Album Cover Art

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given that as a boy I had to rely on pop radio and my sister's cassettes for musical inspiration and not growing up in a household where music was played a lot, my life changed completely when someone handed me this CD:

Green_Day_-_Dookie_cover.jpg

I hadn't heard anything like this before in my life and it just spoke to me. Catchy lyrics, uncomplicated guitar sequences- it was very much like the 90s pop music that I had been used to, but cooler, edgier and honest. It was empowering and silly enough to hold the attention of an 11 year old.

On the first night I borrowed it, I couldn't sleep as Basket Case repeated through my head.

This album shaped my musical taste of the future, getting me acquainted with other heavier bands like Nirvana, Blink 182, Metallica then on to heavier metal like Deftones, Korn, System of A Down et al.

This album still sounds great today and stands as a symbol of Green Day's credible era.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tread at the weekend that vinyk is making a significant comeback - largely based upon youngsters suddenly appreciating that actually having a physical piece of art (such as an album cover is) for you money. Though apparently the purchasing they do is for the art rather than the vinyl - as they use the download code you get with the album to download and listen that way.

But on original art work. My local record shop has The Cars - Candy-O for £2. Think I'll buy and frame it - classic and very tasteful :)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tread at the weekend that vinyk is making a significant comeback - largely based upon youngsters suddenly appreciating that actually having a physical piece of art (such as an album cover is) for you money. Though apparently the purchasing they do is for the art rather than the vinyl - as they use the download code you get with the album to download and listen that way.

But on original art work. My local record shop has The Cars - Candy-O for £2. Think I'll buy and frame it - classic and very tasteful :)

Wish they'd had that in my day, purchase a cracking picture disk, but leave it in the sleeve, all pristine and download the track from the web to listen to it on your smart phone or ipod, brilliant.

Some of my old picture disk would be worth a few bob now, if I still had them of course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wish they'd had that in my day, purchase a cracking picture disk, but leave it in the sleeve, all pristine and download the track from the web to listen to it on your smart phone or ipod, brilliant.

Some of my old picture disk would be worth a few bob now, if I still had them of course.

Mind you - cost of vinyl albums is £20 - so not cheap. And as you raise it - what did you do with your vinyl - bin it - flog to record shop. I kept all of mine - but no idea how many did.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
View attachment 8435

Will always be my favourite album, not just for the myriad of personal reasons but still love every track and never get sick of it. Any guesses? Will be pleasantly surprised if there's any correct ones ...

Absolutely adore this record - it's definitely up there as a permanent fixture in my ever-changing top ten along with Deja Entendu and this bad boy...

caution.jpg

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got this album. The actual album cover has a hole so that the picture disc is visible, it's a great album too!

$_12.JPG

Slime.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's taken me a long time but today I bought Yes - Relayer on vinyl (£6). Was one of my favs back in the day but only had it recorded on tape. Top album that holds up today (might even have a wider audience today). But would anyone record this sort of stuff these days - prog heavy metal, rock, jazz, melodic meld - and you get a nice piece of Roger Dean artwork thrown in as well.

btw - just spotted it was released 1974 - good grief :)

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's taken me a long time but today I bought Yes - Relayer on vinyl (£6). Was one of my favs back in the day but only had it recorded on tape. Top album that holds up today (might even have a wider audience today). But would anyone record this sort of stuff these days - prog heavy metal, rock, jazz, melodic meld - and you get a nice piece of Roger Dean artwork thrown in as well.

btw - just spotted it was released 1974 - good grief :)

I've got it on vinyl, somewhere?