Shaft advise

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok guys maybe one of yous can help.

Basically I have a set of 716cbs and tmb 2-4iron.

All on DG s300 shafts 130gram if I remember right.

And tbh now I finding that am down alot of distance. This is a combination of age (in 40s now) and a bad ankle break a couple of years ago means am hitting a 5 iron from like 165 now.

Anyways I tested out a mates set of cobra forged tec irons today. They were nice but the soles are not for me. So the conclusion for me is maybe if I changed the shafts on the CBs I might gain even 10yards again.

So my question is what shafts would you recommend to someone on the way out from likes of DG s300.

I don't really have a pro to go to for iron shafts only. Basically id have to pay for a new fitting and of course that means committing possibly to a new set of irons that I can't afford

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd give project x LZ 5.5, they are 115g. I've used S300 before but switched to Ctaper 120, but with age I'm late 50 and drop in Club head speed prompted a change from blades with stout shafts to something much softer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you cannot do it for yourself, given the cost of having shafts changed by a pro I would just buy new to you clubs.

You can look at the cost of new shafts on somewhere like Gamola Golf add in cost of new grips then add the pro.

E.G https://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/true-temper-dynamic-gold-120-taper-iron-shaft-p12473 £55 grip £10 fitting £10- £20 a club

You may be able find to find the same club with a reg shaft on ebay ot other website if you want to stick with stiff the AMT might be a good alternative.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nippon Modus 120 might be worth a look.
Worth trying it first if you can as they don't suit everyone.
Lots of sets have them as standard fit.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd give project x LZ 5.5, they are 115g. I've used S300 before but switched to Ctaper 120, but with age I'm late 50 and drop in Club head speed prompted a change from blades with stout shafts to something much softer.
Yea I feel I don't have the club head speed no more for these shafts but I feel I can hit the cb irons better than something more forgiving. (Wider sole)

Also I like to work around the green with 7-pw can't do that with big thick soles (well I can't) lol

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you cannot do it for yourself, given the cost of having shafts changed by a pro I would just buy new to you clubs.

You can look at the cost of new shafts on somewhere like Gamola Golf add in cost of new grips then add the pro.

E.G https://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/true-temper-dynamic-gold-120-taper-iron-shaft-p12473 £55 grip £10 fitting £10- £20 a club

You may be able find to find the same club with a reg shaft on ebay ot other website if you want to stick with stiff the AMT might be a good alternative.
Yea I know what you mean. There is a local pro that would fit shafts for me I guess if I could take a punt on something to see if I git them at the right price

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nippon Modus 120 might be worth a look.
Worth trying it first if you can as they don't suit everyone.
Lots of sets have them as standard fit.
I might have a look about and check to see if anyone is selling pulled ones like these or the ones the guys listed above to try out

Another thing I was thinking about is paying for a fitting for new irons and see what shafts they give me and go from there ie the new CB irons. That way I can get the information I need for a small cost. Cause at the moment I don't know what I need in terms of shafts or head 😂

I looked at the caley irons they look decent for the money but you need to know what shaft to get on those as well ie stiff or reg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might have a look about and check to see if anyone is selling pulled ones like these or the ones the guys listed above to try out

Another thing I was thinking about is paying for a fitting for new irons and see what shafts they give me and go from there ie the new CB irons. That way I can get the information I need for a small cost. Cause at the moment I don't know what I need in terms of shafts or head 😂

I looked at the caley irons they look decent for the money but you need to know what shaft to get on those as well ie stiff or reg
Stick to the DG S300 but try and get some 105g .
130 g is a bit heavy and this might be the reason your losing length.

I have just changed to these and they are a great shaft.
Try if you can get to a driving range with a shop that lets you try clubs out is my advice.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't write of going to get fit...just explain you would like to keep the irons but get them re-shafted....

That's what happened to me and was fitted at Scott Gourlay in Edinburgh. Got fitted with some KBS Tour 90 regulars and still use them 12 years on....fitted them onto my Ping i15s.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have DG S300 105,s and find them very good. Definitely get more height and speed than the Nippon Modus 120 Tour I used before.
Most pro shops have demo irons where you can try different shafts.

Newnsy

Visit site
Go get fitted, might cost you a couple of quid to get a fitted but doesn't mean you need to buy the clubs. It will probably save you a few quid in the long run of just taking a guess on the right shaft.

The shafts make a massive difference and weight & Flex aren't the only factors, to take into consideration.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yea I feel I don't have the club head speed no more for these shafts but I feel I can hit the cb irons better than something more forgiving. (Wider sole)

Also I like to work around the green with 7-pw can't do that with big thick soles (well I can't) lol
I went full on shovels🤣

.I'd have a go on a mizuno shaft optimiser. 3 swings give a point of ref and 3 options I think.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Cobras you tried that your friend has are distance iron. Even new shafts in your old irons won’t get you near those yardages.

I didn't feel like I hit them well at all felt like there bounced of the grass kind of. I used jpx 800 pros, mp54s and currently on 716cbs. I honestly dont know how to hit these big sole jobs lol

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go get fitted, might cost you a couple of quid to get a fitted but doesn't mean you need to buy the clubs. It will probably save you a few quid in the long run of just taking a guess on the right shaft.

The shafts make a massive difference and weight & Flex aren't the only factors, to take into consideration.
Yea thinking about going and saying I want a fitting for the current cbs and see what they put me on. Think it's like 30 in local golf shop

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice alot to think about and some shaft options

I might ring for a iron fitting and try out the newest CB offering from Titleist and see what shafts they fit me in.

Maybe am no longer even a stiff shaft lol god knows but maybe worth paying for fitting to get that info

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice alot to think about and some shaft options

I might ring for a iron fitting and try out the newest CB offering from Titleist and see what shafts they fit me in.

Maybe am no longer even a stiff shaft lol god knows but maybe worth paying for fitting to get that info
Yes get your spec and off to eBay for a look.