Advice for Edinburgh trip

Visit site
Hi All
I'm over in Edinburgh 10th - 20th August to visit my elderly father and planning some golf. Its likely I will play the Braids and use the AG Braids driving range while I'm over but as I have a bit of freedom time-wise I have a few queries about what else I could do

1. Planning to play an Edinburgh course with my (nomad) brother during the week 13-17 - will have to be a twilight type tee-off (4.30 + PM) for him so where to play (easy access from Southside). He was a member at Prestonfield some years back - is that a good choice? - any other (non-municipals) we could consider?

2. I have a starter set (Wilson Ultra) in Edinburgh - I switched partly because I needed a set here in Italy (+ I hated how I hit the woods/hybrid). Is it best to bring my playing set with me or - as i'm essentially still an occasional player (though now playing most weeks) should I bring my 'playing set' with me (relatively easy)

3. If I bring my clubs - is it worthwhile to have one of these trackman sessions at AG - for gapping/ distances etc (not to buy other alternatives!!). Never done (or considered) anything like this before.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Iain

DCB

Visit site
Prestonfield is a nice course as is Craigmillar Park, both on South side of City. Other courses that should be able to fit in a twighlight round would be Baberton, Merchants or Kingsknowe. All South or West side of City.

Braids is in fast running nick at the moment. Greens are nice though as they had lots of water in the dry spell. A short drive East to Gullane could see you on Gullane No3 for an evening round, still enough light to get round there no problem.

Clubs is down to preference IMO. Is it worth travelling with clubs when you have a set in Edinburgh ?

And as far as AG is concerned, I'd not go there, Scott Gourlay Golf up at Swanston would be the place to go, but, as an occassional player, is it worth the money ?

Hope that helps.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Braids is virtually a 'must play' for any visitor to Edinburgh! The views alone make it thoroughly worth playing and some pretty unique holes!

Prestonfield is ok, but nothing special imo, only a small step up from the (very good) munis. Duddingston and Mortonhall are both nearby and much better imo.

But it would be a real shame to be in Edinburgh and not experience links courses!

Gullane probably does a twilight for a very reasonable cost! And any of the 3 there are great - #2 is my favourite though.

Not worth the effort of lugging your own clubs over imo. Nor worth getting an assessment unless you are planning to change - but that's purely my opinion.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
1. Sorry - don't know the area well enough. Definitely check tee off times / golf now websites for purchasing tee times.

2. Nah, just play with your old clubs and make the most of it.

3. Again, just go and play.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can recommend Scott Gourley he's very nice chap, but I think you need to book in advance.

On August 20th, 8 of us are playing Old Musselburgh 9 hole links course on the Sunday mid day then Royal Musselburgh later in the afternoon, using our Golf Show free tickets.

DCB

Visit site
I can recommend Scott Gourley he's very nice chap, but I think you need to book in advance.

On August 20th, 8 of us are playing Old Musselburgh 9 hole links course on the Sunday mid day then Royal Musselburgh later in the afternoon, using our Golf Show free tickets.

If you are into your golf history, Musselburgh Old Course has to be on your radar. Only 9 holes, but,. steeped in the history of the game.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are into your golf history, Musselburgh Old Course has to be on your radar. Only 9 holes, but,. steeped in the history of the game.

I know Bob the starter, he's told me all about it umpteen times lol.
He's actually playing along with us at Royal Musselburgh.:cheers:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I see Musselburgh Old rent out hickory's. Really tempted to do it just for the experience, just the cost of the rental is putying me off.