And, we’re off.......2018/2019

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant defend wont defend, same old story. Fair play to Liverpool theyve taken their chances but theyre coming wrapped in a bow. Xhaka lucky not to walk for being a brainless idiot and Sokratis wants to argue its not a penalty when hes had 3 goes at Salah from behind.

Serious need of new personnel and a new defensive coach if were to make any progress. Whats worse is weve actually picked a defensive team and still shipped 4 goals, much rather see us pick an attacking side and have a go, were going to concede either way

For all the decent results Emery got very little in the credit column bar the Torreira signing and the obvious improvement in attitude (at least short term). Be interesting to see what happens in January, do one or both of Ramsey and Ozil go, and do we actually manage to buy a defender who can defend

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could be two more in this for Liverpool. Mustafi comes back and you concede 4 in a half, it all adds up.

bit harsh to blame the worst culprit amongst several :) he is terrible but hes not alone to blame. hard to believe a certain defensive coach still has a job with us conceding 1.5 goals a game on average

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
bit harsh to blame the worst culprit amongst several :) he is terrible but hes not alone to blame. hard to believe a certain defensive coach still has a job with us conceding 1.5 goals a game on average
Haha, not blaming him squarely I just think he hardly inspires confidence in his teammates. Not many Gooners would be happy to see his name on the teamsheet I wouldn't have thought. Emery surely has to bring someone in next month.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha, not blaming him squarely I just think he hardly inspires confidence in his teammates. Not many Gooners would be happy to see his name on the teamsheet I wouldn't have thought. Emery surely has to bring someone in next month.

youd hope so, its hard considering we havent had a single defender available consistently all season, Monreal and Koscielny the biggest misses but hard to get them playing as a unit when they chop between 4 and 5 at the back and change personnel every week, so far I think we have used 12 diff players in defense before xmas!

the worry is that its the same old mistakes and doesnt actually appear to be any change in approach, its just been covered that weve scored enough at the other end, mainly thanks to Aubameyang

ideally we buy 2 centre halves and a versatile full back in january, in reality one decent centre half would be great :)

edit: pens only at one end it seems

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I think at times we didn’t play great but front three were lively, Clyne was silly and should have been a pen - was a bit worried about Augbemyang - he had 10 touches - 6 from kick offs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's how champions get it done. Really impressive and while Arsenal didn't help themselves with the defending I think Klopp has Liverpool perfectly assembled at the moment and more importantly think he can tweak them to be more solid in midfield if needed. I really don't think they need to buy in January and really can't see beyond them for the title.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Roll on Thursday. Proper excited for City-Liverpool, could really shape the direction of the title race. Liverpool could have a huge lead. City need to win tomorrow first though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Roll on Thursday. Proper excited for City-Liverpool, could really shape the direction of the title race. Liverpool could have a huge lead. City need to win tomorrow first though.
That could be the trouble. I was talking to a City fan today and and he fears it as a potential banana skin as Southampton will be desperate for points. I think City should have too much class (so that'll be a scrappy 1-0 City win). On the plus side the might Fulham have another win (although what was Kamara doing with that penalty?) and is it now a good time to be playing Arsenal next? Only a point behind Southampton (so I'm praying for a City demolition job) which means we could be out of the relegation zone with a win (OK maybe not). Need Cardiff and Newcastle to lose their next game to keep it tight down there. The FA cup an unwanted distraction

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Serious need of new personnel and a new defensive coach if were to make any progress. Whats worse is weve actually picked a defensive team and still shipped 4 goals, much rather see us pick an attacking side and have a go, were going to concede either way

To be fair Emery picked pretty much the only team he could. The unbeaten run certainly masked the state of the squad he was left.

Will have taken Klopp 4 years to build a squad to win silverware, can see it taking the same if not longer for Emery.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just the 5 goals for Spurs this time then, we must have eased off. :D Second place with half the season gone looks rather nice. Just a shame about Liverpool winning the league really.

That Salah dive was pretty embarrassing. The feller just barely stroked his arm and he went flying. I'm usually happy with players going down under a poor challenge or contact that impedes them, but I'm not even certain that was enough contact to be considered a foul. He's done the job for his team though, that's football I guess.

What did you think of Kane’s today ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be fair Emery picked pretty much the only team he could. The unbeaten run certainly masked the state of the squad he was left.

Will have taken Klopp 4 years to build a squad to win silverware, can see it taking the same if not longer for Emery.

why couldnt he pick Lacazette and play 2 up top?

agree re the squad but his initial purchases Torreira aside arent setting the world on fire

id be keeping monreal, kolasinac, bellerin, maitland niles, smith rowe, torreira, ramsey, guendozi, mhikitaryan, aubameyang, lacazette, smith rowe, nketiah. jury still out on leno and mavropanos. dont think ive missed anyone else so the rest can go

leaves a shopping list for plenty of defenders and some width as the 2 main priorities, may need a keeper too, then some creativity from midfield

D

Deleted member 15344

why couldnt he pick Lacazette and play 2 up top?

agree re the squad but his initial purchases Torreira aside arent setting the world on fire

id be keeping monreal, kolasinac, bellerin, maitland niles, smith rowe, torreira, ramsey, guendozi, mhikitaryan, aubameyang, lacazette, smith rowe, nketiah. jury still out on leno and mavropanos. dont think ive missed anyone else so the rest can go

leaves a shopping list for plenty of defenders and some width as the 2 main priorities, may need a keeper too, then some creativity from midfield

Gendozi looks a good player - was surprised not to see him play today