And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d just be happy to know the genuine reason, ie, is it for weather? Or players are tired? etc.

It says player tiredness but, we’ve had snow and ice anytime from Nov to April in the last 10 years up here in the North East, if they take a break in Jan and the snow arrives in March is it not going to create a fixture backlog and more pressure on the players.

Must be player fatigue. Fixtures at PL level rarely get cancelled now due to snow and if they do it is only because of issues outside of the ground. The snow does not come at the same time every year, it is not predictable in England and Wales.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or a view of the same incident from someone without Liverpool tinted glasses.....

Salah grabs hold of Ramos and initiates the incident. Ramos responds by holding Salah's arm. If we're going to get into the finer details, Salah commits the first offence when he grabs Ramos. Therefore the free kick should have gone to Madrid.

Phil can spin any situation though.

Does anyone honestly think Salah is seriously injured and going to miss the WC.
Watching him this morning walking through the airport tells me its all plating out for the media attention, could be wrong but from someone who has done his shoulder on many occasions I had a sling on for days after

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t see the reason or need for it ,

Clubs will use it to go abroad and play some meaningless money spinning friendly.
It says right there in the article that they have agreed not to. Many managers have been campaigning for a winter break in England, would be a bit weird if they then fielded teams in friendlies while it was happening.

D

Deleted member 15344

It says right there in the article that they have agreed not to. Many managers have been campaigning for a winter break in England, would be a bit weird if they then fielded teams in friendlies while it was happening.

As soon as one club gets offered a lot of money then it will happen , there will be nothing stopping them regardless of what a manager says.

You can see it - Man Utd and Barcelona just happen to be having winter training in Dubai , well we might as well have a little friendly - Prem League can see the rights on telly and Dubai pay the clubs a couple of million - done.

Clubs have been playing through Jan for decades and decades along with all the other comps and it’s been fine

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought that the purpose of a squad was not only to cover injury but also to allow teams to rest players. Surely with the squad sizes that clubs have it would be perfectly possible to give every player some time off throughout the season without the need for a designated break.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand the idea if I'm honest, it just means they've got to squeeze 38 league games, the FA and league cups and any European football into less time.
It's only one extra week if I've understood correctly. Clubs will get one weekend off, which amounts to 13 days without a game if you measure Saturday to Saturday. FA have agreed to move FA Cup 5th round to mid-week to accommodate an extra Saturday as well.

D

Deleted member 16999

The foreign managers were the first to moan about winter breaks followed by Allardyce when he did the England job for a few weeks.
Personally I’d rather the PL and Sky supported the teams playing in Europe by not making some of them kick off at stupid times and play on the sunday before the midweek fixtures.
The PL are supporting this then mess teams about to suit TV.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First chance I had to speak to my scouse brother-in- law and he's worse than some on hear for being bias,anyway he puts the blame on the defeat firmly on Klopp saying everyone knew for 2/3 seasons that a new goalie was a top priority and nothing was done.

D

Deleted member 1740

First chance I had to speak to my scouse brother-in- law and he's worse than some on hear for being bias,anyway he puts the blame on the defeat firmly on Klopp saying everyone knew for 2/3 seasons that a new goalie was a top priority and nothing was done.

Thats not true, something was done.

Klopp bought Karius 2 summers ago.

The one thing some fans seem to forget he only cost us £5m, World class keepers cost 10x more at least.

Klopp has, rightly or wrongly, shown immemse faith in Karius but has been let down. To blame klopp for losing the final is madness IMO.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The one thing some fans seem to forget he only cost us £5m, World class keepers cost 10x more at least.

Klopp has, rightly or wrongly, shown immemse faith in Karius but has been let down. To blame klopp for losing the final is madness IMO.

Hey just passing on a fellow reds take on it:thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is it wrong to blame Klopp for losing the final? I've highlighted the key part of your post. Klopp bought Karius. He didn't inherit him from a previous manager. The fee is largely irrelevant as Klopp bought him and must have thought he was or could be good enough for Liverpool. The fact that Karius was in goal for the final is down to Klopp and no-one else. Therefore it's Klopp's fault that Karius was in goal to make those mistakes.

D

Deleted member 1740

Is it wrong to blame Klopp for losing the final? I've highlighted the key part of your post. Klopp bought Karius. He didn't inherit him from a previous manager. The fee is largely irrelevant as Klopp bought him and must have thought he was or could be good enough for Liverpool. The fact that Karius was in goal for the final is down to Klopp and no-one else. Therefore it's Klopp's fault that Karius was in goal to make those mistakes.

How would he know if he wasn’t given a fair chance??

To a point Klopp takes the blame for every signing, good ones and bad ones. Karius has improved under Klopp and has had some decent games since Christmas. Klopp has shown huge faith in Karius and for my money Karius has let him down.

To solely blame Klopp is madness IMO.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How would he know if he wasn’t given a fair chance??

To a point Klopp takes the blame for every signing, good ones and bad ones. Karius has improved under Klopp and has had some decent games since Christmas. Klopp has shown huge faith in Karius and for my money Karius has let him down.

To solely blame Klopp is madness IMO.

You've previously said that at top quality keeper costs 10 times the fee that Karius cost which surely gives an indication of the player's ability.

If the manager has the final say on transfers (I have no idea if Klopp does at Liverpool or not) then he takes full blame for the signings not just "to a point". It doesn't matter if Karius has improved under Klopp he clearly wasn't good enough when he needed to be.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Klopp is solely to blame for the loss but he does have to take some of the blame.