Advice needed

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s been a while since my last post so Hi to any old timers who remember me.

I’m looking at either Project X 6.5 or DG S300 for my new set of irons but need more I do.

I am not gen’d up on spec so can anyone tell me the differences in laymen’s terms ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In very general terms the S300 are a flatter trajectory and a heavier shaft.

6.5 will be stiffer than an X flex TT if my memory is correct. 6.0 will be nearer to a S300.

Personally i prefer the feel and performance of a S300 over a PX but thats my preference.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PX 6.5 is generally considered to be Xtra Stiff. S300 is a solid shaft but not as stiff. S300 has a low launch but mid spin, so you get that rising flight. S300 is butt relatively softish but tip firm. PX tends to have a higher (but still not that high) launch but with a flatter penetrating trajectory due to a fairly solid feeling through the whole shaft.

If you are getting back in to golf after a while away, I would suggest a fitting, at least a few swings on a Mizuno shaft optimiser which will give a shaft recommendation. Don't ignore other good shaft brands such as KBS, which has a wide range of shafts for good players widely used on Tour, and Nippon, whose Modus shafts are also played a lot on tour.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In very general terms the S300 are a flatter trajectory and a heavier shaft.

6.5 will be stiffer than an X flex TT if my memory is correct. 6.0 will be nearer to a S300.

Personally i prefer the feel and performance of a S300 over a PX but thats my preference.
I concur! Well almost.
PX6.0 would still feel stiffer than S300 imo. PX5.5 is probably closer, but still rather boardy feeling imo.
FWIW, PX have actually 'gone out of fashion' somewhat - replaced by KBS Tours/C-Tapers. Kim Brady designed the PXs and created KBS. The KBS Tours feel quite similar (certainly much more than PXs) to TT. Only had a few hits of C-Tapers and that was a long time ago. I believe they were a 'modernised' PX, but could be wildly wrong.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I concur! Well almost.
PX6.0 would still feel stiffer than S300 imo. PX5.5 is probably closer, but still rather boardy feeling imo.
FWIW, PX have actually 'gone out of fashion' somewhat - replaced by KBS Tours/C-Tapers. Kim Brady designed the PXs and created KBS. The KBS Tours feel quite similar (certainly much more than PXs) to TT. Only had a few hits of C-Tapers and that was a long time ago. I believe they were a 'modernised' PX, but could be wildly wrong.

Rory still uses PX, 7.0, I think.

I thought the original KBS Tour was said to be the shaft Braly wanted to design at PX. I have always liked C-taper, it feels rather dull and inert, but the ball comes off very nicely and pretty straight.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought the original KBS Tour was said to be the shaft Braly wanted to design at PX. I have always liked C-taper, it feels rather dull and inert, but the ball comes off very nicely and pretty straight.
I believe that's the case too. And indeed Braly, not Brady! Doh!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s been a while since my last post so Hi to any old timers who remember me.

I’m looking at either Project X 6.5 or DG S300 for my new set of irons but need more I do.

I am not gen’d up on spec so can anyone tell me the differences in laymen’s terms ?

Welcome back, been a while since the good old days of the England V Scotland matches.