And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fancy league winners being seeded higher than those who finished beneath them. What sort of cock eyed system is that?

City have gone, semi final, last 16, q/final in the last 3 years. Bayern are in and around the q/f, semi's most years. Juventus the same, all league winners. The seedings have it right.

PB - As a Utd fan would you ship Sanchez out now and use the money for Bale? Bale would enhance any team and the mood music is for Utd. I can't see that you can fit everyone in the starting 11 so some big names will have to go. Sanchez has not fitted it yet so that would make sense to me. Would you disagree? Would you rather keep Sanchez and hope pre season sorts him out?

Sanchez hasn't even had a full season at Utd yet, do you not think players need time to settle in, do you judge players inside 6 months and get rid that quickly? especially when the team/squad is so unsettled across the board?

OK, there are strong rumblings he's not liked across the team/squad, but then there are so many players at Utd that don't look settled on or off the park that the whole place is an unsettled ship, should they all go?!

and then after reading or analyzing all that, they finished 2nd ffs!

Will 1 player of Bales ability change everything or anything across the park at Utd, no, so what's the use in shipping out Sanchez for Bale, he'd still be surrounded by inconsistent dross at times, and personally, I don't think Bale could be managed effectively by Jose, but that's a whole different angle and scenario.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bale, in my opinion, ain't going anywhere...
Unless, of course, Real choose to ship him out 'cheap'...
Half a million a week [allegedly] for 'bench warming' isn't that bad in the scheme of life...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I mentioned Sanchez as he is on major money and that could just be moved sideways to Bale. Different to Rashford or Lingard for example, if you sold one of them then their release of wages will barely make a dent in those paid out to Bale. I also did not expect Sanchez to need time to settle, he has been in the PL for a few years now so no English adjustment required.

If Bale was not up for grabs I would agree with you, let Sanchez have pre season and come back stronger, but Bale is a special player and I think he can elevate Utd to another level. It seems the obvious in / out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would 100% keep Sanchez he will be fine,he has took longer to settle than expected.
Would get rid of Jose first I can't stand his football

You are not alone amongst Utd fans but Jose is stopping for one more year at least. He gives out pretty strong signals when he wants out, goes into destruct mode, and he has not pressed that button yet.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think a lot of the movement of people like Bale will depend on Neymar - if he moves and I have a feeling he will then I can see it involving both Ronaldo and Benzema , which would solve one of the main issues that Bale has ( issues with Ronaldo ) .

The Neymar transfer is going to be massive during the summer - going to cost Madrid a decent sum plus a couple of players but it will solve a lot of people’s issues. The one stumbling block will be Ronaldo and if he wants to go to PSG

I think only City and Utd can really afford to get Bale and even then I’m not sure if they would pay the amount needed especially in wages

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I also did not expect Sanchez to need time to settle, he has been in the PL for a few years now so no English adjustment required

I personally don't agree with this, the relationships between other strikers, midfielders will all take time to adjust to, then you'll have different tactics/formations from what he was used to at Arsenal to that of Utd, then on top of that his actual role and expectancy from the different managers, in that, is one happy for you to just do your job/role as a striker or in Jose's case, get back and cover and run yer ass off across the park and always be the first defender also.

He was signed in January, it's only May! He could go somewhere else more suited to him and come back to haunt that decision, how many times have teams experienced that just lately and over the years?

I think Utd need some stability, yes they need a tweak here & there, but stability will/should bring confidence and form and then be a much bigger threat.

I personally hope that carry on being unsettled, both on and off the park, and I think that will be the case as long as Jose is at the helm.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally don't agree with this, the relationships between other strikers, midfielders will all take time to adjust to, then you'll have different tactics/formations from what he was used to at Arsenal to that of Utd, then on top of that his actual role and expectancy from the different managers, in that, is one happy for you to just do your job/role as a striker or in Jose's case, get back and cover and run yer ass off across the park and always be the first defender also.

He was signed in January, it's only May! He could go somewhere else more suited to him and come back to haunt that decision, how many times have teams experienced that just lately and over the years?

I think Utd need some stability, yes they need a tweak here & there, but stability will/should bring confidence and form and then be a much bigger threat.

I personally hope that carry on being unsettled, both on and off the park, and I think that will be the case as long as Jose is at the helm.

Possible swap on with Bale and Hazard, Real have made no secret of liking Hazard. If you are going to lose Hazard, no certainty in that at all of course, then that would be a great fall back for Chelsea. Would you take that?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too many pages for me to catch up on, but I must say that final couldn't have gone any better. I actually thought Liverpool were playing well, didn't let Real settle, but they needed to then score in the first half hour. Once Salah cried off with his hurty shoulder, and they went in 0-0 at half time they had very little chance of winning the game. Not to mention having a comedian instead of a goalkeeper. I was watching with two Liverpool fans but I was in tears of laughter after that first goal. The last one was just cringeworthy. Bale's overhead kick though, wow. Best Champs League final goal of all time.

I thought it was awful by the way that no Liverpool player consoled Karius at the final whistle (unless the cameras missed it somehow). The lad was crying and it was Bale who went to put an arm round him! Nothing from captain Henderson or any of the others? Pretty poor.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Possible swap on with Bale and Hazard, Real have made no secret of liking Hazard. If you are going to lose Hazard, no certainty in that at all of course, then that would be a great fall back for Chelsea. Would you take that?
I don't see Bale going to Chavski to play Europa League footy personally.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The fact that Bale is a sick note is surely a point to aid negotiation for anyone who is interested in him. Phenomenal player but if he can’t get on the pitch, he can’t do his magic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fact that Bale is a sick note is surely a point to aid negotiation for anyone who is interested in him. Phenomenal player but if he can’t get on the pitch, he can’t do his magic.
He never had that problem at Spurs though, he was usually fit for us. Was just between 2015 and 2017 he had problems I think. Maybe he's past that now. He has been fit this season, just unable to get Isco/Benzema out of the team.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d be in for Bale but I think a lot depends on Real looking at Neymar, a CR7/Neymar part ex plus 100m from Bale would go through IMO.
Does JM prefer Bale or Willian?

PD: As to next season can we keep progressing yes, defeats against Huddersfield WBA Newcastle and Brighton suggest yes more points can be achieved. Can we concede less goals of course.
Can we score more goals well thats the big question? Newly installed coaching staff may help.
This season though disappointing not winning anything was not completely diastorous a poor exit to Seville in CL
aside, ( not because losing to Seville but it was more about the way went out without too much of a fight).
1/4 final league cup highlight weakness in squad players Blind Darmian should be gone, Fellaini too.
Carrick Ibra too.
Can City reproduce there record breaking season I personally doubt it so overall we will be in the mix.
Who actually had a better season other than City? Chelsea arguably spurs no Liverpool no arsenal no
So we are well set to challenge.
IMO Style of football nonsense is all media generated hype, yes it’s nice to be entertained but win a trophy with a boring 1-0 or lose 5-4? I know which I prefer!

D

Deleted member 16999

If, and it’s a big if, Utd did beat City to the title next season would Jose be a hero regardless of style of play? Of course he would.
I think I put it on the other thread, but only 3 Clubs improved on their league position last year and that was City, Utd and Burnley (excluding promoted Clubs) I think the top 6 is probably set for the next 3-5 years with the odd team pushing from 7th, I agree City may not have it all their own way next year, but that has to be down to other clubs raising their game.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We haven’t spent the Coutinho Money , manager and club said that many times - it’s still there to spend

Not according to Sky reports/news, it's all gone now on VVD, Keita and now Fabinho, leaving a nett spend of £25m from the £146m for Coutinho.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not according to Sky reports/news, it's all gone now on VVD, Keita and now Fabinho, leaving a nett spend of £25m from the £146m for Coutinho.

The crucial part was the first sentancs - “According to Sky News “ - unless I’m mistaken they don’t deal with the finances of the club , there are reports of players like Fekir and others coming in to a spend of £150 mil in the summer. People can report as much as they want - the club and manager have said the Coutinho Money is there to spend and Kieta and VVD were two purchases independent of the Coutinho sale

But ultimately as long as the right players are been bought and the club is not being put at financial risk or backed by one person then I don’t really care - what difference does it make. The main aim is to get the squad strong enough to compete on as many levels as possible - at this stage Liverpool have already strengthened two weak areas - all good news

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is no one going to mention the elephant in the room here. After Wenger left Sawtooth has disappeared. After Saturday StuC and Liverbirdie and not been heard of. Are these lads being picked off?

Put out a call, we need to locate and bring them back.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The crucial part was the first sentancs - “According to Sky News “ - unless I’m mistaken they don’t deal with the finances of the club , there are reports of players like Fekir and others coming in to a spend of £150 mil in the summer. People can report as much as they want - the club and manager have said the Coutinho Money is there to spend and Kieta and VVD were two purchases independent of the Coutinho sale

But ultimately as long as the right players are been bought and the club is not being put at financial risk or backed by one person then I don’t really care - what difference does it make. The main aim is to get the squad strong enough to compete on as many levels as possible - at this stage Liverpool have already strengthened two weak areas - all good news

But it suits you to post when they, Sky, tweet about rumours of signings, like Fabinho yesterday, but now it's different when it's about what finances have been spent or haven't?

You can't accept what Sky news reports when it suits and then dismiss it when it doesn't, how do you know that the VVD and Kieta deals weren't accrued for the deal they knew they were getting for Coutinho?