Amazing facts from the world of science.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not sure that is entirely the case.
If you categorically proved there was no maker then our society (well certainly a few billion people) would lose their value, we would have to remake society according to new rules.

I do like conversations pertaining to the universe as there are so many concepts that are just hard/impossible for the brain to comprehend on 'normal' level, a simple one being if you could shrink the universe to the size of a coke can ...... what is on the outside of that coke can? Simple, easy to understand question....a git to answer.

My sentiment is along the lines of the universe is infinite in time SO FAR, it's been around far too long to measure and has been remade potentially billions of times, each one with a bang! However we might be part of the FINAL universe, the BIG bang, whereby the universe created with such force that it will never collapse again, matter was driven apart this time too fast to ever be able to 'repair itself' and as such the 13.6Bn years so far has been enough for life to take hold.

The first 'universe' would potentially have been relatively tiny but big enough that gravity could take hold and take basic building blocks. such as leptons, and collect them together to form (possibly) a single star like body, big enough to force reactions to take place, thereby forming electrons, a few bangs later neutrons etc etc

However for that to happen at all there has to be a mechanism whereby matter (no matter how tiny) is simply created ON ITS OWN, and therefore is still probably happening right now, we just haven't found it yet. So in theory, once upon a time, way back when, there could have been a universe that simply contained leptons or quarks.

Of course this would be my belief and as such is no different/better than someone's belief in God as both are, at present, unproven.
The universe has no inside and no outside - it is like a Möbius strip...?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So, if it is expanding , what is it expanding into?. And something which is capable of expanding must have a boundary?

But if it is expanding with no boundary, is it diluting or getting thinner, more spread out,
Will it become so spread out that we stop being figments in each other’s imaginations?

42 ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The universe is not expanding into anything.
General Relativity proves that.
Consider photons from the Big Bang. They are still arriving on earth after journeying through curved space time for 13.8 billion years.

So what is the future for humans?
Here are some suggestions.
We know our star has only a limited life so our very distant future would not be here.
We might jump to another planet, parallel world or even another universe (Michio Kaku).
We might construct a generation ship to take us to the stars where the original crew would not be the final one.
We might send our information in nanobots through wormholes to reconstruct our bodies on the far side of the galaxy.
We might invent teleportation (I like a bit of Star Trek), though I wouldn't fancy being in transit if the teleporter malfunctioned!

Actually there is one outcome that we need to be aware.
We should not broadcast our position to the rest of the galaxy.
There could be an advanced alien civilisation also needing a new home.
(Stephen Hawking).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
[snip]
Overwhelmingly the most likely future is that the human species will become extinct long before the Sun renders the planet uninhabitable.
Probably a good thing too - in the grand scheme of things, Homo sapiens is the worst vermin around.

Notwithstanding all this deep stuff about the universe, how about something a bit more mundane?
The closest living relative to the T.Rex is (probably) the chicken.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The universe is not expanding into anything.
General Relativity proves that.
Consider photons from the Big Bang. They are still arriving on earth after journeying through curved space time for 13.8 billion years.

Here are some suggestions.
We know our star has only a limited life so our very distant future would not be here.
We might jump to another planet, parallel world or even another universe (Michio Kaku).
We might construct a generation ship to take us to the stars where the original crew would not be the final one.
We might send our information in nanobots through wormholes to reconstruct our bodies on the far side of the galaxy.
We might invent teleportation (I like a bit of Star Trek), though I wouldn't fancy being in transit if the teleporter malfunctioned!

Actually there is one outcome that we need to be aware.
We should not broadcast our position to the rest of the galaxy.
There could be an advanced alien civilisation also needing a new home.
(Stephen Hawking).

Hmmm.
You don't make it clear, but I get the impression that you believe most of the theories that you post, as likely to be facts? There is some way out thinking in your post.
In my opinion, I think a lot of these theorists are coming up with theories in order to justify their position.
What we do know is that the earth has a limited life.
And we might jump to another planet- whether we can get to one which is any use, is a big big ask.
And we might have a big space ship and hope for some good outcome generations ahead, but that would be a "Hail Mary "effort, unless we develop a mind boggling propulsion system.
The rest is very much way out theory, to the point of pure hope .No basis for even speculation .

As for broadcasting our position. We already have done that. And any civilisation capable of coming here will be more than capable of picking up those signals and already knowing that we are here.
The cat's out of the bag!
And they would have found us anyway, just as the native Americans didn't tell anybody about themselves?

My way out bet , if I had to, would be that we will re-establish the atmosphere of Mars, and colonise there, before eventually moving on to exo planets not yet found that would support our species. (And we might need benevolent assistance from advanced aliens to do that).
Otherwise, we will fizzle out!

Anyway, it would be nice to come back in 500 yrs to see how we are getting on??

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm.
You don't make it clear, but I get the impression that you believe most of the theories that you post, as likely to be facts? There is some way out thinking in your post.
In my opinion, I think a lot of these theorists are coming up with theories in order to justify their position.
What we do know is that the earth has a limited life.
And we might jump to another planet- whether we can get to one which is any use, is a big big ask.
And we might have a big space ship and hope for some good outcome generations ahead, but that would be a "Hail Mary "effort, unless we develop a mind boggling propulsion system.
The rest is very much way out theory, to the point of pure hope .No basis for even speculation .

As for broadcasting our position. We already have done that. And any civilisation capable of coming here will be more than capable of picking up those signals and already knowing that we are here.
The cat's out of the bag!
And they would have found us anyway, just as the native Americans didn't tell anybody about themselves?

My way out bet , if I had to, would be that we will re-establish the atmosphere of Mars, and colonise there, before eventually moving on to eco planets not yet found that would support our species. (And we might need benevolent assistance from advanced aliens to do that).
Otherwise, we will fizzle out!

Anyway, it would be nice to come back in 500 yrs to see how we are getting on??
Might not be long enough.. we could have a reset via some silly war caused by the current crop of swingers in control of the nuclear arsenals ...

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Overwhelmingly the most likely future is that the human species will become extinct long before the Sun renders the planet uninhabitable.
Probably a good thing too - in the grand scheme of things, Homo sapiens is the worst vermin around.

Homo sapiens are already on the road to extinction. It's a feature of evolution.
We don't know what the post human will look like but we can guess that AI could be a big factor.
---------
The most dominant force in the universe is the electromagnetic force which switched on soon after the Big Bang.
This allowed for atoms and molecules to form.
What prevents you from falling through the earth is the E/M force and the fact that electrons don't like each other.
The electrons in your body are repelling the electrons in the ground.
Should something turn off the force then atoms and molecules would be ripped apart.
The ultimate future of the universe is that this will happen and in a few trillion years the cosmos will be radiation.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You don't make it clear, but I get the impression that you believe most of the theories that you post, as likely to be facts?
There are no absolute truths.
There is no absolute time. It ticks by differently depending on where you are and what you are doing (Einstein).
There is no absolute position as explained by the Uncertainty Principle (Heisenberg).
The chair you sit on does not exist. The moon only exists if observed. (Bohr, Schroedinger).
What exists is what we can't see because of the grossness of our senses, namely forces, particles and waves.

Do we even exist (Cogito ergo sum)?
We are only a temporary arrangement of atoms with consciousness, which as yet we don't understand.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd have gone with "Speculative quotes in melodramatic fashion"
As you have not stated what these speculative quotes are, please mention them.

Scientific theories worth exploring are put to the test.
An example is Darwin's theory of evolution. Even Darwin himself had some doubts but for 160 years now it has never been disproved, and is now confirmed by Neo-Darwinism.
Einstein's theory of relativity has been put to the test any number of times, and it has now been described as a perfect theory.
That also goes for quantum theory even if 'nobody understands it' (Richard Feynmann, champion of quantum physics).
'Reality is not what it seems' (a book by Carlo Rovelli, pioneer of quantum gravity).
We know that the brain does not see reality but is able to build up its own model of reality for everyday survival.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There are no absolute truths.
There is no absolute time. It ticks by differently depending on where you are and what you are doing (Einstein).
There is no absolute position as explained by the Uncertainty Principle (Heisenberg).
The chair you sit on does not exist. The moon only exists if observed. (Bohr, Schroedinger).
What exists is what we can't see because of the grossness of our senses, namely forces, particles and waves.

Do we even exist (Cogito ergo sum)?
We are only a temporary arrangement of atoms with consciousness, which as yet we don't understand.

Like I said.! However, it now seems that there are no facts at all.

But what I'd like to know is, why did I pay DFS money for something that doesn't exist.?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site