American or Direct Golf?

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I lost me 7 iron a month ago and can't find a like for like replacement so am now in the market for some new clubs.
II'm not a member of a club and don't have a pro so one of the golf chains looks like my best bet. But which one?

I've got both American Golf and Direct Golf within 10 mins anyone got a view on which to go for?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you know what you want get them online. Probably cheaper.
If not then a Pro with a launch monitor would be better than AG or DG - I don't trust their simulators much.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
It the knowing what I want that's the problem.

Surely if I'm comparing irons any "over calibration" of the simulator will be negated.

If I just contacted a local pro would they have enough of a selection of products?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To my mind it depends on the individual store as the experience you get can differ greatly. Take Direct Golf, I love the one near Cambridge and that is now my place of choice for golf purchases but I am not a massive fan of the stores in Peterborough or Lincoln. Same with American Golf, I am happy to use the one at Kettering bu others have not been so good.

Not much help I know but true.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It the knowing what I want that's the problem.

Surely if I'm comparing irons any "over calibration" of the simulator will be negated.

Good point. At least you're comparing on a level playing field.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try both as they may have different clubs in stock for you to try. Then if the ones you choose are in stock go with which ever offers you the best deal.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Visiting both seemed like a good idea (thanks top those that suggested it), so I did. In reality both where a pleasant experience although I suspect helped by the fact that as high handicapper on a budget things where simple. Just a case of hitting some balls to see which set I was least inconsistent with.

I now have a big dilemma, because of my budget I'm looking at previous season models so I can't compare my favourite from each visit back to back. I'm going to go back to each and try them again - I just hope a can remember the feel from during the 20 minutes drive.

Any one got any thoughts to help my choice:

Wilson Staff Di7 or John Letters T8.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sadly not, as they change the setting between each club. I played with a former manager of one of those stores and he confirmed it used to be common for employees to add a lot of wind behind added when it was a brand they wanted to push.