And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having had plenty of time to reflect on Liverpool's defeat, including reading the thoughts of many of their supporters, I clearly realise that there is only one person to blame ...................... Jurgen Klopp.
There are three clear reasons for this;
1. Too heavily reliant on Mo Salah,
2. No plan B,
3. After several transfer windows he's still not bought a 'keeper when everyone has known for a while, including the Liverpool fans on this forum, that a replacement 'keeper was needed urgently!

We all know that Karius had an absolute 'mare, but we also know he should have been replaced a long, long time ago.

Oh, and the fact that he was left alone by his teammates at the final whistle was just so wrong.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have to agree about the Klopp/Goalie thing.
It's been painfully obvious to everyone that neither keeper was up to the standard required.
Could nobody in the coaching/management set up see that? If not then it doesn't say much about their abilities does it...
Liverpool have had money available and haven't made a move - or maybe they did and got turned down? - for a top quality keeper.
Any club with anything about them is now going to be charging double if Klopp comes looking for their No.1.....

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s great that people on here can see things better than top managers and coaches - Karius has been solid since he came into the team and was given the number one jersey and his performances have enabled the club to get to the final and also top 4 - he has made some crucial saves and been far more solid than Mignolet. Karius is 24 , I remember when De Gea first arrived into the league and he spent a season and half with plenty of mistakes but it’s clear the coaching team at the club saw something in him and stuck by him even though I expect the experts on the Internet were questioning the manager.

Karius if he can get over the mistakes on Saturday can develop further into a very good keeper - he has all the attributes and at 24 has plenty of time left to develop - the issue he has now is getting over Saturday , this is the same keeper who was only just behind Neuer in the German league.

I have no doubt that He was brought in initially as back up to Mignolet but when he started making too many high profile mistakes Karius was given the chance , what happens to Karius now could be that Klopp brings in another keeper and Karius stays to continue to develop but even then Klopp could spend big on players like Allison or Oblak or Donnaruma and then they could make mistakes as well as we have seen with other high profile keepers that have been bought by managers - Taibi , Barthez , Cech , Bravo - all had bowlers over their career.

Not one person on here stated before the game that the weak link for Liverpool would be the keeper - the reason why was because he had been solid and that was reflected in the clean sheets he was keeping. It’s easy to post after the event and even more so when it’s from apparent authority

As for the final whistle business that people are using to beat the team up with - it’s already been stated by many that all the players were distraught and on the floor with the hurt of losing - once the players got composed with their own emotions they all comforted each other but again it’s easy to judge when you haven’t been in the same situation. I have no doubt that Karius has had the right support from the right people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s great that people on here can see things better than top managers and coaches - Karius has been solid since he came into the team and was given the number one jersey and his performances have enabled the club to get to the final and also top 4 - he has made some crucial saves and been far more solid than Mignolet. Karius is 24 , I remember when De Gea first arrived into the league and he spent a season and half with plenty of mistakes but it’s clear the coaching team at the club saw something in him and stuck by him even though I expect the experts on the Internet were questioning the manager.

All your own words, Phil, all your own words.

Liverpoolphil 5th Feb 2017

Klopp has tried by bringing in a CB and a GK during the window - think it was the right CB but needed to be a experienced GK - not sure if Hart is the answer but would prefer him at the club over the Ming with Karius as back up or even given Ward a go.

Liverpoolphil 14th Jan 2018

As much as we need VVD or his defensive ability its also his organising and communication we need and he can talk Gomez through the early stages - another key element is keeper , we all know Karius and Ming arent good enough - hoped he would have given Ward a go but he needs to stick with one now for the season and then spend big on one in the summer ( unless he has his eyes on one now )

Liverpoolphil 27th Jan 2018

How does that make sense ? If you have two weak areas spending money on one doesn’t mean both areas are stronger - we needed a new CB , we got one , we need a new GK and no doubt will get one. Klopp gave Ming a chance and he failed again , Karius has a chance until May now but suspect he will fail as well.

Just saying. :whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

Klopp has tried by bringing in a CB and a GK during the window - think it was the right CB but needed to be a experienced GK - not sure if Hart is the answer but would prefer him at the club over the Ming with Karius as back up or even given Ward a go.

As much as we need VVD or his defensive ability its also his organising and communication we need and he can talk Gomez through the early stages - another key element is keeper , we all know Karius and Ming arent good enough - hoped he would have given Ward a go but he needs to stick with one now for the season and then spend big on one in the summer ( unless he has his eyes on one now )

How does that make sense ? If you have two weak areas spending money on one doesn’t mean both areas are stronger - we needed a new CB , we got one , we need a new GK and no doubt will get one. Klopp gave Ming a chance and he failed again , Karius has a chance until May now but suspect he will fail as well.

Excellent work and all before Karius then went on to play in game after game showing that he could be a keeper that is good enough - I’m sure if you continue your search you will see posts from me praising him

Now what would we find if we searched through your opinions on players who have then gone on to prove your wrong because we all know all of us have posted opinions on players only to be proven wrong including you. Shall we search back on your opinions before they were changed ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really can't be bothered going back through posts but frankly people have been saying for 2-3 years that Liverpool need a decent keeper. It's not news. It's like people were saying for years that Arsenal need a top defensive midfielder. Wenger failed to see what everyone else could, Klopp has done the same with his keepers.

You don't have to be a former pro, manager etc to see the blindingly obvious. You can't defend it, it is just one of those where you have to hold your hands up. Just hold them up better than Karius did.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Impressive stalking there mate 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

I really can't be bothered going back through posts but frankly people have been saying for 2-3 years that Liverpool need a decent keeper. It's not news. It's like people were saying for years that Arsenal need a top defensive midfielder. Wenger failed to see what everyone else could, Klopp has done the same with his keepers.

You don't have to be a former pro, manager etc to see the blindingly obvious. You can't defend it, it is just one of those where you have to hold your hands up. Just hold them up better than Karius did.

The reasons we didn’t win are just as simple as Klopp not buying a keeper - yep Karius made two blunders , the first we got past and the second the game was nearly done - but he also produced two great saves in the match

The reasons we didn’t win were down to the lack of depth we had on the bench , Madrid were able to bring on Bale and still having players like Vasquez and Ascenio on the bench ready to come on - players that would get into most teams but Madrid are able to have the luxury to have first teamers sat on the bench , there is only a select few that have that ability and spending power to have a squad so deep. Liverpool’s first 11 was good enough to challenge them but once Salah went off the options are thin with youngsters and guys returning from injury - if we had at least one more top player to come on to replace Salah or a fully fit Lallana or Ox or Can then the impact could have been less.

So maybe Klopp is at fault for not buying in bulk when it comes to quality but then we don’t have the ability to spend like that - so whilst we have improved our first 11 over the last 12 months we need to improve further to allow the team to compete on both fronts

So Karius will be the fall guy , people will point fingers at Klopp etc but the real reason is Madrid have just got a better squad depth than most in Europe and it’s that ability to bring on that depth that enables them to have enough to get past most teams.

It’s a shame that modern culture looks to find blame instead of credit.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Excellent work and all before Karius then went on to play in game after game showing that he could be a keeper that is good enough - I’m sure if you continue your search you will see posts from me praising him

Now what would we find if we searched through your opinions on players who have then gone on to prove your wrong because we all know all of us have posted opinions on players only to be proven wrong including you. Shall we search back on your opinions before they were changed ?

If you wish, but you're missing the point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never stated that you lost because of Karius, you lost for a range of reasons some of which you have highlighted. Trying to ignore the consistent lack of a quality keeper is plain daft though. It's obvious, clear to 99.9% of the population. Unfortunately your manager was part of the 0.1%.

If De Gea had been your keeper you may still have lost but he would not have let two sitters in and the chance are you would have come 2nd this year instead of Utd.

If you can't see that your keeping situation has been highlighted and clear for 2-3 years then I really don't know what to say further.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Karius gifted Real 2 goals. Without the gifts its 1-1. 1-1 doesn't make Real the better team. Liverpool had the majority of the first half, and Real had the majority of the second half... pretty even Steven to be honest, apart from the howlers by a keeper already known for being suspect at times.

Klopp picked the best team he had available, and isn't to blame for there not being a better keeper in the squad, nor for Karius's howlers.

Blame? Just who is to blame for those mistakes? There is only one answer, and its the keeper - it sure as hell isn't Mane...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Klopp picked the best team he had available, and isn't to blame for there not being a better keeper in the squad, nor for Karius's howlers.

Blame? Just who is to blame for those mistakes? There is only one answer, and its the keeper - it sure as hell isn't Mane...

Klopp has been there 2 1/2 years. Who else is responsible for the keepers available? He sets the priorities for players to sign, positions etc. He made the judgment that Ming and Karius were good enough for that level and other positions were more important.

D

Deleted member 15344

I never stated that you lost because of Karius, you lost for a range of reasons some of which you have highlighted. Trying to ignore the consistent lack of a quality keeper is plain daft though. It's obvious, clear to 99.9% of the population. Unfortunately your manager was part of the 0.1%.

If De Gea had been your keeper you may still have lost but he would not have let two sitters in and the chance are you would have come 2nd this year instead of Utd.

If you can't see that your keeping situation has been highlighted and clear for 2-3 years then I really don't know what to say further.

Sorry but just buying a keeper wouldn’t have got us into second - not buying a centre back before Jan was the reason why we lost ground early on - if VVD arrived in the August then I believe the position could have been higher and I also think that whilst Mignolet has had issues for years Karius coming in at tbe same time as VVD seemed to solidify the backline a considerable amount and up until Saturday I reckon the manager might well have continued with him for next season because from Jan until Saturday Karius had been solid and it looked like he had got over the initial early problems he had. Klopp gave Karius a chance and he seemed to take it to the point that the talk of a new keeper had died down. Ultimately it will start up again because of those errors but I still see Karius going on to become a very good quality keeper

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Klopp has been there 2 1/2 years. Who else is responsible for the keepers available? He sets the priorities for players to sign, positions etc. He made the judgment that Ming and Karius were good enough for that level and other positions were more important.

Maybe Klopp saw the priority to be a new central defender. And its certainly been proven to be right. Maybe Liverpool couldn't afford to splash out a fortune on a keeper at the same time they bought VVD. Bearing in mind both central defence AND keeper were an issue before the January window it certainly looks like it was an either or choice, not both.

Karius may well develop into a world class keeper, who knows, but he obviously isn't there yet. There needs to be a world class keeper as number 1, and then maybe Karius gets some understudy time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think anyone would argue that the priority was a CH and he has already made a big difference. Don't forget they also spent £35m on Ox. Money well spent but it shows money was there.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well the jungle rumours have Liverpool spending €40 mil on Fabinho to replace Can who is off to Juve - if true that’s a big gap in the squad filled as Fabinho is a top quality DM and he is someone that both Man Utd and City were after. Rumours appear very strong about it

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well the jungle rumours have Liverpool spending €40 mil on Fabinho to replace Can who is off to Juve - if true that’s a big gap in the squad filled as Fabinho is a top quality DM and he is someone that both Man Utd and City were after. Rumours appear very strong about it

Can he play in goal?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't think anyone would argue that the priority was a CH and he has already made a big difference. Don't forget they also spent £35m on Ox. Money well spent but it shows money was there.

and still is apparently, the Coutinho money hasn’t been spent, some of it may be acrued for some signings already agreed in principle, or maybe not 🤔

Edit:

BREAKING: Liverpool are closing in on a £43.7million deal for Monaco midfielder Fabinho, according to Sky sources.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Rumours, it’s all over Twitter & Sky Sports.....