Advice for a course in Surrey where visitors are accepted on the weekend

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
You could also consider Woldingham - pretty easy, open course set in two valleys.
Westerham - parkland course, very picturesque and definitely a good course to consider.

The Addington - which you have mentioned - I've played it many times. It is a good challenge, not the most picturesque by any stretch of the imagination but I know many people who rave about it.

Out of the three.
If you want a nice and easy course, choose Woldingham.
If you want something that is going to test your golf, choose the Addington.
If you want something in the middle, choose Westerham.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can vouch for that - Homer would have two bottles of Diamond White and would start singing the Blackadder song about a little goblin.

I was thinking more of the nights in the Southampton next door to the station and the Railway Tavern at the top of the hill. Many good nights in there so I've been told. Some great bands in the Southampton and Hooligan (Hurliman) lager on draft

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started playing at Hampton Court in the late 80s when it was Home Park GC , you could tee off at first light after the park police opened the gates. There used to be a row of cars back over Kingston bridge. Used to pay the pro on the walk to the 9th. lovely course, in the Deer park with great views of the palace. I have very fond memories of playing there with my Dad.
I keep promising myself a return,
if it is anything like it was, then well worth a look.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started playing at Hampton Court in the late 80s when it was Home Park GC , you could tee off at first light after the park police opened the gates. There used to be a row of cars back over Kingston bridge. Used to pay the pro on the walk to the 9th. lovely course, in the Deer park with great views of the palace. I have very fond memories of playing there with my Dad.
I keep promising myself a return,
if it is anything like it was, then well worth a look.

Got a feeling MikeH (GM Editor) was a member there for a while

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Silvermere is awful, a handful of good holes, but in terrible condition most year round and at 40 per round, way over priced. Surrey national is not bad, woldingham is an open field, you couldnt lose a ball if you tried. But, all that being said, playing on a Saturday and not being a member...the pickings are slim. About 30 minutes drive would be Bletchingley, they allow members on the weekend and I think it's in far better shape than most of the courses mentioned on this thread. Bramley was good fun as well.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm biased, as a member of Westerham, but it's a really good course. They're redoing 8th green at present, so I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it over Bletchingley at present. However, once it's all open again... Wow!

I never enjoy Woldingham as there's too many sloping lies.

The Addington is raved about , and I enjoy it every now and again, but certainly couldn't play it every week.