American Golf – Uncompetitive or what?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I recently invested in a set of Wilson D7 irons, after having been persuaded by one of their staff to try them. I was all set to buy them but needed to PX my Mizunos, JPX 850 Forged in excellent condition. Their part exchange offer was £138 the “PGA guide price”.
I thought this offer was derisory so went to a local pro. Not only did he offer me £175 but, without prompting, offered me the Wilsons for £50 less than AG.

I eventually sold the Mizunos to Golfbidder for £220 & saw them offered for sale a few days later for £320. I’m unsure where AG got their figure from but I would have thought that, had they taken them in part exchange, and I would have accepted £175, they wouldn’t have incurred a loss on the deal.

If this is the way the new regime propose to do business I think that it will be just a matter of time before the business goes int administration again.

also, the staff in the store couldn't have cared less about losing the deal. They either have no authority to move from the laid down deals or aren't bothered. I was less than impressed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure they can't negotiate over the PGA price. I was in one of their stores a couple of weeks back and nothing i looked at was cheaper than I could get it from elsewhere. I suspect in time they will close their stand alone stores, like Debenhams are going to, and then concentrate on their online and golf range presence

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect in time they will close their stand alone stores, like Debenhams are going to, and then concentrate on their online and golf range presence
I've heard that said by many in the golf industry,and you can see why.But you have to ask "who is to blame?"
As much as I dislike AG. we are the guilty parties.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've heard that said by many in the golf industry,and you can see why.But you have to ask "who is to blame?"
As much as I dislike AG. we are the guilty parties.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely. Had they made me an offer which would have still allowed them to make a profit on the part exchange, even if they just sent the clubs to Golfbidder, I'd have done business with them. As it was, I saved £132 by shopping elsewhere.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I didn't understand what you meant. You made it sound like we as golfers are responsible for keeping a multi-national business afloat somehow.

It’s us looking for a bargain has made business what it is

They aren’t blameless.. for years just putting prices and people will pay it

However now everyone is looking for a bargain so will match and match to get lowest possible

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I recently invested in a set of Wilson D7 irons, after having been persuaded by one of their staff to try them. I was all set to buy them but needed to PX my Mizunos, JPX 850 Forged in excellent condition. Their part exchange offer was £138 the “PGA guide price”.
I thought this offer was derisory so went to a local pro. Not only did he offer me £175 but, without prompting, offered me the Wilsons for £50 less than AG.

I eventually sold the Mizunos to Golfbidder for £220 & saw them offered for sale a few days later for £320. I’m unsure where AG got their figure from but I would have thought that, had they taken them in part exchange, and I would have accepted £175, they wouldn’t have incurred a loss on the deal.

If this is the way the new regime propose to do business I think that it will be just a matter of time before the business goes int administration again.

also, the staff in the store couldn't have cared less about losing the deal. They either have no authority to move from the laid down deals or aren't bothered. I was less than impressed.

It’s not a lot different to part exchanging your car. The dealer will always offer less than you will get selling elsewhere privately. AG are not bound to offer you any specific fixed rate, just a fee that they are happy with. I’m sure I’ve even heard staff in AG recommend selling privately or to Golfbidder for better prices. They no longer offer double value trade in, and I think trying to move away from trading in clubs, so are likely offer lowest price they can, as in your case, you don’t have to accept it. As for the Mizunos being cheaper elsewhere, AG will price match pretty much any other store price. I don’t think their model is any different to elsewhere.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I just received a random voucher from them the other day due to them "missing me".
£20 off of an £80 spend. I can't argue with the discout but still trying to find something worth buying that makes it a good deal.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It’s not a lot different to part exchanging your car. The dealer will always offer less than you will get selling elsewhere privately. AG are not bound to offer you any specific fixed rate, just a fee that they are happy with. I’m sure I’ve even heard staff in AG recommend selling privately or to Golfbidder for better prices. They no longer offer double value trade in, and I think trying to move away from trading in clubs, so are likely offer lowest price they can, as in your case, you don’t have to accept it. As for the Mizunos being cheaper elsewhere, AG will price match pretty much any other store price. I don’t think their model is any different to elsewhere.
I disagree. If you're comparing it with the car trade you could liken Golfbidder to We Buy Any Car. I recently changed my car & the part exchange price I was offered for mine was within pounds of the We Buy Any Car price. Selling to Golfbidder isn't like selling privately, it's like selling to a dealer who expects to make a profit when they sell the clubs on. If I'd chosen to go through the hassle of selling on EBay it's likely I'd have got more but I just coupdn't be bothered, I just wanted them off my hands.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Online only retailers are helping to destroy many independent businesses. Margin erosion is a killer for them. Plenty of online only guys will accept a £5 profit on a £50 bit of kit and shift a load because all we see is a bargain go bananas.

The high street guy needs to make £10 for the same item to just stay afloat and is thus “too expensive” so we don’t buy from them. They then go pop and we all moan that our shopping districts only have betting shops, Gregg’s, bargain booze and a few pawn shops.

I never ever buy golf gear online. Always face to face from a pro shop/Ag etc.

I would like to see a more American approach where prices are regulated by the manufacturer. Consumers will get the product to an acceptable market price. If the product doesn’t sell then it’s the manufacturer that will have to adjust.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Online only retailers are helping to destroy many independent businesses. Margin erosion is a killer for them. Plenty of online only guys will accept a £5 profit on a £50 bit of kit and shift a load because all we see is a bargain go bananas.

The high street guy needs to make £10 for the same item to just stay afloat and is thus “too expensive” so we don’t buy from them. They then go pop and we all moan that our shopping districts only have betting shops, Gregg’s, bargain booze and a few pawn shops.

I would like to see a more American approach where prices are regulated by the manufacturer. Consumers will get the product to an acceptable market price. If the product doesn’t sell then it’s the manufacturer that will have to adjust.
Is this relevant? I bought from a golf pro - face to face.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

All good and well but when manufacturers have already got pros by the balls that’s not going to work.

Making pros commit to £1000s at the beginning of every season then letting them earn about 15% on clubs only to knock their door down 6 months later with a new clubS

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They did send me a £10 voucher for
My birthday the other day ( which was nice )i bought a new glove with it as everything else was over priced !

I still have £55 in vouchers to use (Xmas gift card) but damned if I am going to waste it on something I could buy for a lot less from my pro

D

Deleted member 15344

AG are now acting sensibly in regards how they trade in clubs - they lost so much money with that first trade in and lots on here took advantage of them ,people buying cheap sets from eBay then exchanging then selling on those sets - some even tried to do it on here , morally wrong

I always wondered who shops at American Golf? No idea how they are still in business

The thousands of people who are not members of golf clubs - AG has a place in the market

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
AG are now acting sensibly in regards how they trade in clubs - they lost so much money with that first trade in and lots on here took advantage of them ,people buying cheap sets from eBay then exchanging then selling on those sets - some even tried to do it on here , morally wrong

The thousands of people who are not members of golf clubs - AG has a place in the market
What’s remotely wrong about it? I made close to £2k through taking advantage of the offer.

I saw an opportunity and ran with it. I won, the people I bought the clubs off won, and the people I sold the new clubs to, won.

That’s how businesses work. It’s how life works.

American golf basically do the same thing. They buy clubs from brands at trade and sell them for profit.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s remotely wrong about it? I made close to £2k through taking advantage of the offer.

I saw an opportunity and ran with it. I won, the people I bought the clubs off won, and the people I sold the new clubs to, won.

That’s how businesses work. It’s how life works.

American golf basically do the same thing. They buy clubs from brands at trade and sell them for profit.
With due respect to you, AG are a business and the transactions they make are all accounted for. Without being rude, I doubt if you declared your fiscal gains through the subtle abuse of the AG scheme to the Revenue;)