Admiting defeat...

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To get back to the OP, I think once you lose the love for a club it's very hard to get it back. Once that gnawing doubt is there it eats away at you.

That's the game for many of us. I switched to MP54s a while back from G15s and when I feel in control with my irons now it's like nothing I experienced before. Get it wrong and it's all wrong, but that's me, not the club. Having a smaller margin for error makes you focus more on the contact imo. It's a circular arguement from there but for me it comes down to what feels right and gives you confidence.

Don't disagree and if I had more time to practice to hone my skills I would probably stick with them but it's a big factor that I get to practice and play less nowadays so when I do play I want that extra bit of forgiveness and hopefully mean I hit more greens... time will tell though!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't disagree and if I had more time to practice to hone my skills I would probably stick with them but it's a big factor that I get to practice and play less nowadays so when I do play I want that extra bit of forgiveness and hopefully mean I hit more greens... time will tell though!

That is a factor, if more forgiving irons are going to give you more enjoyment when you do get out, then I think you may have made the call already. I wouldn't classify it as "admitting defeat" though, there's zero chance I'd be playing the clubs I have if I practiced/played less

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So after a season of poor iron play i have decided to revert back to GI irons... only had the AP2 6 months and when you hit them nice they feel great but just dont do it enough.

Had a go on trackman and the drop off on poor hits is incomparable between AP1 and AP2.

Initially went in with intention of AP3 but didnt hit them quite as nice either so better than AP2.

So a 6 month old set of AP2's going up very soon in FS section.

Has anyone else made the jump to players irons and regretted it? Did you find an improvement changing back?
I have had the complete opposite went from AP2 to ping G400 but the offset on these make me pull the ball 5yds .
went for a fitting yesterday and AP3 was best for me.
So set of Ping G400 blue dot 4/W up for sale soon as my new shinies arrive.
Price was a bit eye watering but has to be done.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Everyone's view on this is different. Some go for looks, some for performance, some for looks, some for ease of use, etc.
My viewpoint is that the final decision is probably a mixture of them all. When I chose my Callaway XR's I tried quite a few other clubs and all the other models in the Callaway range. I found the XR's easiest to hit with minimal dispersion but I can't remember if you got fitted for your AP2's. I know when I got fitted for the XR's the type of shaft also made a massive difference to consistency. In the end I settled on the UST Recoils as the results with them were far better than any of the (many) shafts I tried.

Anyway. Moan, moan, moan. Your handicap is down and you're picking up (another) prize in a couple of weeks. No pleasing some people. ;)

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a new golfer I started out with a set of G15s but just couldn't get along with the top line and look of them so swapped them out for i25's and hit the ball so much better with these.

My next job is to to get a proper fitting done and see where I go from there.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I went the opposite way, I have played Players Cavity irons for years and last year I treated myself to a set of Mizuno MP5. Now my bad shot is usually a thin and no matter of forgiveness is going to help this. Even with a lack of golf and practice my iron play hasn't been so good in years. I can turn the ball both ways, play knock down shots and get very consistent yardages. It's just a shame my short game and putting have been so poor, that's my fault for not having the time to practice.

The issue I had with GI irons I tried was I would struggle to turn the ball, but the thing o disliked the most was I would try and take some off a shot only for it to fly as far as a full shot. The only thing I can think of with the GI irons is they are very low spin, and when you try and hit a knock down shot they drop the spin down even more. This then makes the ball fly just as far as a full shot.

Thats the joy of this game, there's so many ways to play it. What works for one might not work for the next 10. Do what's right for you and your game.