

I’ve no problem with him playing as part of a 3 as his work rate is second to none. But when he’s up on his own he useless.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don't know if you saw his goal today but I wouldn't be surprised if they take it off him. To me it looked like he hit wide, and in Kasper's attempt at saving it it's kind of come off the inside off his thumb and gone in. Shane Long is a poor excuse for a striker. His work rate and battling are top notch, so you almost feel like he should have been playing midfield or wing back all this time really.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After that fantastic win yesterday I’m not sure what to make of the next run of fixtures

Bournemouth away
Wimbledon away (cup)
Wolves away
Liverpool home

I can actually see us staying in cup and winning maybe 1 of those 3.. Wolves and Bournemouth both very very tough away days

Liverpool no need to mention. They always tough to play

But 31 points on board after 22 games (48 points still to play for)

Nasri looks class linking up with Anderson

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a shocking dive by Vardy.
It was bad but sadly not surprising. Managers and pros excuse it so diving will continue. Can't remember if he was booked but I'd like to see a fine as well, irrespective of ths booking.

Felt for Fulham. That must have been a deflating journey home. At least, Fulham fans, they are giving it everything.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
It was bad but sadly not surprising. Managers and pros excuse it so diving will continue. Can't remember if he was booked but I'd like to see a fine as well, irrespective of ths booking.

Felt for Fulham. That must have been a deflating journey home. At least, Fulham fans, they are giving it everything.

He wasn’t booked for it. I’m sure they said on MOTD that as a penalty wasn’t awarded the FA can’t take retrospective action for deceiving the ref.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He wasn’t booked for it. I’m sure they said on MOTD that as a penalty wasn’t awarded the FA can’t take retrospective action for deceiving the ref.

Yes that's right he wasn't booked, stupid irrational rule, I can't see the logic in not retrospectively banning players for blatant diving.

Why wasn't Vardy booked for simulation?