And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting bigger question on this. Does football have head impact policies in place. Watched couple of head collisions between Nigeria players during the friendly at the weekend. I know they are different sports with different levels of impact but most head to head collisions in rugby would result in both players being taken off the pitch for a 10 minute assessment with reserves being allowed to take their place whilst this goes on. Maybe it is time for football to do the same.

That said, if the concussion was such that it impacted on a players ability then the player should have realised that something was not right.

I remember the Nigerian lads collision, it looked bad. You would have to assume that policies are not in place, certainly not ones that are as stringent as in rugby. Clubs may have their own way of dealing with it but it does not look like football has an industry wide standard in the way that rugby has introduced. It will come, what happens in rugby makes a great deal of sense. Football tends to be years behind other sports on rule changes and the like though.

I think it has been long established that players are not good judges of their own injuries when it comes to concussion. That is why it needs to be taken out of their hands.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember the Nigerian lads collision, it looked bad. You would have to assume that policies are not in place, certainly not ones that are as stringent as in rugby. Clubs may have their own way of dealing with it but it does not look like football has an industry wide standard in the way that rugby has introduced. It will come, what happens in rugby makes a great deal of sense. Football tends to be years behind other sports on rule changes and the like though.

I think it has been long established that players are not good judges of their own injuries when it comes to concussion. That is why it needs to be taken out of their hands.

Agreed and the sooner it is in place that a sub can be brought on whilst a player is assessed the better. I would think it would be hard for any player to voluntarily leave the field in a match as big as a champions league final and so the change has to be forced.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed and the sooner it is in place that a sub can be brought on whilst a player is assessed the better. I would think it would be hard for any player to voluntarily leave the field in a match as big as a champions league final and so the change has to be forced.

:thup:.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure if the 10min assessment would get through, but the FA/PL have changed the policy in the last couple of years were now the player loses the decision to stay on the field after a head injury.
lp is right in this one as it was immaterial at the time of the incident as he was not given access to the Liv med team.

The aftercare is a different discussion though.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if the 10min assessment would get through, but the FA/PL have changed the policy in the last couple of years were now the player loses the decision to stay on the field after a head injury.
lp is right in this one as it was immaterial at the time of the incident as he was not given access to the Liv med team.

The aftercare is a different discussion though.

Again, just to take another point from rugby, they have a doctor watching the match on a screen who can intervene if there is no action taken following a concerning blow to the head. OK, this has not always worked (George North) but a blow to the head is a blow to the head, whatever the sport, and action needs to be taken to ensure player safety.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again, just to take another point from rugby, they have a doctor watching the match on a screen who can intervene if there is no action taken following a concerning blow to the head. OK, this has not always worked (George North) but a blow to the head is a blow to the head, whatever the sport, and action needs to be taken to ensure player safety.

With VAR coming in maybe that might make a difference - Rugby though prob has a HIA in every game where as in football the clash of heads isn’t as regular so a player isn’t going to be subjected to blows on the head as often so I don’t see the ten min situation happening often.

The other person who also has a responsibility is the referee- if Karius has gone to him and said I have been hit the head then the referee possibly should have done something - demanded an assessment from the club doctor before allowing him to continue but the ref waved it away

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
With VAR coming in maybe that might make a difference - Rugby though prob has a HIA in every game where as in football the clash of heads isn’t as regular so a player isn’t going to be subjected to blows on the head as often so I don’t see the ten min situation happening often.

The other person who also has a responsibility is the referee- if Karius has gone to him and said I have been hit the head then the referee possibly should have done something - demanded an assessment from the club doctor before allowing him to continue but the ref waved it away

As matters are judged at the moment, there is not much need for HIA assessments but that does not mean that there need to be more. The number of incidents in rugby was far lower until the new rules and regulations came in.

D

Deleted member 16999

As others have said Football is way behind Rugby in a lot of ways.
I’ve no issue introducing a few of the ideas straight away, but believe powers to be and some in the media are resistant to change.

D

Deleted member 16999

Again, none of us know what Karius said to the Ref, he could of been asking for a red card for Ramos or saying he’s in pain etc.
Unfortunately the players have to take responsibility for their actions and reactions.

It was certainly a red card for me regardless of how much impact, intent was enough and regardless of how much contact VVD made.

D

Deleted member 16999

A red card for Ramos?

It should have been a penalty to Real because VVD pushed Ramos into Karius!
VVD lent into Ramos as it happens all over the field, the force was no way near enough to force his elbow upwards and into Karius or to warrant a penalty.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sergio take on all things CLF.....

: "All I'm missing is for Firmino to say he got a cold because a bead of my sweat landed on him"
en.as.com/en/2018/06/05/…

:rofl:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Rui Patricio to Wolves almost done. Would be an outstanding signing for us, hopefully get it over the line by the end of the week.

Also, Villa missed a tax payment last week. Shame.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

With it being football and win at all costs I can see it being abused by managers who have made their 3 subs and want to change something else telling a player to go down with a head injury and bringing on another sub.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
This is a very good twitter thread on the Karius incident

Also shows he wasn’t treated on the pitch and he informed the ref about the elbow

https://mobile.twitter.com/scienceofsport/status/1003861289200910336

Very good because it’s what you want to hear :whistle:

So Karius mistakes were due to concussion.
You thought he’d been playing very well recently.
So no need for an upgrade then?

When Flopp signs a new stopper I’m sure you’ll be telling us how great he is & a massive upgrade on Karius & Ming.