Advice for a course in Surrey where visitors are accepted on the weekend

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

i have recently moved to Surbiton and am looking for a good course to play with a work collegue nearby. I have checked out some of the better courses within or close to the M25 or A3 and all of the established courses are closed to visitors on the weekend.

I have checked out TeeOffTimes and nothing really jumps out as "quality" apart from Kingswood but that's £50 after 12:00!

Any courses I may not be aware of or recommendations would be appreciated - cheers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi,

i have recently moved to Surbiton and am looking for a good course to play with a work collegue nearby. I have checked out some of the better courses within or close to the M25 or A3 and all of the established courses are closed to visitors on the weekend.

I have checked out TeeOffTimes and nothing really jumps out as "quality" apart from Kingswood but that's £50 after 12:00!

Any courses I may not be aware of or recommendations would be appreciated - cheers.

Hoebridge

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers Homer,

Spent the last 20mins looking at their home page and related reviews - seems like a great option at a very decent rate.

Thanks.

any others?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Silvermere worth a look. Hoebridge a better overall 18, Silvermere has a couple of more 'standout' holes but the mid-section of the course is quite repetitive.

Either way, sign up to both sites - you'll get some decent offers from time to time. We had a 4-ball for £96 including bacon roll and a coffee at Hoebridge on a Sunday a few weeks back. Otherwise, as the light gets better, if you're happy to play twilight just get on the phone and ask, most clubs will do a deal.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you are heading to Hoebridge have a look at Pyrford too. Silvermere a bit boggy in places but ok although gets pretty slow at weekends (although Hoebridge can be too)

If Silvermere happens to be be boggy at the time I would bet Pyrford is boggier! Pyrford a nice enough track but not sure I'd pay £50 for weekend am tee time. If OP is willing to play after 12 I would be calling up Pro Shops.

Agree Silvermere and Hoebridge can be slow at weekends, but that's to be expected with half decent pay and play courses.

There is also Traditions next door to Pyrford, not a personal favourite from my limited experience (very wet), but I've heard its better in summer.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for your advice - from what i have read Hoebridge seems like a very good option at a decent price.

I have played Silvermere and thought it was a fairly average track which gets very busy on the weekend. The lad i am playing with is coming down from Manchester and when we have played up there he always manges to sort out a really good course for us. I am hoping to return the favour but the exclusivity of the memebrs courses around my area make getting on a decent course on a weekend very difficult.

Maybe i will email some places and see if they have any availability for a post 12 o'clock tee time on a Sunday - can't hurt to ask i guess?

matchrat

Medal Winner
Visit site
You could look at Clandon Regis - A Bit further down the a3 My home course Bramley and even further down the a3 Liphook will all take vistors PM on the weekend as long as there are no comps on.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surbiton, very much my stomping ground!!

I would tend to agree with the suggestion of Hoebridge. I have played Silvermere on numerous occasions and I enjoy the first 6 holes and the final 2 are a good laugh but the middle can get a little boring. It is also very slow at the weekend however most of the pay and plays do tend to be.

Another you could have a look at is Hampton Court GC if you struggle for tee times elsewhere.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
These are the courses I have played tonnes. People are suggesting the right ones to look at. If my opinion is worth anything, here you have it;

Hoebridge - very good value and a good course. Thoroughly recommend.

Silvermere - good opening and great finish. A bit bland in the middle. Can get busy but I do recommend.

Traditions - good course, lots of fun but only go when there has been good weather as it does get boggy.

Richmond park - both courses are fine. Nothing amazing but good fun and reasonably priced.

Hersham - short course, but perfect if you don't have a car.

Sunbury - 18 holes and 9 holes. Genuinely, don't bother. I play the 9 holes when I don't have time for anything else. It is below average.

Mitcham - if you don't have a car, it is a good option. It's alright, better than average for sure and usually in great nick. It drains incredibly well, so good for poor weather.

Enjoy the courses as there are plenty to choose from. If you find a gem I haven't mentioned, please let me know!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surbiton, very much my stomping ground!!

Which part? Spent a lot of my teens and early twenties getting very drunk in and around Surbiton. I guess as other options very close to that neck of the woods you have Sandown Park (9 holes in the middle of the racecourse) Thames Ditton and Esher (9 holes but you play it from different tee boxes on each nine)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which part? Spent a lot of my teens and early twenties getting very drunk in and around Surbiton. I guess as other options very close to that neck of the woods you have Sandown Park (9 holes in the middle of the racecourse) Thames Ditton and Esher (9 holes but you play it from different tee boxes on each nine)

I used to live in Surbiton up until a couple of years ago, had a flat right by the train station, moved a couple of stops further out to Walton on Thames due to the cost of houses in Surbiton!! Loved living so close though, a good number of boozers and eateries in a fairly short staggering distance of home!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to live in Surbiton up until a couple of years ago, had a flat right by the train station, moved a couple of stops further out to Walton on Thames due to the cost of houses in Surbiton!! Loved living so close though, a good number of boozers and eateries in a fairly short staggering distance of home!

Wouldn't have thought WoT was all that differently priced from Surbiton! Slightly different style perhaps, but proximity to 'posh' Weybridge bumps the prices up in that area!

As for courses at weekends...Pine Ridge is another nice layout that drains extremely well. Another potential 5+ hour round though - and transport required. I'd opt for Mitcham if transport is a problem though.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wouldn't have thought WoT was all that differently priced from Surbiton! Slightly different style perhaps, but proximity to 'posh' Weybridge bumps the prices up in that area!

You'd be surprised! If you want a house with a garden in Surbiton the prices are ridiculous unless you end up in Berrylands, Chessington or Tolworth type areas, the station just means that such properties are at a premium. We found that by going down to Walton there was a much larger pool of properties within our price range that didn't mean living in a not so nice area.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks alot for all your advice and recommendations. Ive checked out all of the courses which are unfamiliar to me. Transport isn't an issue for me, so i have been looking a little further afield. Three courses which caught my eye, two of which feature on the GM next Top 100 courses - West Surrey, The Addington and Foxhills (all are around the £50 mark for a Sunday at 12:00).

Any preferences from that list? If not, i'll probably go for either Hoebridge or Pryford.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh and i did email about 12 of the more exclusive courses in the area and asked about availability for visitors after 12:00. Had 8 replies so far all of which start something like this

"Thanks for your enquiry but unfortunately.........................."

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You'd be surprised! If you want a house with a garden in Surbiton the prices are ridiculous unless you end up in Berrylands, Chessington or Tolworth type areas, the station just means that such properties are at a premium. We found that by going down to Walton there was a much larger pool of properties within our price range that didn't mean living in a not so nice area.

Yep. That's the 'slightly different style' I mentioned. Nice area for Golf Clubs though - New Zealand, SGH, Burhill! :whistle: