Advantages for the flag being left in / out ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've gone Flag Out for almost all putts - for the longest putts I no longer have it attended - I just leave it in.

I always tell my playing companion(s) on the 1st Green that I am almost always flag out. Just so they are aware from the start and we can putt accordingly (unless it's a match)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone Flag In for almost all putts - for the longest putts I no longer have it attended - I just leave it in.

I always tell my playing companion(s) on the 1st Green that I am almost always flag out. Just so they are aware from the start and we can putt accordingly (unless it's a match)
Does not compute...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does not compute...
Oops…I’m am confused by myself…corrected. Always Flag Out...except for when I have it in ?

Why? With flag in I think I was finding myself focussing more on hitting the middle of the hole than properly reading the break of the putt and sorting the ‘side‘ of the hole I was looking for the ball to drop in by.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A completely non scientific answer, from my own experience. I have had far more putts lip out when the flag is out, than bounce off the pin with the flag in. Personally, I leave it in, I prefer the pin as my target, it's smaller than the hole, and gives a bigger reward when I hit the target correctly.
Is, in my humble opinion, the correct answer (y)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Personally I leave it in. The number of putts I have seen bounce away in the time this was brought in has been minimal. In each case the ball was either hit too hard from close in, may not have dropped without the flag in anyway, or the pin was thick and the putt was hit firmly from relatively close. I will check the thickness of the pin and as long as it is not a chunky pin I leave it in.

I have noticed this year a clear move back to people removing the pin. It's slightly annoying after 2yrs plus of leaving it in and it undoubtedly does slow things a little. If they ask though..............and no, I don't do in out, in out etc. Once out I don't care enough to have it put back in.
Exactly this, I leave it in, but if someone before me takes it out, that's it out

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m flag in, I’ve just got used to it and if I play with someone who wants it out it puts me out of kilter. I played a full round with flag out recently and couldn’t hole for toffee.

I’m not 100% sure why. I think it’s partly because it focuses my mind on which side of the hole the ball will drop into, and also something easier to see from a distance. Short putts/tap ins I aim at the pin and hit it harder than needed, hits the pin and drops.

Albo

Visit site
I am now back to taking it out. I never got my head round leaving it in, always felt like I had to aim to one side of the hole or the other so as not to hit the pin, I have no idea why. The pic above of the thin pin, we have those at my home course but I still have flag out.

D

Deleted member 3432

I quite liked putting with the flag in when we had inserts which kept the flag centered.

Almost impossible now as its been too breezy all summer and flag is wobbling all over the place.

D

Deleted member 21445

Really don’t understand why more clubs don’t use these pins. It decreases the number of players who take the flag out dramatically.
View attachment 43309

Correct, the type of flag pole plays a big part for me and the way it's leaning, being blown by wind etc

All parameters that are different almost on a hole by hole basis so I can't see how you can say it's one way or the other as a defined answer..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me it is simple I would sooner be aiming at a 4.25" target than one less than 2".

However I often leave it in in social rounds where it does not matter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer putting with it in, especially on longer putts … but you need to make sure the flag is central so that, if the ball ends up against it, there is room for the ball to break the surface of the hole. Having said that, I would happily agree to the ball having been holed if it is “wedged against the flag” in match play or a social game.

If I think back I’ve had a few short putts that have just been wedged against the flag / hole and haven’t even dropped in.
QUOTE]

I hope you are both aware under the 2019 rule changes
13.2 c
Ball Resting against Flagstick in Hole
If a player’s ball comes to rest against the flagstick left in the hole:
• If any part of the ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green, the ball is treated as holed even if the entire ball is not below the surface.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really don’t understand why more clubs don’t use these pins. It decreases the number of players who take the flag out dramatically.
View attachment 43309

That's what we have, looks just like the picture I posted too.
I will putt with it in all the time unless someone has already had it removed, then I just get on with it.
For me, the small pin doesn't stop anything from dropping and helps focus your aim on shorter putts.

Mandofred

Visit site
View attachment 43309
Played one course with these.....NICE. One argument against is that in really windy areas they aren't "tough" enough. No idea myself....but I would think if you make them out of the right material they would be fine.....or, you could just make them a little shorter (less effect from the wind)......but then people would complain that they can't play with shorter flags because they can't play unless the flags are 57 feet high. Granted, some hilly courses might benefit from taller flags....mine wouldn't have a problem.

Skinny bottom flags.....(y)(y)(y)(y)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have noticed this year a clear move back to people removing the pin. It's slightly annoying after 2yrs plus of leaving it in and it undoubtedly does slow things a little. If they ask though..............and no, I don't do in out, in out etc. Once out I don't care enough to have it put back in.

I've noticed this too, pain in the proverbial at times, watching a 4 ball on the green in front putt with it in from distance, then walk up and take it out for the two footers..

Exactly this, I leave it in, but if someone before me takes it out, that's it out

I’m flag in, I’ve just got used to it and if I play with someone who wants it out it puts me out of kilter. I played a full round with flag out recently and couldn’t hole for toffee.

I’m not 100% sure why. I think it’s partly because it focuses my mind on which side of the hole the ball will drop into, and also something easier to see from a distance. Short putts/tap ins I aim at the pin and hit it harder than needed, hits the pin and drops.

I can putt with it out, if someone else wants it out, but like Tim, I then don't putt so well. I'm still convinced in my own mind that in is better, I feel more confident aiming at the pin, sure that it will drop if it hits. I'll either putt out first and remove the pin for everyone else, or putt last and get the pin put back in before I putt. My regular Friday partners are pretty used to it now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To me it is simple I would sooner be aiming at a 4.25" target than one less than 2".

However I often leave it in in social rounds where it does not matter.

Now't to do with flag in or out but interested in the comment of what you aim at
I try to aim at a specific point on the hole rim. No bigger than a match head really. I figure the smaller the target the better, and the less likely it'll drift by the hole than if I'd aimed at the whole hole