Advice needed on which clubs to buy

The Captain

Visit site
Hi

I am looking for some help and advice on what equipment to buy please.

I am a newcomer to golf, I’ve had five 30 minute lessons to try to get a rough idea of the basic fundamentals. I would really like to purchase some half decent clubs that allow me a chance to learn and develop my game over coming years.

I think it would be sensible to buy game improver clubs. I would prefer not to spend big money, so I am looking for good value wherever possible. I will need everything, clubs, bag, shoes, etc. I am only really looking for help on the clubs side, how much value can I really add to my game with a bag and shoes?! (though I’m sure you can spend a pretty penny on these!!) For all of my equipment in total, I would hope £500 would be enough to get started with decent quality bargains, without going silly.

As an example, I started to look at irons and thought that the Wilson staff d-100 (available at £186.75 for 5-SW) looked good value and seem to have some strong reviews in the game improver category.

I don’t want a driver yet (I’m thinking I would struggle with it for a while) unless people think it may be a wise choice. I am very much hoping for advice on the specific make up of my golf clubs

Hopefully this gives people enough background information to offer me some help and guidance

Thanks so much for any help, it is genuinely appreciated as it’s all a bit of a minefield!

Cheers

The Captain

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
I would go for second hand you will get much better value for you money, I have just brought a set of Mizuno JPX 850's 7 months old no dings or marks for £270 sold my old JPX EZ's for £175 so £95 to upgrade and boy what a difference I love them.
As Grieve14 said can't go wrong with the full set up in classified section but not sure if the irons would suit you being a newbee

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Hmmm, not really sure a set of Nike forged blades are the way to start :eek:

Have a look at 'game improver' sets like the Ping G ranges, plenty of Callaways, Taylormade etc. Basically anything with a nice big cavity in the back of the irons. You should find plenty of good stuff on sites like Golfbidder for £100-150. Add in a sand wedge, reasonable putter and a 3 wood. You are ready to go. Plenty of cheap bags to be found on ebay, Sports Direct etc. Worth paying for decent shoes, after all you will be walking 6 or 7 miles per round in them everytime you play.

Enjoy :thup:

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi

I am a newcomer to golf, I’ve had five 30 minute lessons to try to get a rough idea of the basic fundamentals. I would really like to purchase some half decent clubs that allow me a chance to learn and develop my game over coming years.

I think it would be sensible to buy game improver clubs. I would prefer not to spend big money, so I am looking for good value wherever possible. I will need everything, clubs, bag, shoes, etc. I am only really looking for help on the clubs side, how much value can I really add to my game with a bag and shoes?! (though I’m sure you can spend a pretty penny on these!!) For all of my equipment in total, I would hope £500 would be enough to get started with decent quality bargains, without going silly.

As an example, I started to look at irons and thought that the Wilson staff d-100 (available at £186.75 for 5-SW) looked good value and seem to have some strong reviews in the game improver category.

I don’t want a driver yet (I’m thinking I would struggle with it for a while) unless people think it may be a wise choice. I am very much hoping for advice on the specific make up of my golf clubs

Hopefully this gives people enough background information to offer me some help and guidance

Thanks so much for any help, it is genuinely appreciated as it’s all a bit of a minefield!

Cheers

The Captain

Right, I have only been playing for 6 months my self. I initially purchased a second hand set of Dunlop clubs and a bag for £60. This got me going, and although I am still pretty crap compared to most people on here, I am now playing close to my official handicap of 28. I decided it was time to step up, but my budget was a lot less than yours, and I really don't think you need to spend as much as £500. I bought a brand new £140 bag on ebay for £11.50. I bought a £300 set of Benross improver irons for £90, also from ebay. I got a really nice 1.5 ball mallet putter for £15 (guess where from), and a taylormade R15 driver from a mate of a mate. A 3 wheel push trolley will cost about £35/£40. Also look on ebay for shoes, there are some real bargains to be had on quality brands. I managed to get a brand new pare of footjoys for £15. Apart from a few balls etc, you can be set up for no more than half what you have stated, and still have bought good quality gear. You now have £250 left to have a holiday and buy get some lessons.

When I started I was afraid of using the driver also, but after having a lesson, I realised it was by far the hardest club to use, so yes, get yourself a driver. As far as drivers go, get a second hand quality one, this will definitely pay off.

Last edited:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go on golfbidder.co.uk and look at some ping g10/15/20's irons or even come callaway x22's and then a G5/10 driver and any old putter. For £500 you will easy cover what you need and then some!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Hi

Cheers

The Captain

If you want to simplify it then go for as modern as you can from the Ping G range. They tend to hold their value better than other manufacturers so they may not appear to be as much as a bargain as others. But they are generally acknowledged as being the most consistently forgiving range over the years. Having said that any club really in the past 3 or 4 years from any manufacturers game improver range will be there or there abouts. Not sure if these will be out of your price range? http://www.mygolfspy.com/best-game-improvement-irons-2015/

Also hybrids would be a good call between a 5 iron (which is probably as low as you need to go in irons) and any fairway woods. With regards to fairway woods 5 woods are a good versatile club to have. 3 woods are great but a lot nowadays are made to hit off the deck. Great if you can do it, but they are tricky to hit off the deck of you are just starting and a 5 wood offers more help. As for drivers then you can pick up very good ones which are a couple of models back in manufacturers ranges for 100 notes now. A lot are horses for courses, but Cobra Fly Z is a good forgiving modern driver if you can see one in your price range.

Also agree with the comment about shoes, you will be walking several miles every time you play so a good comfortable pair of golf shoes does make the experience a whole lot more pleasurable.

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hmmm, not really sure a set of Nike forged blades are the way to start :eek:

Have a look at 'game improver' sets like the Ping G ranges, plenty of Callaways, Taylormade etc. Basically anything with a nice big cavity in the back of the irons. You should find plenty of good stuff on sites like Golfbidder for £100-150. Add in a sand wedge, reasonable putter and a 3 wood. You are ready to go. Plenty of cheap bags to be found on ebay, Sports Direct etc. Worth paying for decent shoes, after all you will be walking 6 or 7 miles per round in them everytime you play.

Enjoy :thup:

Not questioning the facts but is it really 6 or 7 miles?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not questioning the facts but is it really 6 or 7 miles?

From the time you put your shoes on to the time you take them off again, I think it will be further than you think. A 6500 yard course is 3.8 miles, add in the walks between greens and tees, criss crossing fairways, looking for balls, putting your bag at the side of the greens then walking around looking at your putts etc and it all mounts up. Obviously you can bring this down a bit if you hit it straight or don't look for your PP's balls :whistle:

A guy from my place wore a pedometer round Remedy Oak and clocked up 7 miles.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Few years ago I bought a second hand set of Ping G10's for £300 and traded them 2 years later for £270. Spend £200 on new lesser branded clubs and in 2 years they will be worth next to nothing. Oh, and the Pings would be better clubs in the meantime too. For Ping you could substitute any of the main brands but as a beginner, Ping are as good as any. It's nice to have new, but once you've hit them a few times they are second hand anyway and there's no Reg Plate giving the game away like with cars :D. Same principle for woods etc. Best option is to find a big shop attached to a driving range and try as many as you can first.....they will usually let you try second hand without taping up etc.

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
From the time you put your shoes on to the time you take them off again, I think it will be further than you think. A 6500 yard course is 3.8 miles, add in the walks between greens and tees, criss crossing fairways, looking for balls, putting your bag at the side of the greens then walking around looking at your putts etc and it all mounts up. Obviously you can bring this down a bit if you hit it straight or don't look for your PP's balls :whistle:

A guy from my place wore a pedometer round Remedy Oak and clocked up 7 miles.

That will definitely help my arguments with my other half regarding the excercise benefits of golf. Good answer to the question "why do you play so much golf?"

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That will definitely help my arguments with my other half regarding the excercise benefits of golf. Good answer to the question "why do you play so much golf?"

I have a pair of trainer golf shoes for when it is warm and dry, a pair of footjoys for the spring, and a pair of HiTec DriTecs for the winter. The HiTecs I bought on ebay from a bloke who had worn them twice, before he realised he bought the wrong size. Apart from being waterproof, they are probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, and I mean any shoes, not just the golf sort. Even new, my local golf club sells them for under £30.