Advantages for the flag being left in / out ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Flag in is very much the norm for me and folks I play with. When I do get paired with someone who likes it out before I've putted I wont bother putting it back

(I rarely see anyone taking the flags out on the practice greens, that's what I've practiced on so its no problem playing with the same set up on the course)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Touching the flag means you could be spreading Corona Virus.

Is this true or are flagsticks immune now?

Has the virus been spreading in a disproportionate way among the golfing community since touching flagsticks has been allowed?

Obtaining facts is so very difficult.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played one course with these.....NICE. One argument against is that in really windy areas they aren't "tough" enough. No idea myself....but I would think if you make them out of the right material they would be fine.....or, you could just make them a little shorter (less effect from the wind)......but then people would complain that they can't play with shorter flags because they can't play unless the flags are 57 feet high. Granted, some hilly courses might benefit from taller flags....mine wouldn't have a problem.

Skinny bottom flags.....(y)(y)(y)(y)

Not, they do better in the wind. The key at the bottom is thicker and engages better than a standard pin.
I bit more flex at the bottom helps too.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Flag out, seen plenty of putts bounce out of the hole when they’ve hit the flag that would have likely dropped in had the flag not been there.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nothing to do with LIV V’s PGAT but I read that a PGAT flagstick is ½ inch width top to bottom
I noticed on both LIV events so far they used the step-down stick shown in the pic posted earlier (and both are different to a USGA flagstick)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Touching the flag means you could be spreading Corona Virus.

Is this true or are flagsticks immune now?

Has the virus been spreading in a disproportionate way among the golfing community since touching flagsticks has been allowed?

Obtaining facts is so very difficult.
The idea of the virus being spread by touch is less prevalent than it was at the beginning. They believe it is mainly spread by airborne transmission.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A completely non scientific answer, from my own experience. I have had far more putts lip out when the flag is out, than bounce off the pin with the flag in.
If a putt lips out, it's gone nowhere near the centre of the hole and will lip out whether the pin is in or out, since it wouldn't have touched the pin anyway.
Personally, I leave it in, I prefer the pin as my target, it's smaller than the hole, and gives a bigger reward when I hit the target correctly.
Contrary to most players, the time I most want the flag in is on shortish putts (3/4 footers) with no break. I like to give it a bit of pace and clatter the ball against the pin. I think having a smaller target (the pin rather than the hole) helps.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
If a putt lips out, it's gone nowhere near the centre of the hole and will lip out whether the pin is in or out, since it wouldn't have touched the pin anyway.
Contrary to most players, the time I most want the flag in is on shortish putts (3/4 footers) with no break. I like to give it a bit of pace and clatter the ball against the pin. I think having a smaller target (the pin rather than the hole) helps.

yep, and yep.

I realize that a lip out without the pin in is an off centre putt, that's exactly why I like the pin in. The target is the centre of the hole, hit it, and the ball is most likely to drop in or wedge against the pin. I can be more positive in the stroke knowing that the pin will more than likely stop the ball if I hit it. Of course there are exceptions, hit it too hard and it might bounce away from the hole, I get that, but that has literally only happened to me twice that I recall since leaving the pin in. Although I did have a lip out last week with the pin in, the ball didn't touch it whilst running round the rim of the cup.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yip, all that don't touch anything, wipe down your shopping etc was nonsense surely?
So it seems. The nail in the coffin for it was a check on the London Underground where they swabbed various handrails, surfaces etc and found virtually no traces of covid. If you don't find germs there.................

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The idea of the virus being spread by touch is less prevalent than it was at the beginning. They believe it is mainly spread by airborne transmission.

Yes, it is mainly spread by airborne transmission, but that doesn't mean it isn't also spread by touch . But not as readily . Flu and other diseases have long been regarded as being able to be spread by touch.
Now, Covid is different??
When humans really want something they have an uncanny ability to change their beliefs ( and facts?), don't you think?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now't to do with flag in or out but interested in the comment of what you aim at
I try to aim at a specific point on the hole rim. No bigger than a match head really. I figure the smaller the target the better, and the less likely it'll drift by the hole than if I'd aimed at the whole hole

I aim at a point about 10 inches in front of the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, it is mainly spread by airborne transmission, but that doesn't mean it isn't also spread by touch . But not as readily . Flu and other diseases have long been regarded as being able to be spread by touch.
Now, Covid is different??
When humans really want something they have an uncanny ability to change their beliefs ( and facts?), don't you think?
I think touching a flag stick is the least of my worries. Every day people touch door handles, rails, products in shops, endless touching of various inanimate objects. Do they instantly go and wash their hands now after each contact? Do you take a out a golf flag stick and then lick your fingers? It isn't really an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it ends up resting on the flag, would you not just nudge the pole anyhow for the ball to drop to the bottom of the cup?

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As long as some part of the ball is below the level of the green then the ball is holed so you don't need to....
Fair enough (y) - I think I just do it automatically, probably because I was likely told years ago (incorrectly) that it isn't "holed" until it hits the bottom of the cup

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it ends up resting on the flag, would you not just nudge the pole anyhow for the ball to drop to the bottom of the cup?
As above, you don't need to as it's already deemed holed.

I still do it anyway. Doesn't everyone? It doesn't feel satisfying unless it actually hits the bottom of the cup does it? (y)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As above, you don't need to as it's already deemed holed.

I still do it anyway. Doesn't everyone? It doesn't feel satisfying unless it actually hits the bottom of the cup does it? (y)

Nah, I just grab it from the edge
(Ok I admit it, maybe there's even a tiny wee devilish part of me that wants another player to have a coughing fit telling me it isn't holed :sneaky:)