And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not sure it’s a question of hard work as such, more that his ego needs a massage and that’s not Mourinho style.Doesn’t mean he’ll destroy all the top four teams this season, but I’d expect him to perform better in the big games now he’s the man.

A club shouldn’t have to “massage an ego” though - the manager is the guy who takes the fall and the players at the very least should show respect and ensure they put every ounce of effort into every game even if they don’t agree with the tactics or the personality of the manager -

if they don’t like that then they ask to leave but it’s clear that Pogba seems to be only willing to put a shift in when he wants to not when the team needs him too, they get paid a lot of money and the very least the fans should expect is the players full effort and hard work on the pitch. Watching Pogba now as Manc Fan must be really infuriating - where was this player for the first half of the season.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
A club shouldn’t have to “massage an ego” though - the manager is the guy who takes the fall and the players at the very least should show respect and ensure they put every ounce of effort into every game even if they don’t agree with the tactics or the personality of the manager -

if they don’t like that then they ask to leave but it’s clear that Pogba seems to be only willing to put a shift in when he wants to not when the team needs him too, they get paid a lot of money and the very least the fans should expect is the players full effort and hard work on the pitch. Watching Pogba now as Manc Fan must be really infuriating - where was this player for the first half of the season.

The same could be said about a lot of the UTD players tbf. We’ve all heard the phrase “he lost the dressing room”, or pundits talk about how a new manager brings a fresh buzz to a team. I recall how poor hazard was in Mourinhos last season at Chelsea.

In this day and age, the players have the edge, fans may not like it, but the pogba currently on show is worth the effort. Rumours have floated about for years about Messi and Ronaldo having a say on transfers at their clubs too. I’m not for one second putting pogba in their bracket, but I’m not sure many fans wouldn’t want them at their clubs irrespective of any clauses they may want.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Roy Keane would never have let it get like it had in the first place.
It’s so obvious Jose stifled him,and the team.

Is the correct answer.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jags vs Texans on now mate 👍

As a Manc fan you would have serious questions about Pogba and his attitude - he is all smiles and stupid dances when it’s easy for him but where was he when the fans and team wanted to see hard work and grit and determination. Could you trust him as a player - I wouldn’t want him near the team no matter how talented he is.

I want to see the best footballers at OT, and sadly he's one of them. I hate his ego, but, on his day, he's a great footballer. Build a team around him with 3 quick forward players (I think LB said thr same) and we're dangerous. Even more so if we could tighten up at the back. Lots have asked can he do it against the big teams.... He has, once before when he scored 2 of the 3 last year to come back and beat City 3-2. Then Jose went back to defensive ways having him infront of the back 4 as opposed to behind the strikers. Jose stifled him, Martial and Rashford. It was a running joke that the sub each week was either Rashford for martial, or martial for Rashford. Imagine a front three of martial, Rashford and Sanchez...

I'm under no illusion about this team.... we're still not close to city, Liverpool and spurs, but if we're attacking and winning with Pogba in the team then he has to stay.

D

Deleted member 15344

I want to see the best footballers at OT, and sadly he's one of them. I hate his ego, but, on his day, he's a great footballer. Build a team around him with 3 quick forward players (I think LB said thr same) and we're dangerous. Even more so if we could tighten up at the back. Lots have asked can he do it against the big teams.... He has, once before when he scored 2 of the 3 last year to come back and beat City 3-2. Then Jose went back to defensive ways having him infront of the back 4 as opposed to behind the strikers. Jose stifled him, Martial and Rashford. It was a running joke that the sub each week was either Rashford for martial, or martial for Rashford.

I'm under no illusion about this team.... we're still not close to city, Liverpool and spurs, but if we're attacking and winning with Pogba in the team then he has to stay.

I have said a number of times the worst thing for UTD was getting Lukaku - a front three of Rashford , Sanchez and Martial would scare many teams and then put Pogba in a free type role behind - he looks good today when he has the space and the freedom because he is being allowed that space

but Its the Prem and a lot of times players need to dig in and work hard to create space and battle - City , Spurs etc have talented players like Pogba but they are also able to fight and work when needed even if the tactics are the best for the player. Would you feel that Pogba would roll his socks up and get stuck in when it’s a nil nil and it’s a right battle he needs to work hard - I’m not sure if you can trust him to be that player ?

And is that not a penalty for the high boot ?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The same could be said about a lot of the UTD players tbf. We’ve all heard the phrase “he lost the dressing room”, or pundits talk about how a new manager brings a fresh buzz to a team. I recall how poor hazard was in Mourinhos last season at Chelsea.

In this day and age, the players have the edge, fans may not like it, but the pogba currently on show is worth the effort. Rumours have floated about for years about Messi and Ronaldo having a say on transfers at their clubs too. I’m not for one second putting pogba in their bracket, but I’m not sure many fans wouldn’t want them at their clubs irrespective of any clauses they may want.

I recall a similar thing at Newcastle when Gullit was manager. You could see a certain Mr Shearer wasn't happy, both in body language and surprisingly his attitude on the pitch.
Then came along Sir Bobby, and ALL change.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have said a number of times the worst thing for UTD was getting Lukaku - a front three of Rashford , Sanchez and Martial would scare many teams and then put Pogba in a free type role behind - he looks good today when he has the space and the freedom because he is being allowed that space

but Its the Prem and a lot of times players need to dig in and work hard to create space and battle - City , Spurs etc have talented players like Pogba but they are also able to fight and work when needed even if the tactics are the best for the player. Would you feel that Pogba would roll his socks up and get stuck in when it’s a nil nil and it’s a right battle he needs to work hard - I’m not sure if you can trust him to be that player ?

I think he can with the right man manager and team around him. That's what good managers should do. Jose put his own ego first.

I'll judge the team in Feb / March though when we play PSG twice, Citeh, Liverpool and Arsenal. As long as we have a go then I'll be happy.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes penalty and offside Lukaku.

For someone who has played the game at a decent level good players make space and make the game look easy.
Scholes was the best at it,no pace,couldn’t tackle but was world class for creating time on the ball.
That’s the difference between a top player and an average one.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think he can with the right man manager and team around him. That's what good managers should do. Jose put his own ego first.

I'll judge the team in Feb / March though when we play PSG twice, Citeh, Liverpool and Arsenal. As long as we have a go then I'll be happy.
Shows the quality of a Club when they can 'patch-up' problems so.so quickly...… sending tremors on both sides of the Pennines..... sorry, London don't really count!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

In that case, for a number of times you have been wrong.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did think once again our central pairing didn’t gel.
Bailly getting sent off is a loss,if it was Lindelof it would have been better.
I think playing that way against a top attacking team would be a disaster.
Hopefully and time will tell wether we can play differently,the Spurs game could tell us.

Really looking forward to Thursdays game now,maybe the title decider.

D

Deleted member 15344

In that case, for a number of times you have been wrong.

Do you really think Lukaku is a better fit than a front three of Rashford/Martial/Lingard or Martial ?

Lukaku stifles any quick attacks , his movement is awful and top class defenders easily mark him out of the game - opposition defenders would prefer to play against and mark him as opposed to Rashford and Martial - I will be delighted if you keep playing Lukaku through the middle.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do you really think Lukaku is a better fit than a front three of Rashford/Martial/Lingard or Martial ?

Lukaku stifles any quick attacks , his movement is awful and top class defenders easily mark him out of the game - opposition defenders would prefer to play against and mark him as opposed to Rashford and Martial - I will be delighted if you keep playing Lukaku through the middle.

The Prem Stats data makes interesting reading. When you look at goals scored, minutes on the pitch, shooting accuracy, etc Martial comes out top, with Lukaku close behind, more or less on a par with Rashford. Lingard has the poorest stats of the 4 players.

Who do you think defenders would want to mark? A headless chicken like Lingard or a player whose stats are on a par with Martial and Rashford? Lets remember, the defenders job is to stop attackers from scoring.

Now if Sanchez was on form I'd bench Lukaku and sell Lingard. Lukaku gives you more goals than Lingard, and he also gives you a different style should it be needed. Lingard is 26 now yet still looks like he needs to improve/mature... I think he's peaked, and what you see is what you get - didn't you criticise Lingard's choice for the World Cup, saying he's nowhere near good enough. I'll agree with you on that one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could Ranieri have just subbed Kamara before the pen? :unsure: (Genuinely don't know if the rules allow it.)
Having read a number of press reports and seen different things on social media, I think Kamara has seriously over stepped the mark and behind the scenes Ranieiri is not happy and there is talk about farming him out as he's a disruptive influence. He's definitely a loose cannon and already this season on a caution he's got involved in situations where he could easily have got a second yellow

On a separate note what a different player Pogba seems again under a new manager. Was it really Mourinho suppressing him or did he simply not put it in when he was on the pitch? I think Lukaku is best employed as he was today as an impact player off the bench. Not so easy for tired defences to mark him and he can bring others into the game with the knock downs. I think he has a place at Old Trafford, even as a starter but he's one of those that that you have to play against a certain style of opposition.

I really can't wait until the big City v Liverpool clash. For the sake of the PL title race it needs a City win. A Liverpool win and it's all over I think (and would be aptly deserved).

D

Deleted member 15344

The Prem Stats data makes interesting reading. When you look at goals scored, minutes on the pitch, shooting accuracy, etc Martial comes out top, with Lukaku close behind, more or less on a par with Rashford. Lingard has the poorest stats of the 4 players.

Who do you think defenders would want to mark? A headless chicken like Lingard or a player whose stats are on a par with Martial and Rashford? Lets remember, the defenders job is to stop attackers from scoring.

Now if Sanchez was on form I'd bench Lukaku and sell Lingard. Lukaku gives you more goals than Lingard, and he also gives you a different style should it be needed. Lingard is 26 now yet still looks like he needs to improve/mature... I think he's peaked, and what you see is what you get - didn't you criticise Lingard's choice for the World Cup, saying he's nowhere near good enough. I'll agree with you on that one.

I do believe Lingard is overrated - I don’t see a top international footballer there but he seems to have pace and a knack of popping up at the right time to score a goal

One thing to note about Martial and Rashfords “stats” ( don’t really look at them because they don’t paint a whole picture ) is how many of those games are as the main striker ? It seems from when I have watched them - when Lukaku plays he is central and that’s it , Rashford and Martial are both shunted out wide ( especially Rashford ) like the way Mourinho played at Chelsea with Drogba. Now imo is you had Rashford central with Martial and Sanchez supporting but all three able to interchange that imo would be a defenders nightmare and a front three to be feared.

Lukaku scores goals - yep , he also goes through long dry spells and doesn’t seem to score big goals , the goals seem to be say the 2nd or 3rd in a 3 nil and he also seems to score in batches of twos which whilst give him good stats on paper actually mean a bit of a flat track bully ( which I have always thought about him )

I can see a new manager getting rid of him and bringing in someone like Greizmann for example

This is funny though

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

Having read a number of press reports and seen different things on social media, I think Kamara has seriously over stepped the mark and behind the scenes Ranieiri is not happy and there is talk about farming him out as he's a disruptive influence. He's definitely a loose cannon and already this season on a caution he's got involved in situations where he could easily have got a second yellow

On a separate note what a different player Pogba seems again under a new manager. Was it really Mourinho suppressing him or did he simply not put it in when he was on the pitch? I think Lukaku is best employed as he was today as an impact player off the bench. Not so easy for tired defences to mark him and he can bring others into the game with the knock downs. I think he has a place at Old Trafford, even as a starter but he's one of those that that you have to play against a certain style of opposition.

I really can't wait until the big City v Liverpool clash. For the sake of the PL title race it needs a City win. A Liverpool win and it's all over I think (and would be aptly deserved).

He cost them nearly £90m , I’d expect more than an impact player for that sort of money.

Fwiw, I don’t rate him and I think his level is a mid table side like Everton.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

He's not even close and he'll be further behind when Sanchez is fit again.
I'm not Lukaku's greatest fan, that's for sure.
My point was that buying Lukaku was nowhere near the worst thing United have done ......................... nowhere near.

Seeing the way United have played recently, I'm sure that one really good centre back would make a world of difference.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
#obssesed Liverpool fans lol ( hey Pete).

Lingard is pivotal for Utd his link up play and support play is fantastic,he’s also very very fit and is always moving,very hard to pick up.

I think we might see a new Lukaku under Solskjaer because his place is definitely under threat.
If we defend like we have and today we will always need to score one more than the opposition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He cost them nearly £90m , I’d expect more than an impact player for that sort of money.

Fwiw, I don’t rate him and I think his level is a mid table side like Everton.
And I agree with you but having shelled out that money, you have to get the best out of him and at the moment as an impact player seems to be the best way of doing it. I definitely agree that he's a little out of his depth at this level and better suited to an Everton or similar but you can't blame them for hiking the price as high as possible and taking the cash United threw at the player. Having said that 45 goals in 79 internationals is an impressive record so Belgium get the best from him (and I'd love Sterling to have a fraction of that return but that's just my opinion)