Advice from Club Fitting

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had an interesting comment today at a club fitting. (does not matter where)

I was going through gapping for a new set of wedges, I told the fitter that normally for 75 yards I play a nice smooth 3/4 50° wedge and normally do not consider a full shot with a wedge below this distance. Keeping with the nice smooth 3/4 or 1/2 swing with my different wedges for differing distances.

I was then informed this was wrong and I should be hitting a full shot here after explaining I went for accuracy and was more accurate with a smooth 3/4 or 1/2 swing. I was again told I should not be thinking of half swings etc. as these would be less accurate distance wise to full shots.

In fairness I gave up was not going to argue, got my gaps and wedges and left thanking the fitter for his time.

I always thought the answer was what got the ball nearest the pin the most consistently, just seemed an odd comment to me.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think thats a very arrogant view from a fitter and would personally ignore it

May not do any harm to have an hour or two on a simulator, maybe hit some full shots and then some 3/4 and 1/2 shots and see how your dispersion varies but ultimately would stick with what youve got and go and find a different fitter for your wedges

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair, if you're hitting less than full shot you're manufacturing something whereas if you're hitting a normal "full" shot it ought to be more natural.
Having said that if it works don't knock it

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
See my pro told me the complete opposite to that. He told me to control the swing and take a lower lofted club and get the flight down. When I take my 56 and hit a full shot it goes so high its hard to control, would rather take my 50 and flight a low one in with a shorter swing.