An audience with Adele

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As Homer said, it's his opinion. He has a right to it. There are lots of singers and bands that people like and others can't stand them. It doesn't make either side right or wrong. It's just an opinion. It's how it sounds to the individual ear.
Not liking the songs is a personal preference & opinion.

Claiming someone can't sing, when clearly they're very good rather makes it look like you don't know the topic at hand

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But it’s an opinion based on untruths! ie, “very out of tune” “her pitch is definitely out” they are factual statements.

Basically we are saying people can spout any old crap by putting the caveat, imo.

No issue with anyone stating they don’t like or rate her, etc, I totally agree with you about individual tasted, but unless they are a professional in the music industry and can back up the facts, then its unsubstantiated garbage.
Anyway…I enjoy the videos of Rick Beato…professional producer, recording artist, session musician…and he loves Adele. Here he talks about Easy On Me - and he does pick out some of the ‘nuances’ in her singing.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I guess it depends on where you are looking. The mainstream charts etc mainly are dominated by “pop” music which will have those bland catchy tunes that sells

I guess if listening to the main stream radio stations that’s what will be heard but there will be no doubt lots of variety out there
But that's the problem with the main charts. At one time you did have a real mix in there. Nowadays it's all too much the same. There was a three part documentary on whether the 80's was the greatest music decade (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00110rq/the-80s-musics-greatest-decade) and when I watched it I kind of thought he had a point.
Anyway, back on topic. I don't mind Adele, she does great songs but not one that I go head over heels for. And, to be honest, there's nothing wrong with variances in the way people sing. Some of the most characterful singers did not have the best voices, but they could project emotion.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I still dont like her music and no complaining by the footy crew or whoever is going to change that. I would say Alison Moyet had a better voice.
Anyway, you lot carry on.....

No one in the "footy crew" as you call it (disappointingly as I would have expected that from others but not you) is asking you to change your opinion on whether or not you like Adele's music, the issue that a few individuals who happen to follow football have is with disrespectful opinions, masquerading as facts, that she cannot sing, which is patently cobblers.

I wouldn't dispute that Alison Moyet has a fine voice, but I'm not aware that anyone had suggested otherwise.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think she hits the notes perfectly, however with my ear for music..

Being able to sing in tune does not mean you have perfect pitch.
If someone plays a ''C'' on a piano and asks a singer to sing that note, if the singer can sing the note, that means they can sing in tune. Or the singer sings along with a band or backing track.

If you are playing golf and someone says sing a ''C'' and you can sing it in tune, that's perfect pitch.
Many wrongly claim to have it, very few do.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If someone plays a ''C'' on a piano and asks a singer to sing that note, if the singer can sing the note, that means they can sing in tune. Or the singer sings along with a band or backing track.

If you are playing golf and someone says sing a ''C'' and you can sing it in tune, that's perfect pitch.
Are you suggesting she can't do that, her voice sounds perfectly in tune to me and I have read a number of items that describe her as having perfect pitch. Who am I to disagree.

This is not meant to be sarcastic but what has it to do with playing golf?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Next time I play golf I'll drag my piano round and see if you're right. Just wondering if there's any particular "c" I should play?

(Only problem is that my piano weighs 9 stone, do you think my GoKart will take it?)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

It could have chosen anywhere, office, jungle, football pitch anywhere where you don't have access to a reference note to copy.
I only picked a golf course because (a) this is a golf forum (b) you don't get many pianos on a golf course. Unless Chrisd brings his

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
But that's the problem with the main charts. At one time you did have a real mix in there. Nowadays it's all too much the same. There was a three part documentary on whether the 80's was the greatest music decade (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00110rq/the-80s-musics-greatest-decade) and when I watched it I kind of thought he had a point.
Anyway, back on topic. I don't mind Adele, she does great songs but not one that I go head over heels for. And, to be honest, there's nothing wrong with variances in the way people sing. Some of the most characterful singers did not have the best voices, but they could project emotion.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: no.

Literally the worst era when ALL you got was "pop" in the charts, and boy were they horrendous. 80s is when radio play changed, and TV coverage followed.

Now yes, if you look at what wasn't getting in the charts, but I think in general people remember periods by what was playing all the time, and by that standard a decade that was filled with Wet wet wet, UB40, Level 42, Heaven 17, and gawd knows how many other bands with numbers in their name, memorable it was, great it was not.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: no.

Literally the worst era when ALL you got was "pop" in the charts, and boy were they horrendous. 80s is when radio play changed, and TV coverage followed.

Now yes, if you look at what wasn't getting in the charts, but I think in general people remember periods by what was playing all the time, and by that standard a decade that was filled with Wet wet wet, UB40, Level 42, Heaven 17, and gawd knows how many other bands with numbers in their name, memorable it was, great it was not.
Fair enough, it's all about opinion and what you grew up with. But if you watch the three episodes, you will see the variety of music that was actually released during that period. It's a lot more than what you have mentioned above. And the Charts is, and always has been, about "pop". Whatever era you look at it. I can think of other decades that were more "poppy" than the 80's. The 70's, for example. But I'm happy to persuaded as to why another decade may be better.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you suggesting she can't do that, her voice sounds perfectly in tune to me and I have read a number of items that describe her as having perfect pitch. Who am I to disagree.

It’s a great song; with a great vocal performance; and it’s got soul. Ain’t that what we think of golf when we hit the sweet spot in our game for a hole or two ?