Amazing facts from the world of science.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Space.
Everything in the cosmos is nothing but empty curved space, including the world we inhabit.
What we see and touch are only manifestations of the curvature of space.

Matter.
Everyting is made of atoms but they are virtually empty space.
You could fit all 7 billion humans alive today into the size of a sugar cube, and all 105 billion who have ever lived into a light bulb.

Time.
There is no such thing as present and future. Everything is in the past with no way of predicting the future.

Life.
The atoms of life are cells. We have at least 37 billion of different types of cell in our body.
Remember a time when you were young. It was you but it isn't you now because all your cells have either been lost, damaged, replaced or rearranged.

Unproven but probably true.
The Universe is not all there is. There are infinite copies of it.
There are multiple copies in parallel worlds of each of us and we are an average of the set of copies in nearby parallel worlds.

Refrences include John Wheeler, Stephen Hawking, David Deutsch. Steve Grand, Hugh Everitt.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Had a conversation with my 10 year old last night about matter and energy. He's been reading, Why does E=MC2 by Brian Cox.

His mind was blown thinking about the material and energy that makes his body has been in existence since the universe was created. He convinced himself that he was previously a Trex from a planet in Andromeda.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Had a conversation with my 10 year old last night about matter and energy. He's been reading, Why does E=MC2 by Brian Cox.

His mind was blown thinking about the material and energy that makes his body has been in existence since the universe was created. He convinced himself that he was previously a Trex from a planet in Andromeda.

Probably a Trex because we are all interconnected.
Paul Dirac quote (attributed): "Pick a flower and you move the furthest star."

This is a refennce to Einstein's theory of gravity (General Relativity).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My MIL still is.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I used to work with Brian Cox's wife Gia Milinovich when she was trying to break into the sports media at Sky Sports years ago. She was a complete air-head at the time.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Space.
Everything in the cosmos is nothing but empty curved space, including the world we inhabit.
What we see and touch are only manifestations of the curvature of space.

Matter.
Everyting is made of atoms but they are virtually empty space.
You could fit all 7 billion humans alive today into the size of a sugar cube, and all 105 billion who have ever lived into a light bulb.

Time.
There is no such thing as present and future. Everything is in the past with no way of predicting the future.

Life.
The atoms of life are cells. We have at least 37 billion of different types of cell in our body.
Remember a time when you were young. It was you but it isn't you now because all your cells have either been lost, damaged, replaced or rearranged.

Refrences include John Wheeler, Stephen Hawking, David Deutsch. Steve Grand, Hugh Everitt.

This bit

Unproven but probably true.
The Universe is not all there is. There are infinite copies of it.
There are multiple copies in parallel worlds of each of us and we are an average of the set of copies in nearby parallel worlds.

Yea, yea, yea.........

Some of these theorists are like fashion and art.
How outrageous can I be so that people take notice.??

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some of these theorists are like fashion and art.
How outrageous can I be so that people take notice.??

It's based on the theory of inflation soon after the Big Bang and the property of photons.
Statistically because the Universe is so vast and there are only a few dozen atoms needed for life, you have a double only 10^10^18 metres away.
Actually this is a huge number so you're unlikely to meet him.
And on the subject of aliens one of their probes may have passed through the solar system in 2017. It was not a natural object.
The debris from an alien civilisation may already be here in the form of dust.
Amazing to think we are the only civilisation in our galaxy.
Amazing to think we are not.

I made a mistake in the 1st post. Based on recent data we have 37.2 trillion cells in our body (not 37 billion).
Even more amazing!

ForeRight

Visit site
It's based on the theory of inflation soon after the Big Bang and the property of photons.
Statistically because the Universe is so vast and there are only a few dozen atoms needed for life, you have a double only 10^10^18 metres away.
And on the subject of aliens one of their probes may have passed through the solar system in 2017. It was not a natural object.

I made a mistake in the 1st post. Based on recent data we have 37.2 trillion cells in our body (not 37 billion).
Even more amazing!

That's a very definite statement. Got a reference for that?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Even more amazing!

Replace first amazing with arrogant.
Replace second with intelligent.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If the universe was created that would suggest a creator and according to millions of people that happened 6,000-10,000 years ago.

These people are wrong. There is nothing further to say on the subject.

My favourite science fact:
Rewind from present day to when the T-Rex roamed the earth - c. 70 million years.
Rewind from that point to when the Stegosaurus roamed the earth - c. 155 million years.

The time between the Stegosaurus and the T-Rex was greater than the time between the T-Rex and us now. Absolutely mind-blowing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
These people are wrong. There is nothing further to say on the subject.

My favourite science fact:
Rewind from present day to when the T-Rex roamed the earth - c. 70 million years.
Rewind from that point to when the Stegosaurus roamed the earth - c. 155 million years.

The time between the Stegosaurus and the T-Rex was greater than the time between the T-Rex and us now. Absolutely mind-blowing.

My favourite fact is that the universe is 13.8 Billion years old and the earth is 4.5 Billion years old.

D

Deleted member 1147

According to Pink Floyd: “there is no dark side of the moon, it’s all dark”

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Who do you think you are?
Science provides the answer.
You are made of atoms which were cooked inside ancient stars that exploded and spread around the Universe. We are all stardust.
Your hydrogen atoms were created soon after the Big Bang 13.8 billion earth years ago.
Next time someone asks your age tell them you are billions of years old!

How did you become an upright naked ape?
The answer is evolution based on natural selection and underpinned by genetics.
Genes were once free floating in ancient oceans but somehow (probably by entropy) found a way to construct bodies for their survival and replication.

We are nothing more than throwaway bodies for our genes.
As they are blind programmers down the generations they don't care about us, their temporary robot like vehicles.
(if you haven't been shocked by that last statement you have not understood it.)

References: Fred Hoyle (astronomer), Charles Darwin (naturalist), Richard Dawkins (evolutionary biologist).