Age, Fitness, and the Swing

albatross2

Visit site
I'm a 48 year old male and currently carry a .4 index. I started playing at ~18 and caught the bug in a big way. I've long been a student of the swing, but I always relied on my natural athleticism (and youth) to allow me to get my body to perform. I typically run +1 to 1 here in Wisconsin at my home course, and I've re-built my swing twice before this year. But I'm definitely getting older, and I had never lifted weights or committed to a work-out regimen in my life. So, in May, I committed to getting into the best shape of my life by 50. For the past 7 months I've been going to a personal trainer for 1x1 sessions 2-3 times a week, and I have coupled that with re-building my swing. Even in this short period, my results have been extraordinary.

I'm posting because I'm interested in how other folks have approached golf-directed fitness - particularly tied back to their age and golf instruction. The pros all do it. But I don't really know any other golfers who are specifically dedicating their fitness to their golf...

Here's what I've been doing (in a nutshell): warm-up is fairly static in structure - ~12 minutes of dynamic stretching and range of motion work. We concentrate a LOT on upper thoracic mobility as the differential between shoulder and hip turns is a power driver. We also work extensively on pelvic mobility with emphasis on the flexors, as well as hamstrings and basic glute activation. Several of these are one-legged in character. My favorite is the spiderman stretch with an overhead reach to really open the upper back.

From there, we work on lots of lower body big muscle groups. Squats, lunges, dead lifts - and all the variations of those. We also work on a full spread of upper body - presses, rows, pull-ups... Everything is superset against the opposite motion or a complementary motion. So incline bench barbell presses are set against rows of some type. Big lower body lifts are set against upper back mobility. EVERYTHING is done with an eye on form and a neutral spine drives the process. We also do a LOT of core work and develop explosiveness through the range of motion. A number of med ball exercises, broad jumps, box jumps, TRX.. Two weeks ago, I invited my teaching pro to join me at a workout so my trainer and golf pro could directly engage on what we're working on. It was terrific.

In addition, I've added some supplements. Creatine to help muscular development. A good one-a-day vitamin as well as additional D3, Zinc/Magnesium, Selenium and Omega 3.

Bottom line: while not yet concentrating on cutting fat, I'm down a belt size to 33 and up 12 pounds to 192. I'm using my glutes like I never have before and I finally understand what it means that the golf swing is built from the ground up. My 7-iron swing speed is up to 93 mph from 90 mph. And, while my speed is up, the golf swing feels easier and more natural than it ever has. I find all of this remarkable.

While I am a wonkish golf guy and love to study the swing, I'm NOT a data hound. I'm not chasing metrics. So while my swing speed is up, what has been most fascinating to me is that by getting my body more tuned for the swing, the swing is simply easier.

I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Well done. Wait until you are 76 and your swing speed ( for 7 iron ) is less than that.!
Getting old is a b.....d, but it's better than the alternative 😀

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot on here talk about getting fit but it never lasts long.

Well done you though for your commitment,because that’s basically all you need.

It sounds like your actually doing a lot more than just exercise for golf.
For golf I would say flexibility over strength would be the number one priority as you get older.
Having a solid base is key though,so legs,glutes and lower back would be a good base imo.

Wolf

Visit site
As a strength and conditioning coach as well as being a PT, the golf swing mechanics of modern golfers fascinates me and I have done some work with avid golfers and recently a club pro back in Kent, and I've literally just sent someone on here an introduction to strength and conditioning programme they enquired about through PM.

With how muscles work in the golf swing working out from the ground up is the biggest key to exercise, focus on compound movements (multi joint) as they'll work the most muscles at once and will create the ability to increase strength. Plus working legs more produces more growth hormone through increased IGF1 gene usage. That means more testosterone release as well.

If I were asked to create a specific S&C programme for someone for golf that has no workout history I'd start with..

Mobilisation
Dynamics movements
Lower body strength (Quads, glutes, hammys, calves)
Core engagement, strength & condition (including lumber region)
Upper strength (Chest, back, shoulders, arms)
Explosive movements
Then back to mobilisation.

I'd also ask if they work with a swing coach so I know what their swing movement patterns are being worked on to ensure everything matches up.

The key would be to create a leaner,. Stronger, more flexible physique that doesn't require huge amounts of mass and can be maintained without needing excessive hours in the gym. It's easily doable.

Visit site
I asked similar questions of myself about 15month ago. I wanted to know how I could work my body better in the golf swing without hitting the gym 3/4 times a week as that doesn’t interest me one bit. I came across an online program which I knew about the previous year but didn’t do anything about it.

An offer came through on fb for $99 and I signed up to Tathata Golf. I’ve been doing over the past year on and off and have found it very interesting in his thought process and how from a martial art perspective about the golf swing, but more importantly the use of the body for speed, strength and being grounded. I get coached as well but I do incorporate TG into my swing. I thought what the hell ‘activating glutes’ what’s that about? Boy have I found out. It’s changed my perspective on the golf swing a lot and references are made to a lot of the past greats, Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan and Mickey Walker.

There is a lot of material in the program and his thoughts on how to play uneven lies is something else. But most of all there isn’t any weights or exercise equipment to be had, it’s all about training the body to be better than before.

albatross2

Visit site
As a strength and conditioning coach as well as being a PT, the golf swing mechanics of modern golfers fascinates me and I have done some work with avid golfers and recently a club pro back in Kent, and I've literally just sent someone on here an introduction to strength and conditioning programme they enquired about through PM.

With how muscles work in the golf swing working out from the ground up is the biggest key to exercise, focus on compound movements (multi joint) as they'll work the most muscles at once and will create the ability to increase strength. Plus working legs more produces more growth hormone through increased IGF1 gene usage. That means more testosterone release as well.

If I were asked to create a specific S&C programme for someone for golf that has no workout history I'd start with..

Mobilisation
Dynamics movements
Lower body strength (Quads, glutes, hammys, calves)
Core engagement, strength & condition (including lumber region)
Upper strength (Chest, back, shoulders, arms)
Explosive movements
Then back to mobilisation.

I'd also ask if they work with a swing coach so I know what their swing movement patterns are being worked on to ensure everything matches up.

The key would be to create a leaner,. Stronger, more flexible physique that doesn't require huge amounts of mass and can be maintained without needing excessive hours in the gym. It's easily doable.

Great stuff. As a professional you did a better job explaining than I did. What you just identified is exactly what we do. Ground up focus is fundamental. I think most golfers don't understand the role the big muscles play. Most notably, if you study good players at impact you see that they have posted on the lead leg, and fired the glutes like the top of a squat. So, we concentrate a fair amount on those complex groups and movements. Upper strength is also key, but I think it's the upper back and shoulders, and mobility through them, that are most important for golf. Of course, balance is key so we work on chest and arms as well.

I totally agree re: getting a swing coach involved and that it's doable. 3 hours a week of working out may not fit everyone's schedule. But one could get a lot of the same results with only 1-2 hours of actual gym work and another 15 minutes a day of dynamic stretching.

albatross2

Visit site
A lot on here talk about getting fit but it never lasts long.

Well done you though for your commitment,because that’s basically all you need.

It sounds like your actually doing a lot more than just exercise for golf.
For golf I would say flexibility over strength would be the number one priority as you get older.
Having a solid base is key though,so legs,glutes and lower back would be a good base imo.

Thanks for the kudos. Wasn't looking for them but I'll totally take it. I think you're dead on. That said, while I would take flexibility over strength, I drastically prefer both. The power drop from age comes from both declining strength and declining flexibility. One of the keys I've identified is that you can continue to develop strength as you age. At least through the 50's and into the 60's, it's not unreasonable to manage muscle mass and maintain or grow strength.

My only clarification/addition to you your last point would be to add core, and replace 'lower back' with upper back. In my experience lower back pain is often about lack of pelvic mobility and lack of core strength. Those two can lead to some seriously wacky compensation.

albatross2

Visit site
I asked similar questions of myself about 15month ago. I wanted to know how I could work my body better in the golf swing without hitting the gym 3/4 times a week as that doesn’t interest me one bit. I came across an online program which I knew about the previous year but didn’t do anything about it.

An offer came through on fb for $99 and I signed up to Tathata Golf. I’ve been doing over the past year on and off and have found it very interesting in his thought process and how from a martial art perspective about the golf swing, but more importantly the use of the body for speed, strength and being grounded. I get coached as well but I do incorporate TG into my swing. I thought what the hell ‘activating glutes’ what’s that about? Boy have I found out. It’s changed my perspective on the golf swing a lot and references are made to a lot of the past greats, Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan and Mickey Walker.

There is a lot of material in the program and his thoughts on how to play uneven lies is something else. But most of all there isn’t any weights or exercise equipment to be had, it’s all about training the body to be better than before.

Great thought with Tathata. I'll definitely consider ponying up for that. I get that weights aren't for everyone. For me, I recognized that my body could substantively improve. Notably, I really lacked developed muscle mass (was never a big guy). Like Wolf said above, working the big muscles also produces growth hormone and testosterone. Those help a lot with aging. So, I committed to a broader physical change. But Tathata looks terrific too.

Wolf

Visit site
Thanks for the kudos. Wasn't looking for them but I'll totally take it. I think you're dead on. That said, while I would take flexibility over strength, I drastically prefer both. The power drop from age comes from both declining strength and declining flexibility. One of the keys I've identified is that you can continue to develop strength as you age. At least through the 50's and into the 60's, it's not unreasonable to manage muscle mass and maintain or grow strength.

My only clarification/addition to you your last point would be to add core, and replace 'lower back' with upper back. In my experience lower back pain is often about lack of pelvic mobility and lack of core strength. Those two can lead to some seriously wacky compensation.
From a professional stand point never neglect the lower back or focus upper over it, should treat it with equal importance if not more so. The erector spinae, illiopsoas and multifidus are crucially important muscles for longevity in golf and life along with the fact there are several smaller muscle fibres attached to it I won't name as there are to many that form a part of the core muscles. Many people assume core is just the Abs area, but is so much more the core is rectus abdominus, transverse abdonminus, obliques, the psoas major muscles and more so you need to work lower back equally with the abs to create a strong and flexible core. Especially in golf if your going to squat and neglect these your going to get lower back pain. Equally lower back work in conjunction with hamstrings is key due to muscle insertion points and the way they synergistically work together in everyday life.

So whilst your lower back issues may be partially due to pelvic mobility because of tight hip flexor and IT band, I'd also say you're neglecting working the muscles I've mentioned in conjuction with hamstrings which are greater areas of concern to improve lower back issues, by focusing on upper rather than lower you'll make a problem much worse..

I'd recommend adding in something like glute bridges, hip thrusters, rack pulls and dorsal raises.

albatross2

Visit site
From a professional stand point never neglect the lower back or focus upper over it, should treat it with equal importance if not more so. The erector spinae, illiopsoas and multifidus are crucially important muscles for longevity in golf and life along with the fact there are several smaller muscle fibres attached to it I won't name as there are to many that form a part of the core muscles. Many people assume core is just the Abs area, but is so much more the core is rectus abdominus, transverse abdonminus, obliques, the psoas major muscles and more so you need to work lower back equally with the abs to create a strong and flexible core. Especially in golf if your going to squat and neglect these your going to get lower back pain. Equally lower back work in conjunction with hamstrings is key due to muscle insertion pointa and the way they synergistically work together in everyday life.

So whilst your lower back issues may be partially due to pelvic mobility because of tight hip flexor and IT band, I'd also say you're neglecting working the muscles I've mention in conjuction with hamstrings which are greater areas of concern to improve lower back issues, by focusing on upper rather than lower you'll make a problem much worse..

I'd recommend adding in something like glute bridges, hip thrusters, rack pulls and dorsal raises.

My amateurism shines. Indeed, I never meant to suggest to ignore the lower back. In fact, I did glute bridges and three sets of hip thrusters today (along with dead bugs, spiderman, inverted bench rows, bench presses, 1/2 kneeling landmine presses...). While I could still be totally wrong, I really just meant to suggest that many folks assume that their lower back pain is definitely a lower back problem, when in fact the pain is symptomatic of other parts NOT acting synergistically. I now further amend my amendment of pokerjoke's comment and simply remove 'lower' from lower back.

It would be terrific if you could follow me around and help me get things right more often. ;-)

Wolf

Visit site
My amateurism shines. Indeed, I never meant to suggest to ignore the lower back. In fact, I did glute bridges and three sets of hip thrusters today (along with dead bugs, spiderman, inverted bench rows, bench presses, 1/2 kneeling landmine presses...). While I could still be totally wrong, I really just meant to suggest that many folks assume that their lower back pain is definitely a lower back problem, when in fact the pain is symptomatic of other parts NOT acting synergistically. I now further amend my amendment of pokerjoke's comment and simply remove 'lower' from lower back.

It would be terrific if you could follow me around and help me get things right more often. ;-)

The synergy of muscles is where lots go wrong so your right to point that out. Many assume a pain is the direct cause of that specific area when in fact it is usually because other muscles are either under developed, to tight or not firing correctly.

Which many laughed at when Tiger said his glutes weren't firing but in fact he was right they weren't but that was because of other weakness he had.

Keep doing what your, you're definitely on the right path for longevity.